Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shining a light on 'appalling' Direct Provision system

13»

Comments

The only solution is to scrap the current system. Do what Denmark and Australia are implementing. No one should be allowed fly into Ireland and claim asylum. We already take thousands of people separately through UN refugee replacement programs. These are the genuine cases and most people would welcome them.

The current system is only kept going for the benefit of those working in the system and making huge sums of money from it, NGO's, politicians, landlords, legal profession etc.

It is breeding huge resentment among Irish, European citizens and legal immigrant taxpayers who have to fund all this.

If you need asylum present yourself to the UN who operate throughout the world and they can work with countries willing to receive people to organize resettlement.

We need to stop giving residency and citizenship to people who buy plane tickets to fly to Ireland usually indirectly.

I am sick of the abuses that have been going on now for over two decades cheered on by the usual suspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am half afraid to say this, but anyway.... what are the chances of an EU wide approach to this I wonder? Let's say asylum seekers MUST present themselves at a central point in Europe for processing, and the country taking it on (there's the rub) be compensated handsomely for this operation.

OK so NO asylum seeker just lands in an EU country without having gone through the vetting process in country A and gets leave to remain in any EU country of their choice once they have proven their legitimacy to claim asylum. The legwork is done and they are deemed legitimate, otherwise it's back to wherever with you.

I realise that there are Conventions on Human Rights, refugees and so on, but this method does not preclude anyone from CLAIMING asylum it just processes the claims in a central point.

I am obviously very naive though and missing something fundamental that does not benefit me at all. And what country would take it on anyway, Hungary perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

How exactly does an asylum seeker fly in to Ireland without a pre approved visa? I know that for New Zealand, for just one example, if you are to fly there you must have

a- a pre approved visa and,

b- if it's a tourist visa, you must have a flight booked, be that onward or a return flight, to a country where you already hold an entry visa for, or where you can enter visa free. This is to dissuade you going to ground in NZ on a tourist visa.

Airline will refuse to fly you into NZ without showing this proof beforehand, as the NZ government will leave the cost of deportation to the airline if they refuse you entry.

At least this was the case when I was there.

The EU is trying to bring in a new pact on migration, part of it is an expedited stream for people coming from countries where the average acceptance rate for asylum is less than 20%, the Commission have said there should be a processing time for less than 12 weeks for those people and swift deportation with th. So far the Irish government hasn't said if they intend us to be part of this and bring it in, we have an opt out because we're not in Schengen. Theres a lot of unease by the eastern European block about it because they generally aren't where asylum seekers want to stay so if the burden is shared equally among member states then they could end up with more than they currently have. I think as well since Merkels actions in 2016, lots of other EU countries are wary of having a common policy https://www.robert-schuman.eu/en/european-issues/0577-understanding-the-new-pact-on-migration-and-asylum

The pact would require the agreement of all the Schengen countries, since they're unlikely to get it on the whole pact, theres talk that it may be broken up into chunks to achieve some of the goals https://www.politico.eu/article/on-migration-pact-eu-may-finally-try-break-it-to-make-it-strategy/

O'Gorman seems to be just doing whatever he wants as regards to asylum seekers in spite of the fact that there is evidence from other EU countries about what happens long term with accepting large numbers of asylum seekers and how much the public will tolerate especially when resources are scarce. The European Commission has said that anyone whos application is unlikely to be accepted should not be integrated, O'Gorman says the exact opposite and wants to give them own door housing in 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

I see so many people complaining about conditions in Irish Direct Provision centres. They are hugely better that than provided in Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Camp Moira, Greece

People continue to vote the likes of O'Gorman in, there are real life consequences to this however.

I'm not saying there are any alternatives out there but ultimately the responsibility lies with the people who vote for him and the others like him.

They have the full backing of the media as well. Why would they stop doing what they are doing.

Edit to say, does anyone have a definition of what the EU declares an "irregular migrant"? Their figures don't match anywhere close to the numbers who came last year and subsequently claimed asylum. It seems almost like a deliberate policy that they try and obfuscate all the numbers.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/networks/european_migration_network/glossary_search/irregular-migrant_en

"In the EU context , a third-country national present on the territory of a Schengen State who does not fulfil, or no longer fulfils, the conditions of entry as set out in the Regulation (EU) 2016/399 (Schengen Borders Code) or other conditions for entry, stay or residence in that EU Member State."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭Cordell

Such convoluted ways of saying illegal immigrant :) Irregular purchaser i.e. shoplifter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,788 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder in x years when housing due to almost 7 million people living here will the government when nowhere to build houses be hitting people with compulsory purchase orders... a guy say who inherited one three bedroom house from his parents.... be fùcked out into a one bedroom apartment.... so the house can be given to a family of four arriving from kabul or wherever.. i can see it....

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've seen that definition but it doesn't match to the numbers arriving or to the classification of the people who arrive. They seem to use the terms interchangeably which makes it almost impossible to get a final tally for total figures.

Last year during the pandemic over 460,000 people applied for asylum, the overwhelming majority were first time applicants. The EU separately says there were only 124,000 irregular migrants. Meanwhile other reports discussing the 2015 crisis counts all 1,200,000 as irregular migrant flows. The mixing of the terms causes confusion that they can't seem to figure out themselves.

Anyway, in summary, we still have close to half a million "registered" asylum seekers coming into the EU every year. This will be greater this year now the pandemic is fading away.

The lack of will on behalf of the EU to solve this is pathetic. The numbers entering year in year out are enormous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Your under the impression they would even give him the one bed? Can see some NGO's screaming racism that he was placed there when so many single men arriving from Africa every day that need a place to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cpxxc

Most asylum seekers are economic migrants. I don't blame them for trying it on. But that's the truth. Who wouldn't want to leave the crap countries they want to escape from . I've been to Africa no wonder they want out. Much as I love Africa, it's a stunning place but I wouldn't want to live there.

But meanwhile actual asylum seekers are lumped in with the opportunists.

Is that fair. Clearly it's not.

On the other hand I wonder sometimes. I remember one day having to explain to a woman from Africa that she was not in Britain. I kid you not. She genuinely thought she was in the UK.

Maybe that says something about us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Back in July I was at a passport control kiosk in Dublin airport on the way home from Italy, a young lad at the next kiosk said he had no documents, when asked where he was from and he said Eritrea, he was on the same flight as myself and would have needed a passport and PCR test to board the plane, and have a Biometric face scan taken in Milan also, he was delighted with himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,788 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

in 20 years, we’ve seen according to CSO figures about a 1.4 million population increase...

1990 : 3.51 million

2020 : 4.93 million

My rough maths say about a 40% population increase in 30 years... that’s not sustainable...that’s not affordable, that’s not fair on the population already here who as a result have less fluid access to healthcare, less ability to get from A to B as traffic has increased, demand on public transport has increased,... we increase the wellbeing and quality of life for others, literally out of our own pockets and at the expense of our wellbeing as we become second class citizens, many retired people loosing medical cards like my folks and their neighbors and so on....medical cards from our pockets, taxpayers , directly into the hands of new arrivals.

we end direct provision while not perfect the country will be on its knees providing own door accommodation, we can’t...we probably will.

Advertisement