Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

The email I got from them today (assume everyone that's registered got it) said that parking at De La Salle is limited so they recommend carpooling or making alternative arrangements. My plan is to arrive early, hopefully well before any overspill.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

You could probably easily park up the road at the school/church if it does fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I find Old Long Hill nearly tougher than The Wall. You know what coming on The Wall but as soon as you finish it you turn the corner and before you catch your breath there's another bloody kilometer hitting 10%.

Unfortunately I can't make the Randonee this year but it's a great spin. Good luck to all taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Make that 16% D - was looking forward to meeting up again on the Randonnée but I think you have been in the wars recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

i'm signed up for the Lite - hadn't heard of the wall before so glad to be missing it :). I reckon i'll be tacking on the spin in either direction rather than take the car

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ive only done it once and that was by accident. Old long hill and lover leap lane is the climb I do to remind myself about how much I like to curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Hopefully the change in forecast (yr.no) to ‘raining for 6 hours from 9am Saturday’, has changed early enough for it to revert back to ‘dry and no wind’ 😬!

Christ I just checked my forecast app and it looks pretty grim alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi all,

1 ticket for https://ringofclare.ie/ Value €50, selling for €40 A beautiful, scenic ride with option of 160km or 120km.

16TH JULY 2022, ENNIS, CO. CLARE

I was in the first 1,000 to register so you get a FREE JERSEY Transfers are permitted- https://ringofclare.ie/faqs/

Cheers,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

I admire your optimism, though I'm struggling to share it 😉!

We'll be out there on Saturday after 100km of pi**ing rain ... "Right, the sun is going to break through those clouds any minute now ... there'll be blue skies the far side of that hill up there".

I have to confess, I'm wavering now, despite having paid for a ticket. Anyone who completes that course if it's raining from start to finish most certainly deserves their burger afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Looking at the rain radar it looks to be dry to start with rain sweeping down from the North West later in the day. Has me thinking of setting off early, more like 8 am. The mass start barely lasts a km anyway cos the bunch splinters completely on the almost immediate climbing.

Just wondering when the food stop in Laragh opens. I may as well get my Orwell artisanal snacks for my 50 quid like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've actually managed to stay upright for a while now!! I had the Dreaded Lurgy 2 months ago and had a minor bit of heart surgery prior to that, but have just begun to get a bit of form back in the legs in the past couple of weeks . Just tied up tomorrow so won't get out. Don't worry, we'll have a spin or two soon enough. WW200 and Evil are on the agenda

Sugar anyway. Looks worse now. :(. We have until about 10am.

<sigh> Mummy, take me back to Majorca!! 😭😭

at least the wind is low!!

Will be emotionally difficult to take that sweeping left down towards powerscourt just as the heavans open... might force myself out in the AM but knock the 20km off by ignoring that turn!

My counter-intuitive road to Damascus junction is Manor Kilbride. Straight on for easy spin home, or turn east for Sally Gap again!

Yeah, that's the bail out point alright.

If you can't make it over the Wicklow Gap, well you probably chose the wrong course, TBH. But by the time the lakes are behind you, a lot of folks (myself included) will be feeling less than fresh. Manor Kilbride is often my "nearly home now" marker, with no more climbing to do. So turning for the Sally Gap at that point will require a deep breath and firm resolve!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Get yourself around in one piece, take it handy on the descents in the wet and remember Mercian Pro's safety tip.

I think I'm going to drive and leave the car and then just gear up and suck it up. That leaves me with no excuse but to Sally gap back to the start to collect the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

That weather is making it tricky to decide what to wear. I wonder if it will be chilly enough for the Mistral jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

As Brendan Behan said "the weather is so changeable, you wouldn't know what to pawn"

• Registered Users Posts: 1 davidgaughan

I have 2 tickets for the 2022 Ring Of Beara on 28th May that I'm not going to use.

If anybody knows anyone who wants to go, contact me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Its not actually that cold. The easterly breeze is gone

Was grand in the end. I toddled off early and spent 5 and a half hours on my own 🙄. Was damp all day. I just wore my winter gear and brought my winter bike. A couple of degrees colder and it would have been miserable but as it was it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

Weather wasnt the worst in the end. I averaged 24.8kmph which I was happy with. The Orwell guys are very friendly. It was an exceptionally well organised event so fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Really well organised. Super spread at the food stop. Friendly to a fault as well.

I was not in my winter gear... chilly at times

Great day out, tough but thoroughly enjoyable. Weather didn't turn out too bad after all. Drizzling most of the time. Mucky conditions but quite mild and very little wind. Fell in and out with various groups over the course. Thumbs up to the lads from Naomh Barrog CC in Kilbarrack, from whom I hitched a lift coming down from the Wicklow Gap and all along the lakes.

I did very little distance over the winter, partly due to injury, and only really got motoring again early last month. So quite happy to get around in 5h 37m moving time, 26.0 km/h average.

Thankfully, I didn't see any accidents and I hope everyone got around safely. However, there was one hair raising moment when a chap in front of me ran wide through a corner, mounted the ditch and ended up riding along the ridge of the ditch inches from a barbed wire fence. Miraculously, he stayed on board and rejoined the road again. You can guess which corner it was!!!

Finally, huge thanks to Orwell Wheelers. They do a really superb job of running this event. Marshals all over the course looking out for our safety, an absolute feast laid on in Laragh and scrummy burger at the finish! Fair play to all in the club and thanks for your efforts. 

Did the 125 in the end. Rain wasn’t too bad all day and the only wind that whipped up was the tailwind after the last assault on the sally gap. Extremely well run event, fair play to Orwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Great event and well done Orwell for getting everything right except the weather! Very impressed with two Dunboyne CC riders who led a mixed group of us around the lake. They could easily have left us behind but eased back on the climbs to keep the group together as far as Manor Kilbride.

Overall I found it tougher than previous attempts but that could be down to less training in the hills, the weather, a faster average of 24.0 or, perish the thought, a recent significant birthday 🙁

Post edited by Mercian Pro on

As others have said the overall organisation, food stops and general atmosphere are a real credit to Orwell Wheelers. It's such an enjoyable event, even on a bit of a soft day like yesterday! We did the 125km route but one of the lads in our group was suffering badly from Wicklow Gap and the Lake Drive finished him off so we ended up routing back via Ballinascorney to cut around 12km and a chunk of climbing off to get him home in one piece.

The rain really wasn't that bad thankfully but I was still very glad of my winter gear and mudguards! I definitely felt the effects of Covid from late March but am hoping yesterday might have helped me get back on track for the summer 🤞

Was over the 2 gaps today. Today was obviously the marshalls' Randonnee! Fair play to them, they deserve their day on the bike. I hope they kept some carrot cake for themselves. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

Advertisement