Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upscalers, modern TVs and related blasphemy

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see the retrotink is getting HDR support as well which should brighten up the image, especially when using scanlines. Should look closer to CRT phosphors as well.

I was going to buy one this month as thought I had the money but the weekend delayed my mortgage payment so that idea is out the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I’m talking rubbish as I don’t really know how this stuff works but then I get a bit arsey as I held off on a high refresh display as smarter people than me said the ‘human eye can only see at 30fps’ and anything else was chad gamers with their ‘bigger number better’ mentality. (How has this been explained by the way, everyone and their granny can see that 120fps is vastly better than 60fps surely?)

But CRTs…they’re just magic to me. Just a really perfect harmony between humans and technology. It’s not that the image is there, it’s how your eyes/brain perceive it to be.

Could Bjork ever be that concerned with a flat panel? 🙂 An underpowered computer connected to a load of cheap lightbulbs…

I’m going to try and get myself some crts to see me through the next while and then maybe flat panels will have gotten to the stage where they can reasonably emulate this. Not sure how they’ll do this though, or if they’ll want to.

4:3 aspect ratio and curved display for a start I suppose. Then some way of emulating the ‘emissive’ output of CRTs. Maybe a 240hz panel and then output a quarter of each 60hz frame so that the image isn’t just static on the screen? Or with retro gaming is there a way of reading the end of each line of an image so you can insert scan lines etc? Maybe flat panels will be able to gradually increase the light of an image, rather than ‘here’s an image, and here’s an image’, etc.?

Just mad for me to think that no matter how much you spend on your state of the art flat panel, basically your granny had a better Tv than you. Brutal.

I’ve had a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you ever heard of an FED display? Never took off unfortunately, but it's flat panel technology that fired electrons at phosphors, so the same process as a CRT.

Rather than one CRT, it was array of thousands upon thousands of tiny nanoscopic electron guns, each one forming a sub pixel which would shoot an electron at RGB phosphors to form the actual pixel.

The wiki page is worth a read, it's really fascinating stuff. So there IS technology out there in theory which can achieve what we are looking for... who knows, it might even rear it's head again in the future in some other form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-emission_display

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the current tech being cheap and light weight is what wins in the end. Most customers don't care about picture clarity but how the TV looks in their sitting room with their furniture. It's the only way to explain how we have put up with quite frankly disgusting LCD and LED tech for so long. They make old dark films completely unreadable on the screen and as a result all new movies have to be high contrast to accommodate.

I welcome out OLED overlords and whatever tech comes that can match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah it seems to be OLED or nothing at the moment. MicroLED is on the horizon, but is quite a while away before it's ubiquitous and affordable.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

How do folks find their TV handles changing between 480i and 240p with their Retrotink 5X?

It hasn't really been an issue for me before as I mostly play 240p stuff. Decided to connect up a PS1 over the weekend, which has the Sony logo boot / jingle at the start in 480i but then generally change to 240p for games.

I get this annoying thing happen where my TV image flicks for the resolution change to 480i and then flicks again for the 240p signal. Like it's redetecting the video signal for each resolution. (the OSD also displays the video signal information when this happens as if it's detecting it for the first time)

Really, really annoying. Cuts the Sony boot logo and jingle in half.

I wonder is there a way to force it to downscale 480i?

One of the benefits of the retrotink is that it handles resolution switches seamlessly so that shouldn't be happening. The retrotink should be outputting at a constant resolution so if the TV is changing then something is up.

I've recently brought my first box of stuff out of Sauron's lair. Might be able to test my PS1 is I can find a PS1 game and it's still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Did you change any of the output buffering options, Oisin?

Master of the Universe

You'll have to stick up some photos of the contents of your Mordor boxes - sure it'll be like you're getting it new all over again.

I have not touched output buffering options at all, no - reckon that might help with the issue?

I must upgrade my firmware actually, I think I'm still running a pre Christmas version.

It's actually a bit overwhelming as I've a load of other stuff to try and put away so the games are way down on my list. Also realised that I might have the consoles but the wires are in another box..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

No, I was thinking changing the buffering would've possibly hurt things. The resolution changes should be hidden via buffering!

I don't have a PS1, so I could try with maybe Resi 2 on the N64, it's got a load of resolution changes.

Master of the Universe

And then the controllers in another box... on the plus side, hopefully it's the last time you ever have to move all your gear. Soon to be enjoyed in it's final resting place.

Ah I see! yeah I'm basically running it stock 'as is' apart from playing about with some post processing bits like the CRT shaders.

Have read around a bit and a lot of folks seem happy enough with their 5X handling different resolutions over the one signal, so it must just be my TV.

It's a five year old Sony LED so it might be about time to treat myself and upgrade to one of those LG OLEDs folks seem to be banging on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Hi folks. I have a small retro console collection - Coleco, NES, Megadrive, N64, GameCube, Xbox - plus some newer stuff - Wii, Wii, WiiU, PS3, Xbox360 - and an old Spectrum and C64.

I have an old 14” CRT which is too small for my aging eyes. The retrotink looks amazing but a bit of a reach financially right now. Looking through Adverts to see if there are any old TVs I could pick up on the cheap. Is there anything I should look for or be wary of - eg 100hz?

Master of the Universe

Has anyone else tried running Final Fantasy IX through the Retrotink 5x and managed to get it looking nice?

I had my first case of 'damn, I really wish I had a CRT to play this on' this evening when giving it a go. Other PS1 games have looked great, but there's just something about the combination of a lot of detail in this game at low resolutions that looks like ass when blown up on a big TV, even with post processing bits and bobs added.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This video is potentially interesting here - main board replacement for last-gen CRTs. Provides a NTSC/NTSC-J/PAL/SECAM compatible composite input and RF tuner (various PAL sound systems are shown, BG/I/DK anyway) that can be swapped on to many 'recent' CRTs.

Obviously not much use for RGB input unless there are headers on the board for that. I wouldn't be surprised considering last gen CRT tech was sold in France which required SCART, but its not obviously exposed.

Regardless of no RGB, this could be a useful swap on a small/mid sized CRT to give you NTSC/NTSC-J support when you need a CRT - lightguns basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqflFfvkR0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Master of the Universe

Case design is much nicer and I see they've put the scart socket in the correct orientation this time with the cable side facing the back of the unit rather than th efront.

Still disappointing to see the scart is on the side though, it would make more sense to have the component sockets on the side and scart on the back as scart puts a lot more pressure on ports when it's in any way not in the back of a unit.

I suppose it's made in the US so most folks will be using component there.

Crazy price though, I'll be sticking with my 5X I think! I see they have some EU distributors now which is great as you'd get stung for some amount on importing something that's 750 USD from the US.

The crt filter looks incredible on it but that's some price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Some wedge alright......all things considered, you're up to a grand before you have it in your hand if you end up importing. Lot of the good cables and stuff, you'd already have if you're coming from the 5X, which already does a stellar job. But there has to be a point of value and return.

Its better, no doubt about it, but there's more than a few desirable items coming to community over the next while......likes of the MarsFPGA could well be similar in cost (though if either managed some form of EU distribution, that would be sweet. 700-750 dollars would be more manageable though the VAT will have to be accommodated along the way). Already have some money put into the Checkmate Displays so might sit this one out until that delivers, and by then, a lot more will be known about the Retrotink.

Master of the Universe

It's interesting to see it at a similar price point to the MarsFPGA alright, definitely feel like you're getting more bang for your buck with MARs.

One interesting feature of the TINK 4K is the HDMI input feature. Means you could run a MiSTer through it. That'd be some combo on an OLED.

• Advertisement
Advertisement