Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The humblebragging dishonesty of LinkedIn

Options

Comments

• Maybe Ryanair or Aer Lingus looking for pilots? As long as your pilot has attitude doesn’t really matter about her/his skills, they can learn them along the way as they fly you to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

****, I need to go back to that site soon.

And get another job.

Time to kiss ass.

I'll so excited.

Time to reach out !!!

"I'm so excited. And I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it."

"Darling, reach out, reach out. Reach out for me. I'll be there, to love and comfort you."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You could just have put Salesforce at the top and I wouldn't have needed to read anymore.

I have had to deal with one arm of their business and fook me pink I have no idea how they ever got so successful.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is that these kind of postings are often encouraged by managers in the IT industry, not only in Ireland, but other countries as well. This alone makes the workplace sort of surreal and shallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I recently came across a post from someone who had just been in an accident - her car spun off the road and flipped on its head. She was very lucky to walk away from it.

She posted pictures of the wreckage and a story about what she had learned from the experience and how great her company was for supporting her throughout it (what the fúck was her boss gonna do , sack her?!).

She nearly dies and her reaction is to use it as an attention seeking, arse-licking exercise. Very disturbed behaviour.

The way things are going with these lunatics, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole event had been orchestrated 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

People hiring personal photographers to take pics of their graduation to share on LinkedIn I've always found a bit cringe. What was worse was during the pandemic graduation ceremonies were called off so I've seen people rent the gown and get all dolled up with bottles of champagne to welcome the postman when he delivered the parchment. Some people just crave attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Photos on Linked in are also fake a girl i went to school with is using a photo from her twenties when she was very good looking and slim now she weighs 200 lbs but still using the photo from 20 years back alway she has a beautiful face but she aint what you are going to meet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I just came across someone with the headline (the bit under their name that used to be your job title, but is now generally a verbal vomitus of alleged corporate super-powers): "One of the greatest cancer stories ever".

I actually do feel a bit bad that I initially misread it as chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Because cancer stories are generally so awesome, this one has to be extra special.

• Advertisement

Young lady posts a picture of herself dolled up and filtered to within an inch of her life. The photo is accompanied by a post giving out about all the people who don't believe she's an expert engineer because she is so gorgeous, "why don't people believe I'm an engineer, just cos I look like this" . Narcissistic on various levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭tinytobe

What I actually miss or haven't seen so far on Linked In is all sorts of things and products for men against hair loss, medically proven, or something herbal alternative oriented, and even advertisement for hair transplants. This would also include postings about men having done this treatment and have increased their ego.

Same would go for women, breast implants, etc.....

Ironically, it's something I actually expect by this stage, looking at how low linked in has gone.

But, what hasn't happened on linked in so far, is an idea for the future.....

😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I find Twitter very useful. There are Twitter communities with genuine experts who post great research, engage with other real experts and actually add value. Then I have the pleasure of cheering myself up by reading Paddy’s C’s daily nonsense.

linked-in brings very little except the odd job offer/advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

I think there’s too much Awesome Sauce being squirted around LinkedIn. Dunno when that particular country hijacked the platform to turn it into the quasi therapy look at me board it has become, but holy fook I hate LinkedIn.

celebrate this, applaud that….. where’s the “call bollox” button….. seriously emperors new clothes has nothing on LinkedIn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Seriously, someone posted this on LinkedIn 🤦‍♂️

The ironing is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's either "you need to use social media to signal that you gave up social media so it doesn't count" or "linkedin is not social media, it's professional media or smth"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭Motivator

A guy I was I played football with loves posting all his “achievements” on LinkedIn and then spends his day replying to every single comment that is left on the post. I’m not even friends with him on LinkedIn I just jump on his page to read the nonsense he posts. Comments on his latest “look at me” post include some of the following:

1. ”Thanks Jim, really appreciate you touching base with me. Hope all is well”. - he doesn’t hope all is well with Jim, it’s a lie.
    2. ”Thanks Aoife, without your support I could never have achieved this” - Aoife clicked on an automatic response to your nonsense post. She doesn’t give a shitê about you.
    3. “wow thanks so much Martin. It was an honour to work under you for the last 6 months. Without your guidance I wouldn’t be in my new role” - if Martin valued you, he wouldn’t have binned you off to another department to answer phones all day from 9 - 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LinkedIn is one of those things you "have" to have in today's job-hunting world because recruiters live on social media themselves and will question anyone who DOESN'T have a profile - ie: what are they hiding?

As a result, mine is basically my CV. Each company I've worked at with a brief description of each role. I don't post things, I don't "like" things, or engage in any of that nonsense. I don't "do" social media anyway really - with the exception of this place I suppose!

I do however get a lot of requests from sales types in companies looking to sell me something (my last few roles seem to attract these types) and in my current job some of them have gone as far as guessing my work email address to spam me there too which has to be some sort of privacy violation. A lot will be VERY pushy too in trying to setup a call to discuss whatever they're peddling. In any case, I will always be LESS inclined to do business with someone/some company who engages in this.

That said, I was approached for my current role and previous one (and possibly my next one) through LinkedIn so it does still work. When it comes to that though, I'm very clear from the off as to my expectations for a move and don't reply to any of the obvious timewasters ("you'd be a perfect fit for this lower-level role at 20/30k less than your current salary" type of thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

I just added random shite to mine to annoy folks..I couldnt care...I also posted a poll on would you sleep with a work colleague and why its ok

Drew the ire of a lot of people

Trolling linked in..Im sad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I've seen a marked increase in this in the past few months, getting emails daily to my work email trying to sell me crap - I work in IT, so it could be anything from QA resources, database platforms to SEO optimization, nothing I nor the company are remotely interested in or anything that I would be in a position to even discuss. Think there's a whole lot of scraping going on, pulling data off linkedin and other sites and just spamming people non-stop, like a 21st century cold-call. If anything, its put me off some big companies whose staff are doing it, that I would have expected to know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Having just graduated with honours from my most recent night course, I want to say thanks to @tosspottrainer for all your super awesome guidance. Without your steady hand to guide me, I may never have realised that anything I want to do is inside me, you have made me a better human. I know now that the pelicans of success are nesting deep and how to rèlease them in a winged cloud of wonder.

Response from @tosspottrainer

@attentionseeker99

Me and the gang were talking about you earlier, and we've agreed that you are without doubt the most awesome person we've ever had through our utterly useless class, and we are honoured we could be part of your journey. You have an amazingly open mind and inspirational vision. No doubt you will soon walk the earth as a god, and we looking forward to liking your never ending status updates.

Foooooooooook off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

For some reason when I was on LinkedIn earlier today there was a video of somebody trying to save a dog.

I have no idea what this has to do with getting a job as it didn’t seem to be about someone trying to get a job with a vet.

I look forward to someone posting a video of someone trying to save a cow’s life, or that of a pig, because it wasn’t just someone trying to get likes cos some people like dogs in a non-eating way, right?

What is with attention seeking nutters posting selfies of themselves "crying", along with some story about stress and anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The ukraine one-upmanship is even worse on Linkedin than on fb, instagram etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Some of the recruiters live in fcukin la la land alright. Yes I’ll leave my permanent job with a multinational, give up all my perks etc to go work for the upcoming family run business for €5k less 🙄🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

....this never happened

Inspiring….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement

Linkedin gone into overdrive since Ukraine invasion. Every attention seeker looking for their deeply meaningful angle on it all!!

Advertisement