Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Incoming E10 fuel. Dreams dashed.

• 27-08-2021 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ flexcon

So like many of you I was hoping for when E10 arrived we would see the return of 98RON at the pumps via the back door of a mix of ethonol and fuel. Well this report puts cold water on that.

looks like 95.7RON with average of 96.2 RON.

currenlty on Bosnia & Herzegovina and they have 98 RON everywhere - even 100 at some stations.

when can this farce end for us.

http://www.eerl.com/Uploads/E10-Final-Report.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭ Miscreant

Most people don't care about the RON value of their fuel and the majority of cars here will happily run on 93 to 95 from the factory by default with no ill effects.

In my experience, the only drivers concerned with getting 98RON or higher are those with higher performance cars or cars that have been mapped to take advantage of the higher RON value fuels. I have friends who drive tuned JDM cars like 200sx, Integras and Supras who mention this quite often but outside of that cohort, there is never a peep about the RON value of petrol.

There are fuel additives that can be bought to increase the RON value of the fuel if this is really desired in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,300 ✭✭✭✭ SEPT 23 1989

Was the there not 102 Ron at some stations in the Uk a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭ wotzgoingon

You can get high octane fuel in UK and other countries. We had it for a while but the market was so small they just discontinued it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ flexcon

Well def not 93 anyway. 93 isn't sold in Ireland but I get your point. My car requires 98RON, it's turbo and can run safely put not under much load on 95RON.

So 93 would kill the engine.

Makes sense regarding the JDM type cars as they run 98,100 over there. I am surprised there isn't any talk about Ron in that circle of friends, seems odd considering the considerable upsides to 98 on those type of cars.Unless they are very young, (25under) they wouldn't have enjoyed the time we had 99RON with Maxol for a few glorious years.

Those fuel additives are trash, the only real substitute is getting someone in the north to buy some Aviation fuel and bring it down and mix it yourself lol.

Yeah I was up north last month and running 3 tanks of Shell power 98 the difference was very noticeable. No hesitation, and the engine just sounded like it was happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ Dhenalau

The E10 petrol seem to be a very bad deal for the consumer...

E10 is less efficient than the current E5 blend of fuel, with the problem exacerbated in smaller-engined cars.

“And those with E10 compatible cars will unfortunately find they are getting fewer miles to the gallon as the fuel is less efficient than E5 fuel, due to it containing 5% more ethanol.

Drivers of older, incompatible cars may have to shell out for more expensive fuel, since forecourts will likely only offer E5 as a premium option.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/what-is-e10-fuel-and-how-could-it-affect-you/

Yeah this is a yes and a no at the same time.

it comes down to the KJ in the fuel. If you have a high boost car that runs optimal on 98RON 100% fuel then you have your winner.

However in order of preference it still looks like this

98RON 100% fuel

98RON 5% Ethanol

98RON 10% Ethanol

95RON 100% fuel

95RON 5% ethanol

The main reason being is a engine is less efficient anyway at 95RON then the 98RON so any losses on fuel consumption by going to a 10% blend is offset by the gains on going to the happier place - 98RON. in theory you are loosing out at 95RON anyway so might as well have a happier engine and still have roughly the same loss.

Years ago when Maxol had their 99.2RON blend(although it averaged 97) the difference in some of the Toyota Glanza, and Nissan pulsars we had were insane. Not just overall peak HP, but fuel consumption. Sure these cars could have been mapped to 95RON but they lost 15% or so power. So even with MAXOL E5 ethanol blend, which has losses - the cars were still happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭ Leonard Hofstadter

When is E10 coming to Ireland? I didn't know there was a planned start date for it here?

They need to keep E5 as many older cars (especially classics) cannot run on E10 for a sustained period of time - ethanol wears out the fuel lines and other rubber bits quicker. But the vast majority of cars should be able to handle it, but as noted above, fuel consumption will be marginally worse (maybe 3-4% more) but since the CO2 content will be 4% lower, the carbon tax should be less, which should make it a little cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,902 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

UK Gov have a site to check compatibility with E10

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

Advertisement