Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

He said himself he wasn't the greatest club man before they won intermediate in 2018 (I think), so I doubt it unless he was in last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Coen is by far the best option, he captained UCD to a fresher title and a sigerson title, a team that had Con O'Callaghan, Jack McCaffery and Jack Barry on it. Also captained Mayo to minor and U-21 All-Irelands. That doesn't happen by accident, hes clearly a monumental leader, thats an unparalleled level of success

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Few retired players have mentioned Keegan being a real chilled out guy who is not your normal run of the mill county player, some lads not officer material but lay it all out when things get going. Can imagine Coen being the model good guy about training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Great news for Stephen Coen, and sort of inevitable that he would one day end up with the captaincy.

As for Oisin, there were strong rumours going round for a while that he wasn't going anywhere, but it's all gone quiet again, from what I can hear. If he doesn't go in the next couple of weeks, then I think he will be staying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think it's the role of a captain that you don't get tbh... Best player doesn't mean best captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Stephen Coen was always going to be a shoe-in for captain based on his record. He must have something that is not so obvious to the general public punters. Decent, hard-working player, but I wouldn't have put a leadership cap on him from what I have seen on the pitch. But obviously behind the scenes, the man has something special in terms of leading, organising, players having confidence in him as a spokesman etc. Wish him all the best. Hope he really pushes on this year. Based on what I have seen, I would have picked Paddy Durcan as a potential captain as will. He seems to have that drive.

Re Keegan, he seems quite laidback. Don't hear him being vocal on the pitch. He goes about his job in a quiet manner, and generally does it well when it comes to the crunch matches. Could very simply be that he doesn't want to be captain. Many people I knew over the years didn't like the attention it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I know what you are saying but we are talking about a guy who has shown real leadership on/off the field, player of the year, all time half back scorer, does great interviews for the PR side, has the respect of all GAA people, keeps a low profile and no BS with him, just what we need. I don't care people saying he is a bit of a joker, but once he togs out there is no joker there. He walks the walk. I think Coen will do a good job but what do you not like about all that!! That is real leadership and what a captain should stand for and just to reiterate I am not having a dig at Coen. I am making the case for Keegan.

I don't think McDonald ever captained Mayo as well but look where he is now ....leading on the sideline but he kept to himself as well. I would prefer Keegan or McDonald ever day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Fair enough and maybe he doesn't want it. It is a pity if that's the case. He is underestimating himself. Sure see who the Dubs had..but he did it when it counted as well.

Right that's me.

Hope Andy gets off to a win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone used the Connacht Gaa streaming service yet? Will be getting it for match on Friday, just wondering about quality etc and if you can watch on more than one device at the same time? Im guessing not but worth asking anyway as there is little information on their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

Bought Leitrim v Sligo match. quality was v good but you can't cast to TV (no chromecast button on stream).

if you have smart TV, could use browser on that, or else cast your phone screen to TV and put it full screen.

Or just watch on laptop or phone!

Good to hear quality is good, ill be able to cast from laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Think I'll make the spin from Dublin to Clones for the game on 6th Feb. Any recommendations for cross-border towns nearby to load up on cheap cans? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Team named for the game tomorrow evening

Mayo GAA Senior Football Manager James Horan has announced his team for the first FBD League game V Galway in the NUI Galway Connacht GAA Air Dome tomorrow at 6pm to start the 2022 season. James Horan has named five debutants in the starting 15 line up, Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels, Fionnan Duffy Crossmolina, Jack Mahon Charlestown, Sam Callinan & Frank Irwin Ballina Stephenites. 

Castlebar Mitchel's Paddy Durcan will captain the side on the day.

Starting 15 for the Mayo team:

1. Rory Byrne Castlebar Mitchels

2. Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels

3. Padraig O'Hora Ballina Stephenites

4. Sam Callinan Ballina Stephenites

5. Paddy Durcan (C) Castlebar Mitchels 

6. Michael Plunkett Ballintubber

7. Eoghan McLaughlin Westport

8. Conor O'Shea Breaffy

9. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers

10. Fergal Boland Aghamore

11. Diarmuid O'Connor Ballintubber

12. Frank Irwin Ballina Stephenites

13. James Carr Ardagh

14. Fionnan Duffy Crossmolina Deel Rovers

15. Jack Mahon Charlestown

SUBS:

16. Jack Livingstone Breaffy

17. Paddy Heneghan Castlebar Mitchels

18. Matthew Ruane Breaffy

19. Robert Hennelly Breaffy 

20. Stephen Coen Hollymount/ Carramore

21. Ruairi Keane Mayo Gaels

22. Justin Healy Cill Chomain

23. Rory Brickenden Westport

24. Ryan O' Donoghue Beal an Mhuirthead

25. Paul Towey Charlestown

26. Darren Coen Hollymount/Carramore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

7 that started the All-Ireland final v Tyrone (Lee Keegan, Oisín Mullen; Conor Loftus; Aidan O'Shea, Bryan Walsh; Kevin McLoughlin, Tommy Conroy) not part of that 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Its really good to see so many new names. But disappointing not to see a new name in goals, but not surprising!!

Nice to see Healy in there, pity he’s not starting. By all accounts he tore up the junior championship. Can’t ever remember a cill chomain player for Mayo previously.

Be interesting to see how the Ballina lads get on. Callinan got mentioned as one to watch in the examiner, a lot seems to be based on one good championship match. I hope he’s not being over hyped. Ballina have a history of it

I see Healy started for Carr. Duffy doing some nice scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there any Balla players likely to make the squad this year?

Trying to keep tabs from afar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Final score?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Fintan Ruddy and Gabriel Irwin the 2 from Cill Chomáin that I'm aware of that played county previously, (though when Irwin played it was called Glenamoy as opposed to Cill Chomáin).

Healy didn't feature much, but the quality of ball to him was poor to non existent so hard to do much there.

Final score was 0-17 to 0-13. Galway should have won by more. We were awful in the last quarter, and not great in the second quarter too. ROD did well when he came on, but Galway got wise to that and managed to double mark him out of the game. Paddy and Fergal Boland our best 2 overall I thought.

Mind you, Galway did seem to have a stronger side named whereas we were missing a number of first choice players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What exactly is the idea of this indoor dome thing? I don't see how it makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Have you never been to the west of Ireland in winter?

Seriously? I really dont know how to reply, it's a great facility

€10 for that stream tonight was a disgrace, one camera ffs, absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How many times has a game been called off due to cancellation? If the weather is THAT bad, are you really going to want players travelling in the weather anyways?

The capacity is also only 2000 meaning only meaningless games will be played there that would have no problems being cancelled.

Tonights game could have been played on a normal pitch. Pitch drainage is excellent nowadays.

Is it fake grass too? Just like soccer playing on 4g pitches, I don't think it should happen. It's essentially a different game. Imagine they decided to play an NBA game on concrete outside, it just wouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Hope last years All Ireland loss hasn't knocked the wind out of the sails of this squad.

Easily beaten tonight, and looking toothless in attack.

All the hallmarks of a team that knows where the road ends..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Did you even bother to look at the starting lineup, bench and the first team players omitted? Did you?

Advertisement