Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is your cat affecting your life?

Options

Comments

My cat is not pleased with the amount of time my eyes are on my mobile phone, so he has decided to keep trying to knock it out of my hand! Sounds endearing, but it’s getting a bit irritating at times, bless him 😼

I have been laughing this evening. Had a 90 minute zoom meeting, attended by my cat also. Just as I was to speak he reared his @rse at my camera and that image was zoomed right into the meeting with slightly comical results!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Praise the lord

Life ain't always empty.

This way it, only right close up in feline version, obliterating my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Advice is spot on.Do it every time it appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Usually,if you are full of praise the rat will be removed after a while for further treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Which one? Cat I mean. I currently have five here.. Three rescues. one local cat whose owner sadly died, and one who sought refuge as he was not being fed... Honoured to rescue ,and in cold weather they keep me warm. They are my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not a fan of cats myself other than their ability to kill vermin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Currently catsitting my friends maine coon and ragdoll. They are absolutely hilarious. I don't know how people don't like cats they are so entertaining.

Maine coons are class.

My brother and his wife have two Russian Blues. Awful yokes. Sneaky and unfriendly.

• Advertisement

Fed my mother's cat the other day. She was rubbing against everything, rolling, turning upside down... and the purring! She's so beautiful. Your hand just melts into her fur, which is so thick and luxurious and shiny. And she's no fancy breed - just a brown tabby. She wanted endless rubs, and demanded more when they stopped. Although when she showed me her tummy, which I made the mistake of rubbing, I received a gentle warning bite. She's so sweet but not to be f'd with!

At this very moment my biggest cat ( I am abed) is tucked behind my very sore knees, snoring.. His body warmth is perfect to heal the pain. Therapy cat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Much like some of the posters here I'm much fonder of dogs and never really thought much of cats. Until my wife rescued a gorgeous jet black long haired kitten. The playfulness, closeness and affection displayed by that cat completely changed my mind. She became an integral part of our family, even making the move to another country with us. We recently lost our furry little friend in tragic circumstances and we're honestly heartbroken.

(((HUGS)))) I just lost my 17 year old cat and feel your pain. Missing him so much.

I keep wondering where my cats are. The kitchen is warmer than my bedroom so they have chosen that... Abandoned.. lol

My cat is under the covers with me now while I drink my coffee. (8.25am). He's been a bit annoying these days as he's mad for the ride but overall, a very positive impact on my life. I do everything to take care of him but he prefers my girlfriend.

I lost my 18 year old cat 4 years ago, and my 14 year old dog a year ago, and I was truly reluctant to take on another pet.

I truly couldn't face getting another dog so soon but these two now 5 months old little hellions, that I have adopted in October have brought some fun back the house (as well as some chaos).

However, definitely no christmas tree being put up this year, though!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Herself had been going on about putting the Christmas tree up for days, so I finally put it on Wednesday evening to keep her happy. One of the cats has ran and launched herself at twice already, thankfully its still standing. I know some morning I'll get up and it will be down on the ground

• Advertisement

I know how you felt. The hardest thing about sharing your life with critters is that we know their life span is shorter than ours. That last loss broke my heart. Can barely bear to even mention it.

When that one;s sister died a few years ago my family ordered me to go out and get three more cats. They are abundant in Ireland. One of those was sheerly feral and has reverted but this is a small island. The other two are a delight. One is part-Oriental. But this lad was unique. Special. YOU know! Missing him so much. I am homebound and much abed and he was always with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

2 vaccinations 5 weeks apart, €70 each and €110 for castration around the 6 month mark, €250 all in. Along with litter boxes, litter, toys and food, bites scratches destroyed furniture and the house bowing down before him, be sure this is the reality of them.

Worth it though, love the little tyrant 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I find it hilarious how cat owners become so delusional about how their cats love them,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2014/10/16/6982177/the-case-against-owning-cats

Cat lovers will probably respond here that their pets do show affection, purring and rubbing up against their legs. But there's good reason to believe that, most of the time, these sorts of behaviors that look like affection are conducted with entirely different goals in mind, many cats, for instance, will rub up against the leg of their owner when the person enters a room. It's easy to construe this as a sign of affection. But many researchers interpret this as an attempt, by the cat, to spread his or her scent — as a way to mark territory.

I'm sure there are still some delusional people on here who will believe their cat loves them no matter what but to the people thinking about getting an animal that doesn't love you, manipulates your emotions to get food, and helps to eradicate endangered species, then be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One of the cats spends the night sleeping on a chair.

The other, a complete scaredy cat who would give the impression that everyone (including me) is going to beat her, is there waiting for me to go to bed, winding round my feet and telling me to get a move on. She will come up to me and butt me towards the bed then kneading with her paws once I am in bed, purring and demanding to be petted. Eventually I tell her that's enough and she wanders down to the end of the bed and sleeps there. Now you can interpret this any way you want, but she is not looking for food, maybe she is looking for a warm spot to sleep, but the purring and demanding to be petted and efforts to communicate are not necessary to that, she could just jump up and sleep there.

I have no doubt at all that a good deal of behaviour is self-interest, but don't we all? There is more to it that you are suggesting, and if there isn't, so what? They are entertaining and company.

Maybe when you have lived with a cat as long as most of us here have you will have the grace to retract your post! We speak from long and real experience... For me. fifty years of cat companionship, of loving and being loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

I love our cats. But they reinforce my belief that there is no God or if one does exist they had no part in the creation of the cat. With full bellies I have witnessed both of them inflict way over the top pointless suffering on those creatures unfortunate enough to become their victims. Birds (large and small, mice, rats, shrews, squirrels, pine marten and me, they've attacked us all. They really seem to enjoy being čůňţz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

But unless you are a dedicated vegan? My cats are very kind to everything they meet. And to me... Maybe it is the owners who teach the cats! God gave them so much love for us to comfort and snuggle with us . Mine adore me. As I do them. Attack? Never in fifty years have I been attacked by a cat.

My lot have deserted me in favour of the glow from the solid fuel stove in the kitchen. .... Later as I am abed for the night already the y will creep in with me. Heat seeking missiles..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Baybay

Not to derail but, Graces 7 I’m delighted to read about your kitty companions again. With all the changes on Boards, a lot of the threads I used to follow are harder to find & with notifications scarce, I’d missed your updates.

Advertisement