Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-British Xenophobia and Hatred in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ah, ok. I must be anti-Irish then because I argue a certain case.

If that is the case, does that mean you are anti-British? Ironic eh if one looks at the thread title.

You didnt think this through did you.

For those interested, there were 700 racist incidents reported in Ireland in 2020, up from 530 in 2019, which is a massive 32% increase in just one year. For those complaining about UK racism maybe best to keep your powder dry and look closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And 84% of BAME people think that Britain is very or somewhat racist.

But of course that wouldn't interest you would it. Because it isn't having a go at the Paddys. 😉

Do you not feel a bit silly using singular data...which ignores the rise of abuse againest muslims/indian folk in uk,particularly in recent years?

Tommy robinson and EDL are quite large presence and other than the retarded first past post electoral system,would likely have several MPs (not that i support em,but its a simple.fact of life)

Quite a corner yous have painted yourself into imo

There's a lot in the EU midis ii report that seems to be omitted for whatever reason. And while the stat about Sub Saharan Africans and there perception of racism in Ireland is nothing to scoff at and indeed needs to be tackled, it doesn't tell the whole story. But of course, the likes of Mark isn't interested in telling the whole story and would rather hide behind a slight of hand in an effort to score some points.

There are few people here that would hold any credence to the idea that Ireland, in general terms, is a more racist place than the UK because the UK has a history of racism against all its minorities. Over the past couple of years we've seen the headlines about the rise of racism against Muslims and other people of South Asian origin. There's been a rise in anti-Semitic attacks throughout Britain too and a rise in attacks on people of Chinese origin.

Of course, none of that will be on any interest to Mark because there's no stick there to beat the Micks with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You havent posted any stats though. All you've posted is a poll using a flawed question and methodology. Staistics are based on facts and a poll is not.

• Advertisement

If you travel the uk,yous will have not have to scrath too hard to find someone whom voted for brexit so as their eastern european neighbours down the road would go home....whereas you'll do well to find someone here isnt reasonably good work-mates with someone from eastern europe (and this is whats driving alot of calls to regulate housing crisis,peoples friends are being screwed)

Its really comparing apples and oranges,while acknowleging there is issues about here too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭rock22

It was me, not Mark , who posted the survey data from the EU. Irrespective of any deficiency in the study itself, what is clear is that racism is at least as likely to be experienced in Ireland as in the UK.

The study does not answer the implied question in the thread title, is there an increase in anti British xenophobia and hatred in Ireland. I would caution against using views expressed here, or anywhere on the internet, as evidence.

But Brexit has given us a new perspective on Britain. The whole Brexit process has seen a huge rise in anti European rhetoric from certain sources in the UK and we have been a target for much of that. We even had some , like Farage, attempt to take Ireland out of the EU. We have a UK government who are admitted liars and yet they expect to be treated as serious players on the world stage. For instance in hosting COP26. How can anyone trust the UK to live up to anything it agrees?

In those circumstances , it is not surprising that a lot of people in Ireland adopt an anti UK position. But that isn't xenophobia or hatred. It is a realisation that we must defend ourselves from the UK political elite and their plans.

Irrespective of any deficiency in the study itself, what is clear is that racism is at least as likely to be experienced in Ireland as in the UK.

Across a singular demographic only. As far as other races are concerned, we don't even register. We have a large Chinese population, but they are nowhere to be found on that survey. Likewise, numerous other minorities are absent with regards to the UK. There are no Jews mentioned for example who, if we are to go by newspaper reports, experienced a severe rise in attacks upon them over the last few years.

All in all, the EU Midis II report comes across as very flawed and incomplete.

But Brexit has given us a new perspective on Britain.

It certainly has. A large proportion of people voted for it based purely or in part on racist motivations. In addition there is a pro Brexit PM who openly spouts racist remarks and who actively downplays racism in his country. Britain is also a country where the likes of Tommy Robinson can flourish and someone like Nigel Fararge can be voted into the EU as an MEP. It's a country where members of its Royal Family quit because they were hounded by the press and even faced racism from a member (I wonder who that was). It's a country where some of it's international footballers were called "niggers" because they lost a match.

I would posit, however, that despite the allegations against both nations, that nether is rampant with racist sentiment. But, quite clearly, when all things are considered and the entirety of the situation is taken on board, the UK is worse than Ireland in general terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,337 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

In the eyes of some Irish, with generational inferiority complexes, criticism of the British state and it's actions is not allowed. Especially if it comes from a demographic likely to have suffered negatively from the ongoing actions of that state.

The absolute delight found in an opinion poll that showed we have a serious racism issue (whether it is accurate or not) because it showed the Irish were worse than the British was cringe tbh.

That’s the big difference between the UK and Ireland imho. The UK accepts that racism is a problem and is prepared to address the issue.

Ireland will just get a bunch of white guys together and decide that the Irish aren’t racist and in fact the Irish are generally a great bunch of lads, just ask Matt Damon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Whilst i have said that Ireland is more racist than Britain, i should add some context.

Ireland is a million, million miles away from the level, depth and history of cultural mix and integration of Britain. Ireland doesn't have whole counties where the majority is now the minority. It doesn't have towns where there are no "locals" left.

It hasn't had any experience with large scale generational immigration. It doesn't have the relics of an old empire feeding its cultural mix.

Ireland is very much just waking up to the realities of immigration which is ironic given its penchant for emigration.

So when i say that Ireland is more racist than Britain, there is good reason which is it has yet to really experience large scale immigration.

I'm still amazed at how white and Christian-european Ireland is. People of colour are beginning to appear but they are few and far between. I almost never see indians. Pakistanis, or Asians in general. There are the odd few nigerians and those of African descent.

Ireland is just at the beginning of the modern move to a more homogeneous cultural mix.

When somebody can get to be PM after uttering racist comments then you certainly do have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Let me help you. I think you meant "heterogenous".

I'm glad that's the only issue you have with my comment.

The reasons the indians,pakis,afgans/coulered folk are rare,is because despite alot of narrative to the opposite,ireland is bloody hard to immigrate permenantly into

Ive a mate,who married someone from central america,(discussion on merits of this for another day),and the hoops they had to jump through to get her a visa and prove marraige/relationship was real... suprised me as regards how deep it was investigated/scrutinised......

plus most the folks i known who parthnered up with non-EU people in london,simply moved to sydney/melbourne given the hassle of getting residency here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I like that...

Ireland is very much just waking up to the realities of immigration which is ironic given its penchant for emigration.

Worth repeating that Emigration (originally) wasn't a lifestyle choice as could be implied by that.

While there's always been UK nationals in Ireland.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpnin/cpnin/uk/

Immigration from other counties in significant numbers is a recent change, really only started in the Celtic tiger 15~20yrs ago.

In the last few years there's been a shift in this, taking in refugees and such, in large numbers and concentrating them in small areas. Often due to the housing crisis. Which causes its own problems.

This would be the PM that has the most ethnically diverse cabinet in Europe?

The reason “coloured” folks (whatever the **** “coloured means”) are rare is because up unt fairly recently, Ireland was a piss poor country that people couldn’t wait to get away from, let alone emigrate to.

Ever hear of 'window dressing'?

The fact is that a journalist who made many racist remarks was able to get to be PM...before he put together a 'diverse' cabinet. That suggests to me a society that is tolerant of attitudes like his or is prepared to look the other way.

• Advertisement

What an incredibly condescending piece of bollocks.

are you saying that the likes of Rishi Sunak, Nadhim Zahawi and Kwasi Kwarteng are there purely for window dressing, or that they have such low self respect they would work for a guy who is the racist you seem to think he is?

absolute condescending uneducated bollocks. Even by your standards.

He sacked and lost that many he was running out of choice. For a while there I thought I might get a call up! 😁 His first cabinet had the likes of Amber Rudd in it and Pritti Patel. In his own likeness, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

How is it bollocks? The likes of Sunak, Zahawi and Kwarteng could well be just like the sort of self loathing, forelock tugging sort that we have here in our own country.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Aegir must think we live in a media blackout. Johnson fancies himself as Churchill, ingrained racism and all.

Does he think we don't see the pearl necklace stuff around what's her name that married the prince or Diana and her fling with Dodi?

Boris's racism is tolerated because it's so prevalent.

The word that sums up what you just wrote is "overreach".

No it isn't.

Nobody is as deaf as the accused huh?.

Well, you probably know more about that than I do. I’ll give you that.

This is bizarre even for you.

Diana and Dodi ffs. Where do you get this stud from.

actually, don’t answer that, I think we know.

As could Priti Patel, James Cleverley, Kemi Badenoch…….

actions speak much louder than words.

• Advertisement

Lol.

Reminds me of a time when a lot of English folk billed their country as «"no future ".

In Regent’s Park, a young punk had let out a loud "**** the Queen!"

upon which a prim old lady in a funny hat answered:

Oh!!!! But you caun’t approach huh!

Advertisement