Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

Muppets drive noisy cars end of

inconsiderate at the minimum

idiots who wake ppl up, make pets nervous and are basically selfish muppets

what kind of a moron intentionally annoys ppl in dense populated estates

especially hard for ppl with young children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

You on about these guys ^^^^^

Cause i call people with car interests an enthusiast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s like saying “He’s not just a football hooligan, he’s a football enthusiast too”

Ive had cars with decats, performance exhausts, induction kits etc, which will make a car louder.

I’d take that into account though and not go the whole way through the rev range in built up areas, that’s just common decency.

So you can be a car enthusiast and act decently, or you can be a car enthusiast and be a bell-end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What in the feck is going on here? It would appear as though a good chunk of the posters in this forum don't even like cars.

Lots of people coming out in favour of mandatory speed limiters, banning SUV's, looking forward to the demise of combustion engine, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

On the flip side to that you've peoples dogs barking all night waking people up,people's cats climbing all over cars possibly scratching them,people's kids crying and screaming in restaurants and cafes etc all that people to put up with that. When it's comes to a loud car its all down to how you drive it. Plenty of people drive the shite out of normal cars but because they don't have a loud exhaust you don't hear it

Colm, be honest the people who daily post in here would be enthusiasts "or else off their rocker lol"

Well yeah, I’m an enthusiast, I like the design and engineering aspects of cars, new tech, retro/classic stuff - and like reading up on things I don’t understand, at the same time I like to keep a car clean and well maintained.

that apparently lumps me in with Salthill lads in Boras with reek maps, illegal numberplates, sun strip and pink front fog lights though, under the ‘car enthusiast’ umbrella.

Ok, i see your point completely. But id say to you - a lot of those lads would spend hours in sheds or there drive ways fitting light bars, lowering their cars to the ground, fitting loud exhausts. So although everyones taste is different - its good imo to see people doing up their cars no matter what the style. Maybe im stuck in the 00's ha ha

Car enthusiasts are just glorified boy racers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd agree with you there. I'm glad to see young lads still interested in cars but I do wish they'd cop on where cop on it needed and to be honest, drive better cars.

"Your car crew looks like regular traffic" springs to mind.

And RE: Muppet poster, do one. Also send me your address so I can sit on the limiter at 3am.

I've a problem with the young lads in 170bhp diesels thinking they are fast. Had the Glanza out Monday, just driving along at 70kph and a young lad in an A4 stuck to my bumper for ages. I dropped to third and took off poor fella tried to catch me but all he was doing was making black smoke and going nowhere

"Car enthusiasts are just glorified boy racers"

Ha ha your previous comment aged well after filling us in with your GALANZA outing

Remember the old done deal adds. "no swaps for glanzas"... How times change all the lads reaching mid 30's wouldn't mind one now

Only having a laugh

Decent price75

OTW

I've had mine since I was 17 so have it 11 years now. I absolutely love the thing, it's on engine number 3 since I've owned it and its had years of being abused but now it's getting a restoration now. The 4efte engine will take 230bhp without doing internals in a car weighing 920kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thanks for that detailed reply. The location should not matter. Its just a lack of consideration for your neighbours poor or posh.

As I say I am not anti car enthusiast. Do what you want with your own money and property but it shouldn't impact negatively on other people. And that noise is invasive.

One other trend I dont understand is the yellow registrations on the back of Irish registered vehicles. And sometimes no front registration. Surely you are only asking for AGS to pull you over with that kind of thing?

Their car, their business. Just seems an unwise choice. Is there a particular reason that its becoming more popular?

The yellow plates stems from Donegal, a lot of the guys that are into cars up that end started using yellow plates because generally, they have more common heritage with Derry than Dublin. Cultural fashion.

The front plates is different. It has spread to the point of nonsense but if you look at a lot of sports cars, many will not have a space on the front bumper for a plate. They are designed for a part of the world that doesn't require front plates and as such, requires drilling holes in places that were never meant to have holes. The standard used to be putting the front plate on the dash board (days before passenger airbags) which would do most AGS fine, they are more strict now though.

It is law to have your plate visible on the front of the vehicle in an upright/vertical position. No getting around that, needs to be there.

Saying that, I've had cars without and my solution was to carry cable ties in the event of being told to stick it on and just cut them off once I was out of the car again. Looked terrible on my RX8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

If your near Dublin, Meath or Louth I'd suggest trying Sean McManus in Drogheda.

Now that you say that, I remember being in Florida and noticing very few cars had front registrations on the bumpers.

Would it not interfere with toll cameras? Or speed cameras? The registration on the dash in the front window could be distorted etc?

I would have thought the nationalists in Derry would be more likely to change their rear car reg to white to display their Irishness etc

Maybe the PSNI wouldnt tolerate that kind of thing in the same way as down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

• Advertisement

They've gotten to the same point as "white" DC2's.

They used to be everywhere, now if you see one you actually stop and think "Jaysus, that's rare enough these days"

Nice welcome change from Audi's with 2 coils left in the springs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I went to the Galway international Rally over the weekend. Saw the cars at service and went to a couple of stages the weather wasn’t the best but I really enjoyed it. Something very nice about watching rally cars tearing through country roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I went the Saturday myself. Decent field of cars. Not a single Subaru though which was a first for any rally I've ever attended.

A mighty shame that Kevin Eves and Chris Melly in the ae86 corolla crashed out. He was on a serious pace considering the very challenging conditions.

Road closures were very poorly signposted coming from the Ballinasloe side not sure if things were better coming from Loughrea.

Thankfully we managed to get some good viewing 3/4 of the way up a straight just after a slight left hander. Cars passing at the top of 6th and hard on the brakes 20yds after us for a shicane and tight right hairpin more than made up for the p1ssing rain.

Out of curiosity what thread depth would people change tyres at typically ? Would you change at 3.0mm or let them go lower ? Thinking in general I’d change them once they are down to 3.0mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Quick rant.

How to get over insurance random number generator? The same numbers but different ip/connection give vastly different results, from as low as 400 to over 1000.

My luck that can't get the 400 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Go incognito in chrome. That is if you actually did get €400 quote. When was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Was looking at AXA site today, was checking one car which I think I'll end up buying. First try I got 406€, was surprised as my last contract with them on younger car, 2013 vs 2008 was over 800€. Did put second car, same brand but few miles less on the clock and got 560€.

And from that point I'm getting completely different numbers.

Got home, on pc on first try it shoot up to 789€.

Really like Wtf....

3mm or as soon as I'm not happy with performance.

Once those steel tread wear indicators are showing.

• Advertisement

I fit new tyres, forget about them for 2 years until I bother checking them then give out I've to buy new tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Exactly my strategy. But new tyres, ignore for several years, not so much as checking pressures. Buy more tyres when i realise they are long fooked when washing the car one day.

Does no one else check tyre pressure once a week or am I a freak?

I check absolutely nothing on my car unless I get a light or message on the dash for something then depending what it is I might ignore it

That makes me shudder.

How often do you find a tyre that needs pumping, say you check 200 tyres a year on your car?

Yeah, i honestly cant ever remember checking my tyre pressure ever.

Obsessively maintaining things is over rated.

I wouldn't knowingly drive a POS, i service on thr button but not before it and if the car needs something it'll get it but i also use everything right up.

None of this oil changes every 5000kms or other OCD appeasing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

once a month, as should everyone - shocked to read some here ignore it

TPMS have been mandatory on all cars sold in Europe for almost a decade and were popular even before being mandatory. If the tyres are low, the car will let you know, in the case of most cars from the mid 00's onwards. No need to be manually checking them the whole time.

• Advertisement

Needs is probably a grey area but I get really anal about my tyre and alignment. I'll usually just have to ad a couple of PSI on each once a month but it also helps to know I don't have any slow punctures in between.

No TPMS on a 2007 Suzuki so I can see why it might seem excessive for those with the luxury.

To be fair, I can usually feel a drop before I check it. Constantly analysing cars while I drive them is just a hang up from being in the garage I guess.

I do check oil more regularly but I also drive my cars like I'm going for gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

I've become far less interested than I used to be in general maintenance, since I stopped basic servicing myself.

I need to bring it to the dealer to keep the history on the ECU now, so I tend to care less about all of it.

I'll do anything that needs doing without question, and I'll do things like brakes myself when the time comes as they're expensive in the dealer, but gone are the days of spending my Saturday afternoon doing the brake fluid, checking tyres and fluid for the sheer hell of it. If it's a problem - the computer will tell me long before it's urgent.

I do, but only because the front wheels have a bit of corrosion on them that acts like a slow-ish puncture so I need to top it up.

Should be able to get them refurbed next month so that'll sort that.

Whoever had it before me either got rid of the TPMS sensors on the valves or coded it out in Forscan, think I can enable it via the ABS though.

Yes I’d check at least monthly if not a bit more frequent. My car doesn’t have a dipstick but on ones that did I would have dipped them for oil at least monthly checked coolant level is constant etc I’d generally do it when cleaning the car.

I’d also have a look over and make sure there are no leaks etc along with visually checking brakes and tyres. I just think it’s good practice and doesn’t take long to do.

No need for me to check my tyres with a gauge. I know so much about cars - that a simple spin to the local shops in my avensis and i can tell if any my wheels tyre pressure has dropped by one psi

This is a joke

Post edited by passatman86 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just under half the States, to include Florida, have no requirement for a front license plate, so you can see them without, or sometimes just a fun 'symbol/flag/etc' where the front plate would go if the fitting were there. For example, this car has a Florida flag 'plate'

or guess where this driver's claiming to be from.

Tolls, parking garages, etc, photograph the rear plate, to make sure they tag out-of-state drivers. Even the 31 states where a front plate is required, it's not unusual to find cars without one mounted, at worst, it's a fix-it ticket. Around here, it's just a warning, I've been pulled over once in three years for it, and I think the state trooper on a back road in rural Texas was just bored. For two of the cars, I have a front plate mounted, they look OK. For the SL, however, I've not yet managed to find a good non-penetrating plate mount (eg one which screws into the towing socket) which doesn't mess up the parking sensors. That said, it happens that my California plate is the same letter/numbo combo as my Texas plate on my rarely-driven Audi, so I might swap out the front one for the California for the fun of it. A related 'thing' which is done is that someone who had their car registered in a foreign country such as Germany (eg they took German delivery, or were posted in the UK for a while with the Air Force etc) is that they'll keep the German front plate mounted on the car, and put the legally required US rear plate on the back. It can be taken to extremes, however.

This is generally frowned upon by enthusiasts as looking stupid.

However, the constabulary tend to be quite finicky about rear plates being clearly visible without filters, especially the sort of filter which a toll booth camera flash might 'glare out' on. Some states the rear plate also has the annual registration sticker which must be visible.

On the noisy car aspect, I think there's a difference between noisy cars which are just plain noisy, and those which are enhanced. It's entirely personal opinion, of course, but I recently rented out a Challenger SR/T with a big American V8 which was absolutely fantastic at turning petrol into a beautiful, sonorous roar when you pushed hard on the pedal and an ominous rumble when idling. It didn't go particularly fast, I was disappointed to discover, but the noise was wonderful and 'genuine'. As opposed to a Honda Civic with a loudener on the exhaust which just sounds like someone's screaming for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Matt Watson's new car, a M5 CS. I prefer the look of the M3 but the M5 CS has a nicer interior. Well if you spec'd the M3 comp up without a white interior it would be nicer looking.

Very interesting, thanks for the detailed reply.

That plate on plate just looks ridiculous.

I agree a high powered engine can sound very satisfying.

Its definitely the latter example you made of honda civic etc that bothers me.

I was more referring speed cameras and tool booths in Ireland for Irish motorists who have removed the front registration plate from the bumper and have it sitting on the dash. (which just looks to me like the lack the ability to fix the plates to the bumper themselves)

Like the toll booth cameras here definitely read your front registration. And I assume AGS with a speed camera have to photograph the car and reg? Could be totally off on that one. Not 100% how it works

I've always had a toll tag in my cars so wasn't relying on the reg. The only time I ever forgot to pay a toll was when i had bought a new car and hadn't changed my tag over yet, I got a letter with a fine and the picture was of the rear of my car. Had front and rear plates on that one.

I have to say the new Octavia RS is a really nice car when you see it in the flesh. But no matter how I try think about it 47k for a Skoda Octavia is very hard to stomach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement