Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpaid Restaurant Bill

Options
  • 04-10-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi

I'm just looking for a legal stance on this.

I was out for a meal with friends in a restaurant lately and we asked for the bill, which we paid plus a €30 tip.

The restaurant contacted one of us through our covid contact number and said they forgot to put the drinks on it (€69) euro.

What would you? Have they a right to bombard us like this when it was their own fault?

We will pay it, but are we legally obliged to? I just think the way they have gone about it is very rude.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

It doesn’t sound like you were bombarded tbf. Everyone makes mistakes, just pay the bill, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

They have been calling daily! I would call that 'bombarded'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Bombard"?

Sounds like the rude part was them having the cheek to ask at all...

Nobody in your group noticed that the bill had no drinks on it or was about €70 short of what was expected? Sure.

Legally I believe that since you got the drinks then the debt applies and should be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I'm sure they don't have the right to take payment from the card without asking but they absolutely have the right to request full settlement of the bill regardless of who's mistake it was. I can't see why you wouldn't be legally obliged to settle it either. You're certainly morally obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why do they have to call daily? Surely they are calling daily because your party won't pay their bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Pay the bill and that stops the daily calls? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,963 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious, at the time of bill being presented, did no one notice, no drinks were charged for, if after initial call was made by the restaurant and clearly ignored, its not unreasonable to expect follow up calls from the restaurant, you may consider it bombarding, I call it follow up. Based on the Tip you paid and shared in your OP, can we assume you were happy with your dining experience?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Ok I hadn’t realised that. If your friend isn’t paying you should contact the restaurant and settle it. No need to drag it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

I would probably pay for the €69 euro worth of drinks and forget about it myself. That is usually how it works when you order drinks in a restaurant or bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,965 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You paid the bill that they issued you with.... you are under no legal obligation to audit it for mistakes or query it.

the error was theirs, therefore they can ask you to pay... ( poor practice in my view ) but they can’t legally make you in my opinion... Bill is a legal document, they issued you with one, you paid with tip... in the aftermath they realized an error.

Their focus should be on ensuring the errors are not repeated... investigation, retraining, added verification procedures for totals over xx euros, whatever...

• Advertisement

I'd probably just offer the 39 euro and say you want your tip back to be honest if there asking for it.

So members of the service staff should be penalised, sounds fair 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

Hi, we genuinely didn't notice, just looked at the total. I will call them and pay it though, I just think they are being rude about it as they are quite horrible on the phone to my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,362 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It sounds more like your friend was rude to them on the phone first. If they're bombarding him by calling daily, that means it wasn't sorted out and agreed to the first time they called. Your friend should have agreed to pay up at that point. I'm guessing your friend either said no to them or said he'd get back to them (and didn't), hence why they've had to resort to calling daily. I mean, you're even posting here asking whether you legally have to pay knowing that you still haven't paid them. If you're going to pay them, why prolong it further?

A mistake was made. Just pay up and move on. If you're unhappy with them, don't go there again.

Not so simple, lets examine that theory. A customer was presented a detailed bill, presumably checks the bill, let's be generous and say they didn't notice no drinks were charged, pays with a Tip and leaves.

Let's not be generous and hypothetically, a customer does notice no drinks were charged for, what would you propose we call that 🤔

I'm not suggesting this is the case, but the restaurant could easily argue a deliberate attempt was made not to pay for goods and services supplied. There's a word for it but let's not go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

• Registered Users Posts: 14,446 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

On the flip side, if you’re the restaurant would it not be worth just taking the hit now for fear of likely stopping a returning customer from ever coming back by pleading with them for the payment?

And I completely understand it was a genuine mistake , I'm just quite surprised at some of the responses to be honest and I know , particularly in a group situation, bills not scrutinised.

My impression is a member of staff got into trouble and was frantically trying to resolve the matter under pressurefrom owner/manager etc . As we know, the sector is struggling but I'm glad the decent thing is being done 😏

Don't go there 😄 presume your referring to that clown in Alfies paying a staff member in 5cent coins, should be noted, NOT the first time that F*****r did that .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,364 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

surprised GDPR hasn't been brought up.

They used contact information given specifically for Covid related matters for a matter not related to Covid. You can only use identifiable information for the purpose it was collected for.

On the general topic, I'd pay the missing money. Sure, its kinda annoying when you thought you had paid the money, but you ate the food and drank the drink. So pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

GDPR...Christ above

Just pay the bill for the items you consumed like a decent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

The poster is right, they should not be contacting a customer via information provided for these reasons. Thats a fact.

I would however pay them for their bill. No doubt it came out of someone elses pocket (be it a staff member who incorrectly handled the bill etc...) to cover the loss. Its the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,965 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As a customer you pay a company what they request for those goods and or services. If you notice the bill is wrong and say nada ? I wouldn’t do that personally.. id highlight it.

that said what is the point of the customer checking the bill in detail in this scenario ? There wouldn’t have been any way to satisfactorily verify it’s accuracy given there were multiple people, multiple items and courses ordered over a duration of time...

the failure is on behalf of the business, not on behalf of the client ... there is no legal requirement on the behalf of a client of a business that they audit bills for errors. They paid what was requested of them... if the business was on point ‘they’ should have enabled the cashier to let the server take a look and verify, he / she could have said “ shît, we didn’t charge them for drinks”.

Chasing down people in their homes after the event isn’t kosher, it’s unprofessional and invasive .

Im thinking, “because of your incompetence you could have overcharged us as easily as undercharged us and now you are hassling us at home, because YOU made an error “...

as a business you’d need be wary, multiple people, relating that experience multiple times will lead to a bad rep and lost business.. I’m one of those people there I’d be diligent not to offer repeat custom but I would as a matter of course tell others about the negative experience.

You seem to be ignoring favourable comments with infantile attitude OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,288 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they were presented with a bill and paid. Any attempt to paint it as some sort of criminal act on the part of the customer is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya it needs to be paid but it does raise the question re using the contact info provided for contact tracing for other purposes.

I believe the restaurant are on very dodgy ground there.

In your opinion, and whilst I'm not for a second suggesting any criminality it could equally be a matter of civil law, I've simply explained your blanket opinion is certainly questionable and easily open to dispute albeit a matter such as this normally resolved amicably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You order goods, you owe for them. The fact that a mistaken bill is presented does not change that.

If an amended bill is presented, you are obliged to pay it. Some member of the staff may be in the position of being forced to pay it from his wages.

In my experience, bills should be checked to ensure additional items are not being added in. If you had done this there would

have noticed you were being under-charged. It is similar to being given too much change. keeping more change than you are entitled to is theft.

It could easily be argued the establishment got the details from a booking, enquiry etc .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭SteM

What argument could they make that 'a deliberate attempt was made not to pay for goods and service supplied' when they supplied the bill for the goods and services and the bill was paid?

Advertisement