Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shining a light on 'appalling' Direct Provision system

• 08-08-2021 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Removed, just sick of asylum seekers complaining about accommodation that Irish tax payers supply to them

Post edited by Tweeter on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

Can we not just give them the full dole as soon as they land?! -it'd clear up a lot of the incessant rubbish news articles about direct provision.

Here's yet another direct provision article from the journal this morning. Over 2 years now to process asylum seekers claims- that is the real scandal. They should be processed at the airport , legit claimant's welcomed in , spoofers return to sender.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dismay-as-asylum-application-times-increase-by-over-four-months-5515160-Aug2021/

One of the quangos spokesperson is looking for an amnesty for everyone in the system at the minute. Over 8000 people, then family reunification on top of that. I wouldn't bet against it ! The 'housing crisis' needs more fuel for the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

They may be waiting for years but at least they are safe, so they should be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Maybe I misheard but a woman was complaining that she and her three children had only one bathroom . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

But at least they are the only ones dropping bombs 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

• free bed and board
    • free internet
    • free light and heat
    • free clothes
    • free three meals per day
    • freedom to come and go as they please, as long as they check in every three days
    • free education for kids

In all these years I've yet to see a single instance of anybody pointing out exactly what is so barbaric or shameful about direct provision. The fact many centres are located in quiet rural backwaters seems to be the height of it.

Anybody in Direct Provision who complains about the conditions, it's like interviewing a prospective housemate who starts complaining about the cost of the utility bills, they're going on the reject list, as should any ungrateful asylum seeker who doesn't like the canteen food. The entitlement is staggering, and will only be passed down the generations.

An immediate relief to our housing crisis and our Covid debt would be to review the housing situation of former asylum seekers, of which there are over 100,000 by now. Anyone living in state provided/ assisted housing who has a less than consistent employment record, get on the boat. Easily a good few thousand rental homes brought back on to the social and private market.

You won't see housing heroes like Eoin O Broin and Rory Hearne suggesting that one, because in reality they couldn't give a phuck.

• Advertisement

Imagine being a Journal journalist. You're likely on below 25K, you're spending 500 plus a month on rent, you're never going to afford to buy a home unless you get picked up by RTE, and there you are writing articles demanding off the boaters get handed what you might never get- an affordable, permanent home.

That is just peak loser. The Journal writer doesn't deserve a place to live. Nobody who supports this type of thing does. I wonder at what point do they realise that the asylum seekers laugh at the campaigners, they regard them as losers.

And given the amount of LGBT types in their ranks, they regard them with more abusive terms than loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

If they don’t like it then provide them with a free ticket home.

With UK out of Europe, Ireland is now the soft touch and expect us to get flooded with people. Very very few with legitimate claims. It was such a huge problem in the UK the people demanded Brexit and the sh*t storm that is…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The problem is you can't process them at the airport.

If some family appear at the airport, from Afghanistan or wherever and claim their lives are at risk from the Taliban how is some sort of border agent supposed to verify that.

I'm not saying the process could not be quicker but if someone is seeking asylum their story needs to be verified.

It not a quick process to verify that someone calling themselves Joseph Ngogo from Gamgam village in South Sudan born on 8th August 1985 is actually who he claims he is, and that's only the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

anyone arriving with no passport should be held in Mountjoy til we establish who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I hope you don't drop yours on the tarmac at the airport next time your passing through the airport so!

• Advertisement

Speaking of Afghanistan, it has all the makings of the next refugee crisis given the rise of the Taliban currently.

Now would be a good time for Eoin O'Broin the housing hero to seek an assurance from housing minister Darragh O'Brien that under no circumstance will Afghans be brought to Ireland and given a council/ Part V/ HAP/ long term lease home within three months in the middle of a housing crisis, in the same manner over 1000 homes were handed out to Syrians since 2015.

But he won't. Because when you believe in nothing like him and his mob it's easier to rant and rave about vulture funds rather than go after issues that are closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Direct provision is an appalling system . Anyone who thinks keeping people up to a decade in a **** communal complex on subsistence provisions and thinks thats grand really needs to have a bit of introspection.

The asylum process needs to be sped up and funded properly. If it was it would probably save the tax payer millions in renting out large old hotels and the likes of mosney.

Instead it's under funded and we throw money at the private sector to house these people. It's for profit right now and that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

i’ll Just show my Driving License, PSC Card, Work ID all with Photo ID

But they are free to leave and go home whenever they like. They are there for a decade because they somehow get to lodge appeals to prevent being deported to perfectly safe countries. This idea that they are incarcerated for a decade is hilarious. They are by and large a gang of entitled moaners who deserve no sympathy off the hard working taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Ah now, you set up your system to be passports only. Unfortunately its off to Mountjoy with you based on your own rules. I'm terribly sorry! I'm sure the system will clear up the situation but unfortunately there's a bit of a delay so you'll be processed in about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The system works fine. If someone is in the process for years it is because of endless appeals.

Processing at the airport is far too drastic but one application and one appeal seems reasonable.

But currently you have endless appeals and if you frustrate the system long enough you get what you want as it’s too late and unfair to deport school going children and Ireland is all they remember

The system works fine . Then in the next sentence saying a different approach would be reasonable...

See what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

Underfunded?! Do you agree with minister roderick o Gorman that all asylum seekers should get keys to their own accommodation within 4 months of arriving here?

Young Rod really is a weird, creepy little man. Just something incredibly off about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

How many appeals should be allowed? Is it reasonable to appeal for years and years when your application is rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

People get exported home/out of Ireland every day, you just don't see it on the news or hear about it on social media. Anyone who works in our airports,who has a role in Immigration or the Gardai or Airport Police will confirm this.

Do you have the figures for number of failed asylum seekers deported? I can't find them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,072 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yet she became pregnant again with number 4 which is due on September...

Esther Adegoke has three children, with a fourth due in September, and said that living in Direct Provision is a struggle. "Our living conditions are so cramped. We’re in a tiny apartment sharing one toilet. I know change is supposed to be on the way but I’m here now four years and it’s becoming unbearable."

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0807/1239597-galway-direct-provision/

We're been taken for mugs by our political class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

What does she want? A toilet each? hahaha.

Sure most people I know only have the one bog in the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

The system needs to be changed. For example a time frame of a couple of months at most where the application for asylum must be processed; one appeal permitted (to be assessed within one month) then either you're in and you can get on with your life outside of direct provision or you leave the country. That way people wouldn't be left living in DP indefinitely and if they are genuinely seeking asylum they should be happy to be accommodated

More funding just means extra houses for solicitors to let out. The law will stay the same, the same nonsense appeals will keep happening, and with more funding there'll be more appeals and more work put in by solicitors.

When we get to the point that a bathroom sharing a bathroom is inhumane we've gone too far. It's funny, I would have thought that after escaping all the bombs and mortar shells and threats of rape against women and threats of kidnapping of kids and your family getting picked off it would be quite a relief just to not have to worry about that. Apparently not though, and most seem to expect a lot more for free than they would've had before any "issues" that led them to "fleeing".

Anyone who goes back to their home country at any point should instantly have their status revoked and be barred from entering the country. It's pretty hilarious stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Part of the problem is the endless rounds of appeals. If a decision has been made to refuse asylum, the applicant has a right to endlessly appeal the decision. Such a system leads to situations where people can spend up to 14 years in direct provision. A maximum of two appeals should be allowed and a two year time frame on a decision. Unsuccessful applicants should be rejected to allow room for those with more merit. There are not unlimited resources for asylum provision. I am personally aware of an applicant from Cameroon who has come to Ireland with one of her daughters who has complex medical needs as she feels she can access better healthcare for her here. Her husband and other children are living back in Cameroon. He has a good job. They chose Ireland for their daughters healthcare needs.

• Advertisement

Makes sense from her point of view. There is a miniscule chance of every been deported, will more than likely get leave to remain in a couple of years at which stage her husband and however many other children she has can move to Ireland.

Meanwhile taxpayers in Ireland can fund the medical and housing costs for her family now and long into the future.

Ireland needs some politicians to stand up and be counted, instead all we have are the government parties and opposition like Sinn Fein constantly bleating on about these poor people. Africa's population is expected to balloon to anywhere between 3 and 4 billion over the next 5-6 decades, how many of these people are expected to be allowed to move to Ireland?

Advertisement