Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Yeah I love the practicality of it. The rear is great the way everything folds. You're right about the suspension though, not comfortable at all. Also, my 1.4 is sooo slow, wish there was the 1.8 version close by when I bought but I needed a car quick as my 00 Focus 1.4 was about to die. That was a great car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Thanks for that! Getting €200 from a fairly local scrappie, they don’t care it has leather, factory nav and xenon’s, they’re just going to crush it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have a look on cartakeback.ie, you’ll surely get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You'd get more on Facebook market place with no work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

OH wants it gone and the scrappie is ten minutes drive away! Less hassle!

• Advertisement

Yeah that's fair, seems a waste but it's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I see the crew from Top Gear were at an event in Florida at Cleetus Mcfarland's oval track. For those who don't know him he is a YouTuber who does car stuff. I watch him which is how I know about it. He bought a disused oval race track about 2 years ago and refurbed the place and even built a massive burnout pad in the middle of the track.

Anyone here watch him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ive a flat floor in the avensis as well dont know how toyota did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

It’s really crazy at the moment you look up new, 1, 2, 3 year old popular cars and there is just so little in dealers across the country. Even when you put the price to one side the stock is so limited.

Hardly a surprise, no one bought cars for the last two years and now there are no new cars to buy because of parts shortages.

Long live the €2000 shít box market!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Well you have Brexit coming into it also there was a lot of cars being brought in from the Uk. I am not sure if it’s still as bad but it was 6-12 months order time on new cars at one point.

Yeah, you're still looking at about the same wait time.

Its an issue across the board, I have the same conversation a few times a week with customer about lead times and I'm not even in procurement.

There are cars available though, our sister company which is purely private leasing has deals with manufactures and so has a large stock of brand new vehicle ready to be delivered as soon as paper work is finalized with the customer. If owning isn't a requirement and you're not fussy on spec it is a decent option.

There is not much stock. Look over in the electric car forum and the wait times for some of those. I think I seen the id3 is not available until 2023. So that is you leave a deposit today you will not see a car until 2023.

I had a few quid(long gone at this stage) and enquired about a Fiesta ST or a i20N both were not available to buy and I just left it. Probably a good thing for me as both cars were above the limits of what I could afford. I would have had to get credit on my credit card and sell my current car which wouldn't have been too big of a deal as it was a brand new car when I enquired about both in November.

Well there is but when a big, international comp at can phone in an order for 10 new Golfs, they're are getting priority of the single, once off customer.

There is less stock but as said, there are ways into new cars of that's what's wanted.

i20N would have been a great choice btw!

i20N would have been a great choice btw!

I even rang a few places about that car and there was even a stock image on Donedeal with a main dealer advertising one for sale in Dublin. So I called them and was told there wasn't even one in the country yet. At the time in October or November when I was looking.

The exhaust with the pops would have been fun. The Fiesta ST's exhaust also popped but not as loud or as often as thei20 N's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Happening all over the world ref Honda cars - supposed to be a fix coming otherwise it’ll be August

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Last year, this year and possibly next years cars are gonna be weird specs with the semi conductor shortage.

Stuff specced initially that can't be done or got removed due to the shortage. Seen a few people on an ST site I'm on mention it for new cars that were ordered, along with the constantly changing delivery times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Really sorry if this is not the place for this. Not trying to troll. Just curious and thought this would be the best place to ask.

Didnt want to start a new thread.

Will anything ever be done or could anything be done to stop the noisy exhausts on cars? I dont care in the slightest what way people want to decorate their own property. Spoilers, tinted windows, novelty reg plates. None of my business.

But the excessively loud exhausts is noise pollution. Its impossible to ignore a roaring exhaust when you or your children are trying to sleep.

There should be a limit and AGS should be provided with the equipment required to measure the volume coming from cars.

Not an attack on car enthusiasts. Defending my own right to a peaceful nights sleep.

There is a limit and it is tested during the NCT. 🙂

Yes but that has no impact on anything. If it passes an NCT it can be noisy again the same evening. Should be checked by Gardai regularly like tyres etc

• Advertisement

They often are tested, I've had my old Mazda RX8 noise tested at a check point and it passed. That car was described by plenty of people as the loudest car they've ever heard but was acceptable under our current laws and regulations.

The issue is not the cars because all loud cars can be driven quietly. Nothing is going to be deafening if driven at quarter throttle because the throttle body is acting as a natural silencer. If there is a specific person who is driving like an ass in a housing estate, they are the problem.

You could always make them aware they are causing stress and they may be receptive. I would proceed kindly though as aggression will often exacerbate a problem.

A fella I worked with years ago got stopped for a loud exhaust and the guards told him to press the accelerator and he pressed it very lightly and they said it was fine. And he got away with it.

My last car had a loud exhaust but I didn't drive loud all the time. I would if there was a bunch of people at a bus stop or something, accelerator down and a blip of the clutch for added loudness as I passed.

I once made a guy jump for cover when my hot tips ignited some unburnt fuel. Was under a bridge and fairly shifting so it sounded like a shotgun. 😍

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've wondered on occasion whether gardai can send a smoky car for an NCT; several times in the past few days i've seen excessively smoky cars and vans, and was curious what powers the gardai could have to get the owners to address the problem.

and like someone asked above, it's not so much noisy cars which i notice, it's noisy motorbikes. i remember passing over the M1 a few months back and a motorbike went past which was multiple times as loud as all the other vehicles on the road combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've a front bumper side exit exhaust on one of my cars, it passes the nct every year so as far as I'm concerned it's perfectly legal. Driving normal it's not that loud but drive the car on and it's make a awful amount of noise. I've no problem with loud cars once they've a proper exhaust and its not a stupid straight piped diesel with "pops and bangs"

I have no idea who it is or even if it is the same person. Seems to happen on Saturday nights mostly. Its just really inconsiderate to be revving an engine loudly at night time.

As I say could care less about all the other stuff people do with their cars. Noise pollution impacts on everyone within the vicinity of the car/noise.

I have the same complaint about any form of excessive noise at night. Barking dogs, fireworks, house parties yadda yadda yadda.

People should have a right to be able have a peaceful nights sleep in their homes. Especially children and elederly people.

We always hear about how the government want to encourage more and more people to live in towns and cities. That type of behaviour is one of the reasons people want to live in one off houses in the sticks. Peace and quiet

I think you've found your solution there.

If you don't want to live near main roads, dogs and humans, you should move to an isolated rural house.

Cows are loud too though and big are incredibly aggressive maters do beware of that while searching for your new, quiet life.

• Advertisement

Tae the piss all you want. No skin off my nose.

I wasn't just selishly thinking of myself. Majority of the population live in urban areas. And I am quite happy where I live.

Public nuisances like this should be legislated for and cars should be seized until the owner has arranged for repair of the vehicles exhaust.

Anyway. Just want to see what kind of reaction people here have to this issue. Thanks

Advertisement