Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people back into car park spaces.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok. Let's say you are that slow at parking.

You consider 10 seconds a "convoluted process"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Id say it takes less time to reverse into a parking spot than it takes to reverse out, due to all the extra checks needed when reversing out. BUt it takes about the same time to drive out as it does to drive in.

So overall its quicker to reverse in than drive straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Tork

I have just come back from the supermarket. It has a middling sized, busy car park out front, so there are always cars coming and going. I watched somebody park nose first in a space. They held up the traffic for a good 15-20 seconds while they manoeuvred it into the spot. Given where the parking spot was in relation to the car park entrance, they would have found it quicker and easier to reverse in.

Coming out of the shop I saw another car reverse out of its space. Again, it took them quite a few seconds to manoeuvre the car out of the space, straighten up and drive away. By the time they did all this, there were 2 cars waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Its far more likely that you bump your neighbor reversing in a confined space than a cyclist cycle into you as you slowly back out into a wide open space.

Your approach is one of of avoiding maximum loss mixed with incredibly tiny odds of that event ever happening. (and requiring the third party to act a certain way).

Mine is one of avoiding a minor damage which has way higher odds.

A cyclist will never cycle into me as I slowly back out. Never happening. Balls on the block, better odds of a shark attack.

You however will at some stage tap a neighboring car while reversing in. Its only a matter of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How would you bump your neighbour? You have mirrors 🤣

The bigger risk is bumping a car behind you if you cannot estimate the size if your own car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

People often park atrociously, leaving very little space to manoeuvre into if you and passengers are going to be able to get out of the car too. Reversing into a marginally space adds a visual challenge, although now that reversing cameras are becoming more commonplace this is becoming much easier.

If I can, I don't park in spaces that are that tight. I don't want my car to be dinged by neighbouring car doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

Sometimes trying to park in the capital, especially in hospital car parks etc, means negotiating some extremely tight spaces.

Yeah always the way with driving. I don't mean everyone arguing as to the merits of reversing into a space. I tend to agree with them mostly, but just those who won't recognise the logic to the alternative whatsoever - and feel totally fine with throwing out insults like remedial, and stating they're better drivers and those who don't always reverse into spaces shouldn't be on the road, etc. Also it does not take five seconds to reverse into a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

@op Boards has the answer to your question…..

• Advertisement

Outnumbered by the hundreds of thousands of non-bed wetters who just park normally. The majority. People who skip the song and dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Just because you're afraid of reversing between two cars doesn't mean you need to project your anger and insecurities onto everyone else.

Sounding like a anti-vax Trump supporter at this stage - "the experts are wrong - I've done my research and I know better than them" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Assuming (s)he's done any research is a fairly big leap, tbh.....

Im sure theyre perfectly correct about safety.

Its just a shame that they have nothing to say on convenience.

I mean you chew every bite of food the recommended 25 times right?

Post edited by 85603 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭DBK1

The most confusing part of your argument is that it’s far more convenient to reverse in and drive out than vice versa. You really are fighting a loosing battle.

I cant lose, Im the majority, by far. Step outside your panic room and look around.

I roll in, no bullsht. I roll out, no bullsht.

You wouldn't have enjoyed standing in the car park of my local supermarket earlier. Two separate cars had to do quite a bit of manoeuvring in order to drive into/reverse out of spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Well done on proving you didn't read the links provided too. Serious stench of MAGA 🤣

If you're in any way capable of driving properly you'd be able to reversing into a spot using a 2 point turn, and then drive out in one movement. No inconvience at all - provided of course you aren't one of the morons who's afraid or incapable of reversing into a space properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

It's statistically proven to be safer to reverse in/drive out, it's mandatory in a lot of factories, it's smarter and takes less time overall, swing, stop reverse, done.

It's safer when leaving a parking space to be looking forward and being able to quickly check for pedestrians, cyclists etc.. reversing out requires a more cautious approach.

Also if you can't reverse park hand in your licence, if you are afraid of bumping the car behind you, get a smaller car or you could yaknow use your mirrors and know the size of your car

• Advertisement

Why do I back into parking spaces?

Habit.

When learning my instructor taught me to reverse in and the habit stuck.

Will only drive in if say it is designed for it or if I want the boot accessible or say there is a car ahead of me maybe.

I like being able to have a look in the space before parking and being to pull straight out looking around.

What I have to read all links now? Ja meine kommandant.

Anyway, just thought of another reason why I, and the majority of the public, are right. Ever driven into a parking space and you end up right behind another car ?

And then you go get your maga gear in the trump shop and come back and praise be to jeezus that car is now gone and you can roll right on through.

Well, you can't do that if you've backed in like sleepy joe and his fraudulent vaccine co-conspirators.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

They do it to annoy people following behind them. They love taking their sweet time while someone with real business to to fumes and lose years off their lives. theyu mostly drive small hatchbacks and they slow down coming to a green light hoping it will change and catch the driver behind them. They turn extremely slowly around corners as well and always manage to stop in a junction so that cars trying to exit out are blocked.

I really think some people here need to resit their driving test if they can't back out of a space.

Its common sense drive in and then back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Any time you gain by driving in is lost when you are backing out probably more as you don't have a clear view if there are cars on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Sometime I'll drive in if I know it might be easier to used the wide angle reversing camera rather than poke the nose of the car out through a gate, of if I have shopping, and it also keeps the length of the charging cable short as the port is at the front of the car.

The best way to drive into a space is below. You see so many people trying in vain to follow the red arrow, and then getting stuck as their car is too close to others (red circles).

When driving in, don't even try to make the space at first. Do all your turing outside of the space and drive straight in. So so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Not the case if your car has a reversing camera.

I'll intentionally drive into a space which I know has limited visibility left/right sometimes, as the camera is right at the back of the car whereas I would need to put the bonnet of the car into traffic to see left/right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Easier to make a quick get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

sometimes, the majority can be wrong.

saw a fella today in an outdoor car park, swing in, gets it wrong, reverse out, straighten up, drive in, too close to car on drivers side, reverse out, drive in

bad drivers be bad drivers whether they go in forwards or backwards

• Advertisement

Thanks @kirving This thread definitely needed diagrams to show what we are up against 🤣🤣

Advertisement