Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-British Xenophobia and Hatred in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,317 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir, Britain's struggles with race and class are no secret. Do you want me to find some of your own journo's and writers thoughts on it?

Boris got to be PM because his inherent racism is the norm rather than unusual. FFS it is only a wet week since you stopped the 'piccaninnie' stuff on your 'comedy' shows and only because you had to. Lowest common denominator stuff but it all had massive audiences that saw nothing wrong with racial stereotypes and racial demeaning.

Boris is not unique by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

What goes into these shyster politicians wallets and their desire for showcasing pretend power is their actual action. Shysters they may be, but that doesn't stop them knowing what way the wind is blowing. Shysters are adepts at it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

and yet the UK has the most diverse political make up in Europe. Mainly because roles are given to those best suited for them

unlike Ireland where the best white Irish man is given the job.

Yeh, Pritti Patel so suited to looking after her ethnic brethren.

Aegir, you might think you can pull the wool...you can't. It's all there on the record.

P.S. Nobody, certainly not me, is arguing Ireland is a paragon of virtue, so your attempts to get a dig in are kinda redundant and revealing of the dodgy ground you are on here.

Britain has a problem with race from the monarchy down to the writers of tacky sitcoms. Your PM has had a notable track record of making some classic racist comments but still reached the highest office in the land available (without being born into it. We won't go into what you needed to be, to be a part of the monarchy, nor who they excluded because they weren't the right religion or race.)

more absolute waffle from you as always

Yes, the UK has a problem with racism. A problem it knowingly tackles head on, as I said earlier. More so than any other country in Europe. for example, when the UK left the eu, the number of MEP’s of colour reduced from 17 to 9. An organisation that represent 50 million people of colour has 9 bame MEPs which when you consider that this includes the people of places as diverse as Aruba and Martinique is pretty pathetic

yiu seem to think the UK is some kind of nazi boot camp Francis, which it certainly isn’t and this is reflected in the diversity of the parliament that represents the people, the make up of the sports teams and the the diversity of the media

but you know all this, all you are doing is showing your own anti British xenophobic bias

as always

• Advertisement

Ah, here we go with the 'Nazi' stuff that nobody mentioned and a totally classic 'look over there' rather than deal with the noted racism of your PM. Racism that was known to all who voted for him.

But all we are gonna get is...look at themun's, they are worse. Is there a premier of any country in the western world who has Boris's track record, bar Trump?

There’s no point trying to have a grown up conversation with you.

a thread about anti British xenophobia and you accuse others of shouting look over there.

you really are the gift that keeps on giving.

This conversation started when you decided to blow your own trumpet and have a snide dig at this country when the thread veered off topic to talk about racism in general. Yu got called out on that and now, predictably want to take the ball home.

The UK tackles racism far better than Ireland does Francis. Racism here, like everything else that is uncomfortable, is just swept under the carpet. Just look at the thread about Black History month, people are comparing being black to being ginger ffs and fail to grasp that being a person of colour is about a lot more than having dark skin.

sorry if that upsets you.

Doesn't upset me one bit and I agree with it 'being swept under carpets'.

Would you agree that a journalist making the racist comments Johnson has made, making it to the PM's office and never facing sanction is classic 'brushing it under the carpet'?

• Advertisement

Surely the fact it is being discussed nearly twenty years after he made those comments would suggest it certainly hasn’t been swept under the carpet.

he made stupid comments and has been chastised for them. He recognizes they were wrong and apologised. Sooner or later you have to move on.

AFTER he became PM.

His comments/track record was well known and he still got elected, which brings me back to the point. How does that happen in what you are boasting is a society that deals with racism properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is hilarious tbh.

In other posts you were banging on about statistics and facts to try and prove a point, then when it's shown via a EU poll that racism towards blacks is much worse in Ireland than in the UK, you dismiss it...

I have shown that racist incidents increased from 2019 to 2020 by 32%..... but your stock answer...

'Sure racism exists everywhere, nothing to see here... move along now.... we have to talk about how bad da Brits are....'

Yes, racism exists everywhere and according to that poll, racism against black people in Ireland is much much worse than in the UK. It must be devastating for you to hear and acknowledge that.

Agreed.

The Home Secretary (Priti Patel) and the Chancellor of the Exchequer (Rishi Sunak) are arguably the two most important cabinet positions in the UK government. Yet, we have Francie saying they are as 'Window Dressing'.

It is actually not just bollox, it is racist bollox as the implication is that they are token appointments because of their race and ethnicity, they are not there on merit alone, because god forbid someone not white could be actually good at their job....

The mask slips and still, we have to fight age-old racist tropes.

I think it's like reality imitating art.... a thread about Anti-British Xenophobia proving without a doubt that Ireland has an issue with it, and the usual crew on fire again with their 'arguments'.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

A perfect example of the Irish response to a discussion on racism.

Deafness, with a heavy salting of outrage and offence and a side serving of whataboutery. All washed down. With a glass of victim blaming.

How predictable.

Mark, where have I denied the results of the EU survey?

Can you show that?

Yes, No you can't.

It is not devastating to me, I know racism exists here and I don't measure it against any other country, I do my best to call it out when I see it happening. You are not interested in the victims of racism your only interest here is to make sure the British are better than the Irish. How predictable.

I didn't say they were 'token' appointments and I never mentioned Sunak. I mentioned Johnson's first cabinet, the one he chose when not under duress. I mentioned the likes of Rudd and Patel.

I said that in the case of Patel her race/ethnicity has no benefit for those of the same race/ethnicity. So her 'diversity' is of no consequence. In the same way 'some Irish' people when given the chance became bigger oppressors of their own people than the British themselves.

This was ALL in response to your off topic little quip where you boasted about the British being better. Nothing more.

I am still waiting for some of you to present some actual data on the topic - Anti-British Xenophobia in Ireland.

why should Priti Patel's race/ethnicity be of benefit to those of the same race/ethnicity? she is British, she is the home secretary and she happens to have Indian heritage. Her job is to look after all of the UK's people's whatever race/ethnicity they are.

Jesus Francie, you really don't get this, do you? You really struggle with the concept that race and nationality are two different things entirely.

So what's the point of a 'diverse' cabinet then Aegir? You were the one boasting about it.

• Advertisement

what are the benefits of diversity?

ooh, maybe things like difference of backgrounds giving different perspectives. A clear demonstration that the colour of your skin is not a barrier to holding a senior position, having a cabinet and government that is reflective of the people they serve, you know, those kind of things?

So when Priti (just one of the things she has done) voted for the Bills that led to the Windrush shambles, that was 'reflective' of the people she serves?

I think you just proved my point there Aegir, that just like those Irish who became worse than the oppressors, so too did the daughter of immigrants.

'Diversity' at cabinet, yeh great!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I've looked at a few sites which tabulate the lack of BAME representation amongst MEPs post Brexit.

Its interesting, though I think the figures are flawed as the sites seem to look at the numbers from a UK point of view. i.e., what the UK consider BAME or immigrants.

So for example the figures seem to exclude Spanish and Portuguese MEPs who are the children of immigrants from South America (and in some cases actually born in South America). People from South America are the bulk of the immigrant population in these countries for historic reasons of colonization, much the same way India/Pakistan veer towards the UK. Logically these South American origin MEPs would be counted as BAME if the figures were done fairly.

The Windrush debacle affected people (and their offspring) who had emigrated from the Caribbean, often referred to as the West Indies in the UK, not to be confused with India, where Priti Patels grandparents were born, before emigrating to Uganda.

However, if there had been a descendent of the Windrush generation in the cabinet at that time, the whole thing may have been prevented, or at least nipped in the bud

ID cards are the real answer, but for some odd reason no one wants to go there.

The Windrush debacle affected people (and their offspring) who had emigrated from the Caribbean, often referred to as the West Indies in the UK, not to be confused with India, where Priti Patels grandparents were born, before emigrating to Uganda.

Is that a defence?

Jaysus. I give up. 'Diversity' at cabinet didn't benefit the diverse. Classic 'window dressing' scenario.

You said that BoJo's POC cabinet appointments were 'Window Dressing'.

That is a racist trope you just used. Just own it Francie for once. You used racist language and a racist trope to fight an argument.

And I know your form on here. You will spend the next 24 hours dancing on a pinhead claiming with a straight face, that you actually meant something else, that you were on about this or that, or the neighbour or the EU, or the planet pluto because that is what you do when your arguments come back at you. Spin, deceive, deflect, dance a mighty dance on a pinhead, change the subject, laugh it off, call everyone else a liar, etc..

The question..

This would be the PM that has the most ethnically diverse cabinet in Europe?

Your answer..

Ever hear of 'window dressing'?

So, well done on using racist language and tropes to fight Irelands cause that Ireland does not have a problem with anti-British Xenophobia.

I don't measure it against any other country, I do my best to call it out when I see it happening. You are not interested in the victims of racism your only interest here is to make sure the British are better than the Irish. How predictable.

How can someone be diverse?

diversity isn’t a case of “oh, that person has brown skin therefore they represent all non white people”.

diversity is about having a mix of backgrounds and experiences.

• Advertisement

No, I won't argue with it or dance on any pinhead.

I give you a classic example of how it was 'window dressing' 'tokenism'. The is nothing racist in that.

Pritti Patel.

She has become worse than those who oppressed and discriminated against immigrants. Her vote for the Bills that caused the Windrush scandal are not the only incidence of that.

Advertisement