Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extra Bank Holiday and other compensation for Covid

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,528 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I neither work for the HSE nor own a car so I've no reason to be on the defensive.

Many taxpayer-funded services have been outsourced to "charities", mostly religious, as long as the State has existed and some for quite a while before that. Many (not all) of these staff have similar T&Cs to public servants with similar duties, but are paid less. So we get a half-assed service, badly managed, state pays the bills but has little control, no financial transparency as to where the "charity"'s funds really go, the staff aren't being paid what they should, and the service users are regarded as charity cases not people with rights and entitlements.

I use inverted commas around "charity" because charitable giving is a voluntary act, paying taxes is not. Taking taxpayer funds and giving them to these bodies is not charity.

Everyone gets shafted - except the Catholic Church which has always regarded vulnerable children and adults as fair game and a captive audience for preaching... or worse.

Scrap the cap!

Whooosh. The point flew right over your head.

Another bank holiday means more business / income / tips for hospitality staff, you'd think they'd be appreciative of that after what's happened to the industry, but you're still whinging.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Your point was quite clear, snide, demeaning and silly , quite an achievement for a one like comment, didn't fly over my head at all.

I'm sure the hospitality staff that are left are tickled pink all together.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I like the idea of a bank holiday. Finally something for the working person and not just those on social welfare.

I do feel for self employed people though who will get no benefit.

Eactly.

Like a lot of other people, if I don't work, I don't get paid. coming off the back of 18 months where I seemed to be not working more than working, an additional day of not getting paid isn't exactly welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect the new BH be in July as summer best...

Trouble it need be early in month so we have choice between 4th and 12th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

If you don’t want snide and demeaning points you probably shouldn’t make them yourself either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Michael D. is after announcing a public holiday for 12th July.

• Advertisement

Very funny I'm sure...

But seriously, we should have one on the first Monday in July, space it equally between the June and August public holidays.

Need one at the start of Feb, too. Just don't call it after a mythological religious figure, tyvm.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This idea of constantly rewarding someone for something is becoming ridiculous mainly when we clearly can not afford it.

No matter how you structure it or what "terms and conditions" you attach to it it will always divide people. People will always be questioning who deserve more and such and if you think politicians are on it out of sheer kindness of their hearts and not with not so hidden agenda of appeasing potential voters you are naïve.

So after nearly 2 years of listening of multitude of various bonuses for "frontline" or "essential" staff (happened undeniably mostly in public service jobs and some big private multinational companies) here we go again with more bonuses for them and perhaps someone else who may feel excluded before.

And then there will be more proposals of some bonus for some previously excluded of "shorted" group.

It reminds me of Titanic scene where everyone somehow knew ship will go down while music was still on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Only those who worked the wards where Covid patients were needing care should get any reward. The rest of them should be told no. Simple as.

As for the Bank Holiday question, first Monday in July - only chance of a decent weather day out of all the others.

Doesn't seem to be much chatter about another BH ahead of the budget so perhaps it's been scrapped..... unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Teaching unions won't allow that date as they are off anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

more talk today of first monday in february

• Advertisement

I'd say that's what it will be alright if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Sher didn't Dr. Tony magnanimously accept the Freedom of the City of Dublin on behalf of all the front-line workers already, what more do those selfish b*stards want :-)

I wonder is someone in gov getting paid to promote "Thanksgiving" in order to pave the way for final push for "Happy Holidays" instead of Christmas. You know it's all for the best.

Even in America, the "War on Christmas" is a total bullshít myth 🙄

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement