Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ "Does my penis look big in this?" 🤔🤮

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Wow, just wow 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pity there’s no more interior pictures, that’s where the real magic was

I can only assume this person has been snapped up by BMW for recent design work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Have put 5k on it in nearly 3 months 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I have the A4 6 months this week 33k Km on it 😕 The price of fuel the last while is just brutal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's some mileage. You weren't lying about doing big numbers. Did you not think more about the advice of moving closer to work. I like driving but I wouldn't be fond of doing those kinds of numbers everyday.

I had considered that when I first started but since then things have changed in my personal life that mean it wouldn’t suit to move. It’s actually not a bad commute I essentially have 1 year done now and feel like I could do it for a few years.

obviously putting mileage like that on the car isn’t good for it’s value and the then the running costs are big but the pros outweigh the cons of doing it for the moment anyway.

how is your new car going you must find it very different ?

It's going well my second only car with cruise control. I had a BMW e39 with cruise control. This cars is more advanced than the 1998 BMW's one but still not as good as more premium cars re. adaptive CC. It's annoying pressing the button trying to stay with the car in front slowing down speeding up where as if I had ACC it would do all that automatically.

Isn’t it dual fuel do you ever put LPG into it or just always use petrol ?

• Advertisement

I have never put petrol in it. Always LPG. The bit that's still in it is the original less than half a tank the dealer put in when I got it. LPG was empty when I bought it so drove home on petrol and then I was passing a place in Roscommon where I filled up my first LPG tank.

Mind you LPG burns quicker than petrol as I drove to Dublin a few times and you would nearly go through a full LPG tank going up and driving around Dublin and lass than half way back. But saying that I once had a quarter of LPG leaving Dublin and made it all the way to Roscommon with just that amount but I wasn't doing the full 120km/h on motorway burns up to quick I find so don't bother. Strange when I was younger I would be driving as fast as the car could on motorways but slower in bad weather though but still faster than what I would do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭User1998

There is no set price. It's up to the place that's selling it. Mind you the last time I was in Roscommon I didn't fill it up as they put up the price as they seen petrol and diesel rose so they said they will rise the LPG too.

There is a place I go in Galway and it is 0.9 L and was cheaper in the past. There is cheaper places than that but Roscommon and Galway are the closest to me. Depends on where I'm going on which place I will fill. I do be in Galway more often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Over 2 millions views on this now! Great to see an Irish channel doing so well.

Cui bono?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 I reckon a lot of it is down to the fact that it's one vid, no nonsense with dragging things out and he could have and a very nice home restoration as a result.

They're crackers for them in the US and I'd say a fair number of views came from there. Watch the values go completely insane when they hit the 25 year US import mark. If trends continue I would not be at all surprised at them hitting forty grand plus in that market. So that lad has a bit of an investment on his hands and well deserved after he dug it out of a hedge and put the work in. I'm still shocked at how little rust it had.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Definitely the format plays a big part. People doing YT full time need to monetise as best they can to increase the viewer's time on the platform so put out as many videos as possible. I prefer our friend here's format TBH. Same with MyMechanics, a tool restoration channel, 1 top quality video every 3 or 4 months.

Can be very hard to get certain vehicles in Japan. Was looking for a 30 year old Hilux Surf last year and there were very few to be had, They are all being sold at the 25 year old mark to the US. They are even driving the RHD ones in the US.

Fair play to him alright, they would be a nice nest egg in a few year to export.

Cui bono?

I just seen a post on Facebook where someone bought a car and it's a rust bucket. I told them buyer beware and they should have checked it over or got a mechanic to do so if they were not able to do so. They also said they have someone from the NCT test centre and the AA coming to view it. I said that doesn't sound right. As I doubt they would do so even if you asked them to. Wouldn't that be the correct way of thinking I'd say even if you rocked up to the NCT test centre and asked them to put it on the lift they would refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hard enough to get a tester to look at a car in a test centre these days never mind somewhere else.

The whole thing sounds like a load of Facebook drivel tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lads, honestly what do you expect from facebook? I'm surprised anyone over the age of 18 still uses it.

• Advertisement

How else would I remember people’s birthdays? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Does motor tax online close for Christmas ?

Don't see a date thinking of paying on the 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭User1998

Probably just someone who works there doing it in their free time as a favour

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone watch the latest Grand Tour Special about French cars? I found it quite entertaining and brought back fond memories of the old Top Gear. I like these GT specials because they are fairly well spaced apart time wise making them more appealing rather than churning out a new episode every week that feels like the last one. I tried watching the new Top Gear and just couldn't take it add all. I think the new guys were just trying too hard to repeat the old formula without the same bromance chemistry.

I watched it last night and up until the rally cross where they raced the cars I thought it was dreadful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I wasn't pushed on the rally cross bit myself, but overall yeah, I thought it very much a low point of the Grand Tour outings, if not the lowest. Being made in the middle of the wooflu restrictions really didn't help. The same show done in France would have been, or at least could have been so much better. French cars, their history and quirks and society overall would fill a fair few car shows. That's a very deep subject, so it really felt like a damp squib on that score. As Jay Leno has remarked the car may have been born in Germany, but it grew up in France. Another problem was it came across to me that James May was barely in it at all. It felt like the Hammond and Clarkson show and more Hammond with it. I like the hamster, but it felt unbalanced.

They were kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. You can't repeat the formula and hope to compete, or it's incredibly hard to do so. They threw the kitchen sink at it in the Evans' period and it was too confused with too many cooks spoiling the broth. Individually the various presenters would be alright(though I couldn't abide Evans in it) and LeBlanc and Harris were good. The latest trio I can't warm to at all, other than Harris. I feel bad for him. He's talked about how when he joined TG the sheer volume of hate mail he got really affected him. Like needing counselling and all that level. I've a lot of time for Chris Harris and have for a long time and for me he's the best thing by a long way in TG these days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I enjoyed the GT lockdown tour of Scotland. Some great laughs and scenery. 

After Rory and Matt left New Top Gear I didn't bother with it.

Managed to find my own version through various YouTubers over the years. 

Car Throttle for the big races/challenges/bro road trips. 

Harry's Garage for posh European tours

Yet to find a channel doing crazy mods like the sailing cars, off road Rolls-Royce etc.

Cui bono?

Jeez I wouldn’t have thought it closed for Christmas..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thought maybe they were computer generated htfdik😁

Managed to get the order in tonite so I'm optimistic for Friday anyway

Advertisement