Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The humblebragging dishonesty of LinkedIn

Options

Comments

Saw one today about a Nigerian 27-year old "student" who made it out of Ukraine to Berlin and some naive German cuck posting on his behalf asking for English speaking jobs.

The glaring detail that screamed BS to me was the fact that this Nigerian did not have a LinkedIn profile and instead was only giving out his email address. Surely his "white knight" would have been able to set him up with a profile to link him to, but of course that would involve transparency and he would have to complete his full employment/education history which might possibly contradict his story. Better instead to try and go viral and throw in the racism angle to help.

I would love to believe him and not be so cynical, but I'm just too experienced in BS not to buy it. And most of the people who shared the same opinion as me were his fellow Nigerians, funnily enough.

Yes I love them. So raw. So brave. So performative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Lads keep them coming. I'm trying to fit at least one of these into each of my meetings. I maybe ridiculed by my close colleagues, but hr lap it up. Just remember to have fierce passion when saying bs.

The one above missed an open goal there for teary emoji.

Trying to delete a double post from long ago, alas Boards software is cr@p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

And,unsurprisingly,it's not confined to Berlin 😉

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is exactly the kind of self indulgent nauseating rubbish LinkedIn is now filled with. And anyone that had lots of Lego in the 70s/80s was Uber fcukin privileged. Certainly in Ireland

From reading the initial part of the post I was expecting a piss take. "And my granny said it was crap...which it was"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I always find it gas when they end those pointless self-absorbed stories with a rhetorical question in an attempt to sound modest:

"Is there a lesson here?"

Yes, there is a lesson. The lesson is that you are a cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Rise above the blah. The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Nearly every kid who has an interest in Lego could have built that ship themselves & not make a post about it on LinkedIn. The long winded post from a few posts above smacks of insecurity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

As an employer, I love seeing the posts on linkedIn from people we have let go.

Some you would swear were able to walk on water. The sheer delusion that some people attribute to themselves is shocking.

I honestly think fantasists exist everywhere. What these people are capable of saying in their profiles, makes me wonder why counter arguments are not allowed..;)

We had one lady (no names) who had a resume as long as your arm. Fantastic! Asked for references and all we got were worked here from "X to Y".

She started with us and immediately I felt uneasy about her manner, her attitude towards others (who have been and continue to be here a lot longer). Eventually a project she had been given one month to complete (tester project) was due. To say that it was the worst edited, worst put together, badly written and factually incorrect piece I have ever seen, is an understatement. I completed the project personally in one day.... (like I said a tester project).

Anyhoo, a week after leaving I went into read profile..... apparently she was running a division on our company and responsible for all marketing decisions.... not bad for 6 weeks in a position she failed at miserably.

This thread has inspired me. I'm going add an update saying something like "my boss came up to me and said you make awesome look crap" the abuse I'd get would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

All that was missing was the "and that little boy was Albert Einstein" at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tbf on the references bit, a lot of companies have a policy of not giving out references beyond "Person X worked here from A to B".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Saw this posted today:

"He asked if I can waive off the last ten days of his notice period.

I asked why he wants an early exit as he agreed to serve the full period.

He said that his grandmother is not keeping well. He wants to go to his native place to spend some time with her.

He was ready to buy out those ten days.

I consulted one of my peers. He said that the guy is bluffing as he would join early in the new place.

Mind felt like believing my peer, but the heart said that he wasn’t bluffing.

I accelerated the transition plan and approved an early exit at no cost to him.

I wished him well for his grandmother’s recovery.

He came to meet me a few months down the line. He lost his grandmother. He was able to spend those ten days with her. 

He cried that day. I can see gratitude in his eyes. 

"Leadership is not about just maximizing your returns, but also standing for others when they need you the most"."

I only use the Jobs and Messages pages. The only people who really post on Linked In are the people who work on it. Whether for recruitment or for being a "personality".

Sure feck it, had a quick look. Jesus, honestly it's as bad as my mother's Facebook feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Just seen one of the more than common you're a champ posts. Thanks for oversharing.

Guy, with the 4 day stubble, dishevelled appearance and the "i dont normally share these things" posts

He goes on to list his struggle with depression

Now, not to sound like an uncaring prick, which for the most part I am, but as someone that has gone through the ringer myself, and absolutely see the need to talk to someone, I feel people need to choose their audience better- although I accept they're probably not in the best position at the time to think objectively about making these choices. But Linkedin isn't it. Employers and potential employers can shite talk all they want about you're brave your strong here's a like or an applause emoji, but they're judging you. Trust me, they're judging you. Talk to a friend, talk to an Internet forum where you can remain somewhat anon but I'm not telling my boss or professional environment I'm struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep, in all honesty no one wants to employ an unbalanced nutcase- certainly if they can avoid it. You can actually talk too much about mental health difficulties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm coming across a new fad on LinkedIn, the "Founders".

Suddenly everyone is a "Founder" and starting posts with "As a Founder..."

Eh just because you start your own one man / woman band company doesn't make you some magical "Founder"

What exactly do these people think they've found?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They've found new depths up their own holes, that's about all. See also "Thought leaders" - Kev, you manage a small team of interns in a call centre, the only leading thought you have had is to call yourself a "thought leader"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"Placing rock star engineers into rocketship unicorns"

No, you are a recruiter. Get in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I saw one post recently of a picture of a tiny premature baby.

And the post went something like

"Our precious little Jake was born 2 months early.

As a project manager I'm really excited to deliver stuff early.

But this time it was different, thanks to all in company xyz etc for their support during this time "

Now seriously.

I hope Jake is ok and grows up to be a fine lad etc but there is no need to link such a personal experience to your job or company and post it on a public platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

A project manager is someone who believes that 9 women can deliver a baby in 1 month.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭foxsake

my mate posts that "rockstar" sh1t all time - he is an ops manager somewhere.

its' total cringe.

I slag him for his posts but he says he needs to "play the game". no amount of reasons/abuse will change his mind that we (the rest of the lads) are laughing at him.

some people just very insecure in their jobs that they feel they need to suck up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Kinda logical if his role means he’s surrounded by other cretins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone else notice as well the trend of companies posting pics of new employees, along with a carefully worded caption like "our new starts pictured at induction, happy to be on board and already an integral part of the team"...how can anyone be integral after one day! Plus im sure those people didnt give permission to be plastered all over the company Linkedin page which is no different to Facebook.

So many irish companies are doing this now. American work culture would probably see this as the norm, but its a very unfortunate side effect of Americanising our modern companies. Most irish people hate being paraded on social media in their jobs like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

For some reason there’s a lot of muppets out there who think starting a new job is like signing for a Champions League team. And likewise some employers play up to this to keep people happy. Doesn’t cost them a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭foxsake

you know, thats a good point I hadn't considered.

he does work in the type of environment where they all watch the rugby and late stage all Ireland not because they like it ( I know he has no interest in either) but cos they fear being left out of the loop .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,439 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What are they supposed to say if they’ve started their own business?

Founder would be the best term to use ahead of stupid once’s like CEO/President in fairness

Advertisement