Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people back into car park spaces.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

If theres a shopping trolley in the space then in either case you've got the same choices - move it or pass up the spot.

If theres some irregular/strange object you won't be able to tell what it is properly in a rear view - might just be an empty plastic bag you can just drive over, but in the rear view its too uncertain.

As you prepare the convoluted process of getting in position to begin your reverse turn other motorists will often tire of your rigmarole and pass in the space alongside you. Thats not control. Not a problem when you roll straight in. Then there are pedestrians, between the car spaces, returning to cars, opening the doors, kids hopping out. They weren't in your rearview 2 seconds ago, but they are now unbeknown to you. Not a problem when you're looking right at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭DBK1

Has to be a wind up.

I refuse to believe there are people out there stupid enough to think that reversing out of a space is safer and easier than reversing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

I live in NZ and it is not the law, I dont know where you heard that. Next to nobody here reverses into a park

Part 2 is correct, it is illegal to park against the flow of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can understand it outside a jewellers, I can't understand it at a supermarket where they have to return to their car with a trolley to load goods in to the boot by smashing their trolley against every surrounding car in the process.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Happily, these places are quite rare around my parts of tthe US. It's been a couple of years since I've seen the last one. It's also to be noted that although the US does have the occasional sensible and civilised traffic law like turning on red, this is also a country which puts stop signs instead of yields on a lot of the roundabouts. (I think in one state, priority goes to the traffic coming onto the roundabout, which makes no sense to me at all).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think the question has been well and truly answered, only the remedial pupils failing to grasp the concept (or feigning stupidity).

Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

To be fair, the vast majority of the time when I park, it's either shopping and I need to put things into the boot, or working and I need to take things out of the boot. It just makes more sense to drive in in those cases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The convoluted process? 🤣

How long does parking take you? At worst you might 'hold up' someone for 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭snowcat

I believe the police are trained to do it when parking as they can get out of a space quicker and safer if they are called urgently.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,252 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The sign of a grade A fcuking idiot is the person who reverses into a 45 degree parking space in one directional traffic flow.

Not only do they have to manoeuvre 135 degrees to park, but the have to do the same to pull out.

Their stupidity is legion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Some Dorks treat driving in car parks especially on the way out.like road driving.

Flying along at 50 kph.

Safer to drive out with those tools about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

That's absolutely the way to parallel park.

Parallel park: reverse in.

Chevron park: drive in

Perpendicular park: reverse by preference, but driving in is ok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Genuinely interested (assuming you are not taking the piss) but how long does it take you?

I drive into a space 95% of the time. I very seldom reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

How often are you going to be in a situation where the only available space is an extremely tight spot between two cars that would necessitate the perceptible difference of having the steerable front wheels following the back wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭alias no.9

So you've never been in a busy carpark, that would explain a lot about your understanding of the reasons why reversing out of a space is riskier than reversing in.

They think driving into a space is easier than reversing into one - I doubt they think it's safer and easier to reverse out of one.

You cannot reverse in within 5 seconds.

Minimum 10 seconds, and thats impressive if youve ever done it, which you havent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Because the car park space cannot back into the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭DBK1

If you look back through the comments that's what some of them are saying. So therefore it has to be a wind up, there can't be people that stupid among us, I refuse to believe it!

When I saw the thread I was thinking wtf too but there are variables - can depend on the situation.

There are quite a few people doing the superiority thing and pretending reversing into a space is the only acceptable option, and also pretending that it's always easy and quick and non obstructive (queue of people behind you in a multi story car park when you have to nose forward for enough berth to reverse into a space would disagree, even though they just have to suck it up - but that delay is no different to the delay caused by reversing out of a space).

For bags of shopping and buggies it's more practical to drive in also - it means ease of loading up the boot later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

There is a superiority thing there alright. A similar thread popped up not so long ago where someone described reversing in as bit of an "alpha move". Most people I see in shopping centres drive in front ways. It just makes more sense when you need to load the boot.

I think often reversing in is just an extension of our everyday collective neurosis in which we have learned through 1000 daily tasks that the inconvenient way is always the right way. And that anything convenient must necessarily be reckless. People now fear the easy, and counter it with an approach of mild OCD in everything. Dont think just do everything the awkward way, that way youre safe.

So yeah, reversing in for some people is just another version of washing your hands an even number of times or locking the door twice before leaving. This is the awkward way so I must be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's an outstandingly convoluted way of justifying your (ridiculous) position.

You reverse in because it's safer to drive out. It's that simple.

99% of the time, whatever way you go into a 90° parking space, you'll exit it in the opposite manner, and driving out of a parking space is multiples safer than reversing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Reversing ALL DAY!

It's far safer to reverse into a space (only another car or wall to be watching) than it is to reverse out onto a road/busy car park lane/etc...

And IMO it's far easier too! The steering is at the front, so surely 'backing in' is physically a simpler operation. You could literally be at a 90 degree angle to a car/space - and get her in, with a full lock.

I drive a VW transporter van now... and even with no rear glass, and no reversing camera - I still back in to spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

reversing in is required by some companies; i worked for a turbine company that serviced the oil and gas industry and reversing in was the rule no matter in which country we worked. same applies here. The airline I work for insists on reverse in, unless parallel parking is available. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, statistically, a high number of collisions result from reversing out of parking spaces. Hence advanced driving instructors teach delegates to always reverse in/drive out.

Theres that insecurity again. Safer, safer, im safe, im safe.

How much safer are you really? This is two high viz condoms at once territory. No real margin, just back out slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's not about me being safe (well, it is as well), it's about the pedestrian/cyclist/child/buggy/car that is moving along the road that you're reversing out on to, effectively blind, until you get two thirds or more of your car out onto said road.

Can you really not comprehend that?

I despair sometimes, I really do.

ETA I need to keep reminding myself that this really has to be a wind-up!

Advertisement