Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant women's vaccinated partners not allowed to stay with them in hospitals.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The second link is about Switzerland but ok.

Here is a piece specifically about Ireland. It's very helpful for women in labour, not only to have the support but to have someone to advocate for them

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/forcing-women-to-give-birth-within-a-specified-timeframe-is-abuse-1.3282848

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the situations described here are true, then this is an appalling indictment of the nursing staff, who are totally failing to do their jobs.

You'd really have to question how Irish trained midwives are allowed to practice in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sure, write off all 10,000 midwives in Ireland because of a couple of bad experiences. That's totally reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Deeec

You obviously havent given birth yourself in the last 10 years! I can tell you the stories are 100% true unfortunately.

There also is nothing wrong with Irish midwives - its not their fault - its the HSE where the problem lies - staffing levels etc. Maybe a solution could be is to have more carer type people working in hospitals to help out the nurses and midwives with helping to care for new babies. Its ridiculous that women are expected to care for their babies straight away after a section or difficult birth ( often weak and drowsy with painkillers ) with no help from staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭celt262

What is the status at the moment are husbands/partners allowed in during hospital visiting hours?

My wife has a very slow early labour but spikes to 10cm and delivery within minutes.

Medics were caught unawares during 1st birth, delayed epidural, causing her to be overly numb at delivery, which caused large issues during the birth with her not able to time pushes or communicate how she felt.

Warned midwives for next about it, was dismissed, saw it start to play out same way, went back to midwives and became insistent. To shut me up they came in and insoected her, immediately started walking her to delivery suite, had to put her on trolley half way up, entered delivery suite and baby born within minutes.

Hmmm, wonder what would have happened this year...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

yes, and many people died in the famine too. whilst both statements are obnoxiously obvious, neither are favourable. as ignorant as your first statement is, your concluding paragraph is also just terrible. PS. i dont agree that the staffing levels are too low. my experiences x2 have been that there are ample midwives, however, they are too busy sitting around eating biscuits to help, and have the graduates support. for one of my visits, 2 mws were seated infront of the telly watching the galway v clare hurling game 3 years ago, which went to extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

yea, i think this is particularly true in the case of small children. who would know better about the childs personality and form (knowing what's normal or not normal) than these magical nurses that have never met the child before. you are looking at this from a very blinkered perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Worthy of quoting your reasoned reply to a completely ignorant post. There are a few others of similar opinions. Comments about people "wandering" about are also crass and ignorant.

The general HSE/Department of Health/NPHET handling of the Covid issue is an unending sequence of illogical incompetence. These are maternity hospitals, outcome scenario intended to be a bit different to standard hospital.

"They" set them up so they really need to have adapted to the new circumstances by now and be able to welcome both parents or mother and "friend" as applies. There are ways and means of arranging for people to accompany prospective mothers safely, and if "medical professionals" haven't figured it out you wonder at their capacity for actually being able to carry out their job properly.

There is no reason for this rubbish and it really is typical of the whole health industry incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's possible that there are sound medical reasons for inducing births in Ireland. Maybe the obstetricians are concerned about the likelihood of overcrowding in maternity wards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

It’s very clear some of the posters on this thread have neither given birth in Ireland or have heard birth stories from Irish hospitals.

A common theme is that they don’t even tell you that you are getting an episiotomy, or other interventions. The decision is made for you. Now you may argue that it’s best for the baby, but you should at least be given the dignity of been told what the medical team are doing.

A woman needs to recover after giving birth. Many women will of had c-sections, a tear or an episiotomy so they have wounds that required stitches. They are sore and in some cases weak from blood loss and of course exhausted. Many will need help to get out of bed to go to the loo no mind trying to pick up their newborn baby. Do people in this thread really think midwives are running around helping new mothers care for their babies. Because that in all honesty is not the experience that any mother I know has experienced.

We all know Ireland has a good record when it comes to maternal mortality, however I think there is room for improvement when it comes to the amount of women with birth injuries.

I personally hope when I give birth in a couple months that my partner can be there for the whole labour and allowed in for more then a couple minutes afterwards. We have paid for private scans for this pregnancy before the hospital scans so that I wouldn’t be in a position of receiving bad news on my own and having to tell him. Thankfully things are looking good so far with our baby. We are lucky that we could afford to pay for those scans. Not every couple can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Deeec

Very well said. I wish you all the best for your new arrival. Hopefully your partner will be allowed in by then.

Advertisement