Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Range Rover Velar ignored in Ireland

• 27-09-2021 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭ goochy

Was in Tullamore yesterday and spotted a high spec. Velar with big wheels . Looked very impressive with nearly as much presence as a full fat Range Rover . Got me thinking aside from seeing the odd basic spec. model with small wheels , you dont see many on the road or in dealers showrooms.

With better looks ( with right spec. ) and a better badge than the Discovery and a similar price , why arent these flying out of the showrooms like say the RR sport is ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭ ba_barabus

The Discovery is more usable for families, its therefore considered expensive for what it is. When you could just pay a little more and have a proper Range Rover.

Due to taxes, it really doesn't make sense here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ freddieot

I had an X5 until a couple of years ago and really liked the look of the Velar and was waiting for it to be released. It looks stunning IMO.

However, although I don't go up mountain passes. I don't see the logic of not having a rear wash wipe on a vehicle that size and dimensions. In other words, not practical enough. Mate bought a new RR Sport a few days ago and again, even though when buying most of these vehicles, it's s prestige \ heart purchase, it's just a lot more practical that the Velar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭ goochy

yes but is the Sport not alot more expensive than the Velar ? Dont know what it is , but have never like the current or original Sport model - just think the design is very cluttered.

Yes , i know someone working with them also who says they make them too complicated also ( probably why they drive so well ) , mind you Irish motorists seem to love Land Rovers - there is still good demand for even say 15 year old models .

Its obviously the image and driving experience that does it for people. Definitely think a well specced Velar beats a RRS for looks / image.

• Advertisement

sorry thats not a typo ? 11k more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭ gearoidol

not a typo ,amazed , went to the garage with a friend who was interested in buying , he purchased a disco commercial , bought velar and defender commercial the same day , incredible trade in value.

i spotted your reg surrounds , that same dealer you bought your current Velar from ? They arent big into used sales - seem to sell most vehicles in the trade.

have been dealing with that group for a while now ,along way away from me but always seem to get a deal done

• Advertisement

yes i noticed quite a few vehicles in Dublin from them also , so must be doing good deals - just surprised if they are selling off alot of their trade ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ Robertr

I was crazy about them on paper, before they came out, but was disappointed when I went to see one. I found them quite small on the inside compared with anything else in the range. Also the pricing was crazy when you spec'd it to look like the launch images.

I assume they have made it small on inside so as not to take away sales from other models they produce

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ buzzerxx

How is the new Velar going for you? I have a 2018 rdynamic velar

It's b

It's a fab car to be fair,the p400e is a joy, dead silent , fantasticly economical if not doing journeys over 180km in one go too often , new pivi pro has sorted all the infotainment gremlins... Very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ Montage of Feck

You say it like it's a bad thing OP? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ California Dreamer

Another X5 driver here and had the chance to rent a Velar on holidays last year and was sooooooo underwhelming!

After 4 days I wanted to return it, certainly not a drivers car. Like a hippo on chocolate skates!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭ Rowley Birkin QC

What kind of money are they in any of the spec mentioned here?

I don't have kids, don't drive a whole pile (<12k km/yr) and like a nice car but I'm always astonished at the amount of these (what I'm assuming are €80/90k+) RR's floating around. I had a loan of a full fat RR Vogue for a weekend a few months back and it was certainly a nice place to sit but the fuel consumption was astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ buzzerxx

Advertisement