Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix the traveller community

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irish2021traveller

That's the revenues problem blame them. not social welfare man travellers and settled community alike need that as a life line. everyone is intitled to social welfare and the revenue red flag them to pay or not to pay an individual so start at the head for the problem doc before u think cutting off the hand is the solution

Your entire comment made no point I can follow or sense. Come back to me with a better point and I we might have a conversation 😉

I agree with you there from a time where it's bad to say. running water and toilets being built in a halting site in the middle of a field was breaking news. There's not pushing the right angles and questions there needs to be a change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Change always has to come from within a community. People have said education, however children are more likely to stay in education when it’s important to their family and their parents are supportive of it. If a particular group or community doesn’t value education then the kids tend not to go as far as their peers.

Agreed but The community is separated by factions i.e wards .mcdonaghs. mongans all have there own circle within a circle so the problem is there yes but it's the so called spokes people pavee point that has missed the step and needs to band together with a better solution then more free halting site Jesus that was a problem 30 years Go Get a different dream like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well it isn't and you have said this a number of times on the thread. Our tax system is done on a self assessment basis. This relies on citizens being honest and upfront with Revenue for the good of society. It is not upto them to force you to pay taxes (although they can choose to audit you at any point).

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mikethecop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Except that at one part sounds awfully like a protection racket:

"Oh we smashed up your pub....well, if you hire my nephew to work the bar its all good and we wont in the future *wink*" So would every establishement, from pub to hotel to shop up and down the country, have to have a Traveller on payroll to stop Travellers acting like thuggish, stealing **** within their premises? Because that sounds ludicrous.

And as for refusing to serve some Travellers not being discrimination, it would be fine for the young lads family or immediate relatives....but what about a rival family his doesnt get along well with? Traveller feuds are very well known (one of the primary causes of most of the violent eruptions at weddings/funerals/Tuesdays it seems) so how will it stand for the publican who has now nailed one particular families colours to his mast by hiring the young lad, hasnt he?

Ya buddy you found us out it's a conspiracy to steal your jobs or we break your pubs up other wise With that in mind why hire a traveller at all. Sickening to be straight with you and then ask travellers to become more social and that's the way to definitely get us to like you more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mikethecop

well they already have plenty guns i suppose but mostly stolen shot guns from rural farmers .

i really dont think i need to worry about an organised army of travellers taking control though

they cant even organise a christening or wedding with out killing each other

also no i m not going to follow your twitter,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hi.

Let's talk about now.

Travellers are welcome as any child in school.

Travellers are given homes for free.

Although the sharks in welfare may like to see you starve, they cannot and do not.

Many travellers flaunt their commodities, welfare entitlements and cash. If i was brought up in that environment with my parents and peers endorsing it, it is likely that i would follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Education is key but they don’t want it. Have taught a handful of travellers throughout the last few years. Have caused the school enormous issues for zero benefit. None of them went past JC, few even done it. Behavioural problems galore. Zero respect for women I thought.

Its a cyclical thing. Those kids will go on to have their own who in turn won’t give a shite about school either. Very few if any break the chain. In an educational context, they aren’t worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Travellers are just bad if there in gangs of 200 or more say for example a wedding or a funeral, some tend to Rob for a living and I agree that most don't get 3rd level education but in there defence I know 6 travellers that have gone to school and college and are high up in life.

They thought the same about woman less then 100 years ago that they can't be teached anything and they should just be left in the kitchen don't mean they where right. And children pick up on subtle hits and if they feel that the teacher don't care or think it's worth teaching them instead of being refused it's easier to pretend they don't care. Speaking from experience

Let's talk about now then so

Travellers are welcome legally in school but the stigma is still there only recently there was a teacher fired from a second level school in Galway for saying to a traveller girl that there isn't any point in going back over an assignment she missed because and I quote (she will just get married or have a baby and get married she will decide what ever comes first and never need it ) luckily there was a uproar not from faculty but from fellow students and that teacher got fired other wise it would have disappeared as if it never happens.

I have raised this issue with my forum I don't agrees with traveller dedicated accomadation i.e halting sites but if your going to nite pic why not take a look at the council housing program for all nationals in country is that ok or is it just because it's dedicated to travellers that's got you all hot and bothered.

And as for the sharks in social welfare

I have witnessed first hand for travellers ask them for ever piece of proof of income down to there parents income( that do not live with them) to give them the basic rate of social welfare and have them jump rings for almost a week but give a settled lad the forms to fill out for dole and have it stamped that same day. Like the problem that has gone viral and against popular beliefs not all travellers are wealthy but sad to say it's guilty until proven poverty in the welfare office.

As I said YouTube video call outs needs to legally attacked under the laws of gang crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

But women wanted to be educated and wanted the right to vote, etc. They fought for it and achieved it. Travellers don’t want to be educated, at least in the vast, vast majority of cases.

In regards to me not caring, I do care and always try but genuinely you receive nothing back. You can only bring a horse to water you can’t make him drink it. For example, in about three hours time I will give a traveller a school book which I keep in a press for him along with his copy (both of which I sourced). He will take it for an hour and do absolutely nothing despite years of encouragement. Not much more I can do pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thats just not true. Money laundering legislation means banks would have to ask in property transactions where money comes from.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Give them all the road works jobs as they are good with tarmac boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They're kept in a state of ignorance by their menfolk and peers. Marry young, pump out kids and they're trapped like the settled community 1950's housewife. Sow distrust of anything that comes from the wider community and state, bar welfare of course, don't take that job or college course.. they're only out to get us, we'll look after you instead etc.

If they and in turn their kids got a proper education a dated way of life would come crashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, not a pikey.

a word not generally used anymore apart from by a certain type.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's impossible to comment honestly & impartially on threads to do with travellers on boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I tend to agree with this sentiment, and I point to a survey which is nothing more than a smaller sample size of wider society's views on travellers.

This survey found that not a single Garda had positive or favourable views of travellers. Not one. So either every single Garda is a bigot, or there really are severe problems within that community. When crime statistics are withheld on public policy grounds, you know there's a problem.

That's called forbidden knowledge. You are not permitted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

So the other students stood up for the traveller girl and the perpetrator got punished.

What is your point?

Empathy was shown.

Let me ask you honestly: what is the opinion of the settled community within the traveller community?

I ask, because i believe it is disdain and hatred.

I grew up watching my mother ensuring that she got extra in weekly shop for the travellers that called to our door. In later years, the same ones swindled her via a false illness story.

My mum aided that specific family of 24, weekly for 30 years. I recall when the flats were built and they were housed, going up with her on xmas eve's with extra boxes. Coming home from abroad and hearing of the swindle on her, in her elderly years, still sickens me, but i firmly believe that there is hope and i try to not let it skew my opinion.

I have never in my life witnessed an ounce of empathy shown by travellers towards settled community or animals, bar a false "god bless ya mam" on receipt of freebies.

Post edited by Andrea B. on

Advertisement