Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpaid Restaurant Bill

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

OP Are the people who want you to settle the underpayment with the restaurant the same people who stayed there and ordered extra drinks and are they also the same people who dine there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

Yes, there was 5 of us all up, and they all stayed and drank for the rest of the Night.

also, none of them told me this when the bill problem first came up!

i couldn’t understand why a €20 meal each had come to €160. I kept questioning this but suddenly no one knew!

i am so not paying, it has gotten totally out of hand now!

There was (according to my companions)an oversight of €69 for wine not paid.

then I was Told they had divided it by us all and we all owe €18!

i really don’t know anymore.

i asked if anyone had asked to see the bill we paid for €160 that we gave a €30 tip to take it up to €190?

this included a €20 x 5 payment for us all totalling €100. There is €60 we paid that they can’t account for? Complete bollix

i paid my due and I’m done and I’ve told the women that?

I said my friend (she) has been getting the calls, not me.

my friend is the one hassling me to pay as the restaurant have told her they want my name and number!

i have told her under no circumstances is she to give my details out or I will be extremely pissed off. My other friend (Also there that night) is a regular too and they both know the staff well. This is why they are not challenging them as much as the should 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Were the bills paid by each person individually or did one person pay the first bill in full and the other four reimburse this person one fifth of the bill each and then a second person pay the second bill in full and each of the other three reimburse the second person one third of the second bill each?

Were the bills paid in cash or by card?

Was the first bill correct and did it include all food, drink, etc.. consumed up to the time it was paid?

Is the error only in the second bill and how much was the second bill for?

I'd ask to see detailed copies for both bills (and the third bill for the €69 shortfall) . If there's nothing you had on the second or third bills your four 'friends' should sort it out themselves. Pay for what they had and leave you out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

The OP said that they are paying for it!! The question was if they are legally obliged to do so? Simple inquiry with no reference to not paying it pending the response here.

Seems people don't actually read posts and shoot from the hip. The replies are pretty aggressive, to be honest. Imagine asking a legal question in a legal discussion!!

With that, I yield the mike...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

This. Also I'd see if the matter could be reported to Data Protection Commissioner. It's without doubt a misuse of your data, using it for a purpose it wasn't supplied for. It's worrying that your contact details could be reused like this after a meal, or even sold on etc.

69 euros seems a small enough price to pay to realise some of your mates are absolutely country singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,217 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ah, OK, so there's three issues here:

1. Is the restaurant entitled to recover the €69 euro for drinks ordered and paid for, but by mistake omitted from the bill that was presented? Yes, they are.
    2. Can the restaurant demand the contact details of all member of the party so they can pursue them all? They can ask, but they are not entitled to be given. But they can pursue the people whose contact details they do have for the full amount of the bill, and those people can then look for contributions from the others.
    3. Are the OP and other members of the group, who left before the wine was ordered and so didn't order it or drink it, obliged to contribute to the cost of the wine? Depends on the agreement between the members of the party, but probably not. Meaning (a) if the restaurant successfully recovers from someone who ordered and drank the wine, they are not entitled to a contribution from the OP and others who didn't; and (b) if the restaurant recovers from someone who neither ordered nor drank the wine, they are entitled to a full contribution (i.e. the entire cost) from those who did.

Advertisement