Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Smash hit TV show Kin was missing from RTE's autumn lineup in a major blow to fans as concerns grow for the drama after the production firm filed for bankruptcy.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Might be life in it still..

RTÉ provide update on future of Kin amid fears show might never return

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/kin-rte-780905

However, RTÉ said they are "still working" on getting the show back on the air and are "hopeful" that season 3 will come to the broadcaster.

RTÉ revealed their autumn schedule on Monday, with fan favorite Kin notably missing from the line-up.

"RTÉ would very much like KIN to return and continues to work with our international partners to make it happen," a spokesperson told the Irish Daily Mirror.

"We hope to have a further update in relation to season 3 in the coming months."

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Just watched the finale last night having watched the rest of the season as it screened (life stuff got in the way). Have to say I forgot how good it was. It was as good an hour of TV as I've seen in a while. Not perfect, but bloody entertaining.

Kin star Yasmin Seky said she has kept her day job at the bank admitting she has no idea if the show will return.

The future of the RTE show was placed in doubt earlier this year after Bron Studios, the production company and financiers of the hit series, filed for bankruptcy. While reports previously suggested that season three is already in the bag, Yasmin confirmed no filming has taken place and she has no idea if or when it will.

The budding actor, who made her screen debut playing Nikita Murphy in the hit series, told the Irish Daily Mirror: “I have no idea where people got that idea [that it is already filmed], but no we didn’t. Initially, it had been greenlit, but I'm not sure if Peter [McKenna] has written anything yet, but we definitely didn’t film it back to back.”

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Kerry2021

Watched season 1 of Kin when it first came out and currently trying to watch season 2. It’s obviously not that bad but I feel it could have been an awful lot better. My main issues with it are:

the Bran character reminds me of Negan from “the walking dead”. He’s just a total caricature of a bad guy. He just comes across as a cheesy bad guy to me. Viking’s character then seems to be some sort of Pound Shop knock off version of Conor McGregor. It’s not the actors fault but Vikings character can sometimes be very cringe and not easy to watch.

then there’s the 2 middle aged women involved in the gang. I don’t find them to be believable characters either, birdie never really does anything of interest.

Aidan Gillen is one of my favourite Irish actors and his character is pretty bland too. Then the 2 main guys, played by Charlie Cox and the other guy with the pony tail just don’t hit the nail on the head either. Nothing wrong with any of their acting but I just think the casting of the show got it all wrong with the family.

I know the TV show is for American audiences so that explains a lot as regards the casting but the main family all seem like either students or professors at Trinity more so than being leaders of the biggest drugs gang in the country.

Normal People (for those of you that may have watched it) had a bit about Trinity students in it, imagine if they’d taken Aido, Elmo and all them fellas from Love/Hate and tried pass them off as trinity students. It’s the opposite of that that’s happened in Kin.

I guess I had very high expectations for Kin and personally I didn’t feel they were met. The main family seem more like a crowd that would be running a chain of fancy pubs that sell craft beers and restaurants that sell vegan burgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely a major boost in terms of further seasons being filmed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Seems like the BBC saved their arses because RTE is in no position to pump cash into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So are bbc funding a 3rd series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Let's hope BBC or someone funds it ... we need season 3 and 4 to happen as promised ... Hidden Assets 2 and The Gone are no compensation and are the usual police procedural stuff that are generally not done well on Irish TV ... I like Obituary though ... better than any current Sunday night shows ... back to Kin ... Kin esp season 2 is one of the best ... and we need to have more of it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What are you basing that on?

Nothing to suggest BBC funding new episodes, just airing already filmed seasons. Maybe the rights were going cheap or freed up after the financial issue with production company.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I thought Obituary was awful paddywhackery, clearly aimed at the US market with close to leprechaun Irish stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It was nothing of the sort.

It’s a completely different show in every single way so shouldn’t be compared to Kin at all IMO

But it certainly wasn’t paddywhackery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,701 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

bbc wont fund series 3 of kin they outsource most of their dramas as it is

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Post edited by Loughc on

Obituary was very different to Kin but had one thing in common ... it was good in my view ... it was different and not the usual run of the mill stuff ... I feel it was relegated to the Tuesday night slot but deserved the 'prime' Sunday evening slot ... why Sunday evening is prime don't ask me ... i'd go with Saturday or Friday but they are taken up with those chat shows traditionally ... much more than those dramas that do ... Kin and Love/Hate excused of course ...

I feel Irish shows when the baddie is the lead make more interesting viewing that when a good cop is the lead ... Hidden Assets was poor and The Gone is prob more of the same ... and remember Taken Down which was more of the same with an Amy Hubermann style cop? ... police procedural dramas on RTE are not exactly my thing and police orientated dramas are fair boring in Ireland ... same goes for said Amy and her Striking Out solicitor Tara character ... all in all it is better having a Nidge or a Bren anyday ...

Obituary is recommended ... look forward to the last episode tonight ... it is not paddy-whackery ... also Clean Sweep last year was decent ... one thing all of these ... Love/Hate Kin Obituary Clean Sweep ... have in common is ... the baddie)s) is (are) the lead character(s) .... that does not mean that characters like Nidge, the Kinsellas, Elvira, etc. are out and out evil ... they are flawed and have evil tendencies but also have good in them ... which all serves to make them more interesting than those wooden cops in Hidden Assets, Acceptable Risk, Taken Down and prob The Gone ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

FWIW I loved Obituary. I was just pointing out you can’t compare it to Kin (or any of the crime/police shows)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm not even sure it says that.

Nowhere does it actually state RTE or anyone have decided to produce a third season.

It seems to say, well, if they wanted to, they wouldn't be able to do so until Charlie Cox completes his other commitments.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They should just leave it, season 2 was a huge improvement on Season 1 and went out on a real high. Bren and Frank are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 60,311 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not just Charlie Cox,

Aidian Gillian, Maria Kennedy Doyle, Emmett Scanlan & Sam Keely are all working on other shows for American Networks and I'd be pretty sure those series will take priority over Kin even thought AMC is showing it in the States.

Obituary was good ... for those very reasons ... it was different ... you cannot compare it to Kin or to Love/Hate ... because it was different ... it is a show that does deserve a second series and a higher profile .... much better than Hidden Assets aka Acceptable Risk, The Gone, Striking Out or Taken Down ...

Kin series 2 improved on series 1 and ended with one of the great finales ... but then again series 3 of Love/Hate improved on series 2 ... one thing for sure is that the stuff they are showing now on Sundays is no substitute for either L/H or Kin ... having a Tom Vaughn Lawlor lookalike doing a cop on The Gone does not make it Love/Hate .... and Hidden Assets never scratched the surface of the Limerick gangland scene ... a drama true to the spirit of Kin or L/H concentrating on that would be great though ...

RTE are able to waste money on endless amounts of poor dramas like Acceptable Risk aka Hidden Assets, Rebellion, Taken Down, Striking Out, Trouble in Paradise, The Big Bow Wow, etc. over the years .... I am sure they could save a lot of money by not making these and making better dramas like Kin all the time ....

I thought season 3 of Kin was already made ... that was what was said ... who is telling the truth here?? ... whatever way this is a series and is a type of series people want to see ... but in the meantime we will prob get another Amy Huberman series to keep us (not) amused ...

strong rumours online that it was already filmed but if the company hit the wall financially then it is messy, one of the actresses said it has not been filmed and she is working away at her 9-5 in a bank, just a waiting game i guess

Irish star Emmett J Scanlan said he "can’t wait" for viewers to see his new Netflix thriller, in which he stars alongside Michelle Keegan.

The Kin star, best known for playing Jimmy Kinsella in the hit RTE show, announced his new role will see him star alongside the former Coronation Street star in a new Harlan Coben thriller for Netflix called Fool Me Once.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5611024/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Herxules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Bren saved it. Season one was like watching paint dry. Killing Bren off also killed off the series in my view.

Totally agree and if they make another one it will be lacking the much needed devil type character

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are not giving the writers any credit.

I'm sure they can develop a few more series. It was only getting started but had got going very nicely indeed. Love hate was further along before it became really good.

• Advertisement

it is okay to have different opinions, i do not think it will be back considering the budget needed and the company behind the financial side of it went to the wall, rte won't finance it because they are barely keeping the lights on.

love hate gets brought up a lot in this thread as a comparison but apart from them being based in ireland i do not see much of a connection but maybe that's just me.

Advertisement