Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is your cat affecting your life?

Options
  • 22-09-2021 9:22pm

Let me start by saying I adore my cat, who has found fame on Boards, having been identified on the “Liveline” thread as a “Pet of de Pandemic”. He survived a huge bone cancer over one and a half years back, by getting an amputation and has been going from strength to strength since. He has been by my side through the pandemic and truly deserves his Liveline accolade.

Now he is duly demanding my every moment of attention whenever I am near. I cannot look at my phone or any screen without his tapping on my arm in a most insistent and irritating way. I am delighted here here to indulge him. He accepts my looking at the TV, but mostly I look at my phone or other devices whilst half watching TV.

Is anybody else inhibited or distracted by their feline when trying to access a screen other than TV, which is something a cat can also watch?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Wouldn’t have it any other way

Fortunately mine is sociable, he needs to be as I’m sociable 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My two are insanely sociable, they'll literally scream at me for attention.

Also wouldn't have it any other way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bop1977

Cats are dicks. Dogs ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,149 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have one who talks incessantly...I'm coming, I'm going, I need food, I want to go out, I want to sit in your chair, I want you to notice me, I want whatever you are eating, and so on endlessly. The other scuttles around with big scared eyes going 'don't beat me, don't abuse me, don't even look at me because I am terrified of you'...then sleeps on my bed all night. In fact if she figures its getting late she will come and nudge me and tell me its bedtime.

• Advertisement

Last week, on Liveline, Joe Duffy asked “are cats affectionate?” He hadn’t a clue of feline psychology. They are both semi-self-reliant and dependent at the same time. My own little black panther has been one totally emotionally dependent on me. It’s serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

My cat is seriously taking the piss out of the whole work from home situation. She demands that we get up to open the front door for her every few minutes. Goes mad scratching the door if we don't immediately let her back inside when she feels like it, so it's hard to even ignore her. She will accept being let in the big window but wont jump in the small window even though she's well able, so I cant just leave a window open for her. When she goes outside in the garden she just sits there staring in at me as I work from home with a sinister look on her face. It's a fúcked up situation.

She has ye twisted around her little sharp claw!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,887 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i don’t have a cat, but next door neighbors got one about 18 months ago and it uses our car as a playpen / sun lounger / climbing frame and hangs out in the garden all the time, we’ve found cat crap regularly enough... so I might as well have one, it must have sharp claws as you can hear a faint tap tap tap on the metal along with meowing... also last week and today there were mucky paw marks on the windscreen...I only had a cursory look but there doesn’t appear to be scratches or dings anywhere yet... it’s not my cat but becoming a problem, car only months old... approximately 40 grands worth of car,,, can deal with sweeping up the odd bit of crap but fûck loosing money... stupid dumb hippy cûnts at the beginning were nice enough but jeeez this and other things..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Baybay

My house panther likes his breakfast served between 5 & 6 am while I like to sleep between 5 & 6 am so, breakfast is served between 5 & 6 am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Thought I'd put it here as I can't find a dedicated pet thread.

I'm going to get a kitten , whether from a pet shop or neighbours I don't know.

What vaccinations/ birth control should I be getting. I had loads of cats before but they were semi feral , only coming when called for meals.

Your local vet may know of kittens that need homes. They will also advise on vaccinations. Neutering or spaying can also be discussed with them when the kitten is a little older.

Ours came from a local rescue centre who charged an adoption fee, at the time anyway. The fee included vaccinations, neutering & microchipping plus a little extra to help support the facility. It was excellent value which actually encouraged us to round it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

I'm the same. One of my neighbors got one of the creatures during lock down. Now it comes into my garden at night and sh1ts in my vegetable beds. I don't particularly want my children eating carrots etc that have been covered in cat sh1t. But my neighbor doesn't care and says he can't control the animal. I tried blocking off gaps in the fence etc and spreading pepper, cat deterrent, spikes etc. Nothing works. Looking into getting one of those pest control companies who will catch ferral cats but there seem to be a lot of charlatans out there offering the service as some sort of a con. So a bit stuck at the moment. If I get my hands on the creature it is going for a long drive in my boot and will be released in a wood three or four counties away.

I would appeal to people considering getting a cat not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

I was reading yesterday that the ISPCA are desperately looking for hones for kittens and cats, they'll be vaccinated and spayed/neutered and in good health. Worth looking into before you buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They cost me money - constantly e.g. cattery, vets, zooplus, insurance. I never wanted them and foresaw how it would play out but "they're part of the family". They can be funny at times when they're acting the idiot but in general they're just an inconvenience. I love playing with other people's pets and was happy to never have my own. The last 6 years have solidified that idea and there won't be any more after these are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

I love my house panther but Jade Martha is a diva. She sits on the rug in living every morning and every evening demanding her treats. If she sees us, she will refuse to use the small window and meows at the door until we open it. Jade is spoiled rotten and I wouldn't have it any other way. She loves to jump up onto your lap and get strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Use a spray bottle of water and squirt the cat. Do it a few times and they won't come back.

Actually what do I need living wise for a indoor cat? , littertray, basket, cat food?. All my cats, when I was younger, lived in sheds outside and came in ( hung about) for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Too late, several furry freeloaders have turned up already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Cats are not great - too stringy and not enough meat on them for a good feed. Get chickens instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

It comes in the middle of the night. I just can't stay up all night. I have seen it a few times but by the time I get out my back door the creature runs away. I'm looking at options to safely trap it and then release it miles away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of ours is the same as your second one. she's exceptionally shy and skittish (rescued from a feral litter at about 8-10 weeks old) and won't allow you to get near her during the day, but sleeps on the bed and is known to headbutt you awake several times during the night for a belly rub.

New news. One of his nocturnal visitors, who wouldn’t dare come into the garden when The House Panther is aware / awake, peed on the front door mat last night. The waft of Eau du Chat as we opened & closed the door this morning has added a certain something to our day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wish to God I had a cat. And a place of my own for it. And no allergies to the little monsters. I swear, it's like something the Greek Gods would do.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

That's cruel if your neighbour owns the cat. What about using a garden sprinkler? Cats hate water and it will learn to stay away from your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,149 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And a complete waste of time, it will come back no matter how far you take it. (Don't do it anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

My cats favourite hobbie is to disrupt nap time for my baby. If she hears the lullabies she'll find her way to the window to be let in, no matter how long ago she's asked to go out. Or today instead she wanted to go outside via the window and got herself tangled in the blinds and decided they blinds were fun to play in. Her little bell jingling while my hands are full nursing 😩

She also likes morning cuddles, a tradition that predates the baby so will wake up everyone demanding it when she hears the baby stirring in the morning.

She's taken to sneaking into neighbours houses too now, don't know what to do with her, they all say they like her, but I know she's a menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

She also gifted us a dead rat yesterday and was really mad when we didn't keep it, spent the day in a huff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Post pics OP !

If there is one thing the interwebs needs more of, it's pictures of cats!! :D

Advertisement