Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm going to take a different tact on this post.

When you say "a team that knows where the road ends" your implication is that Mayo know the road ends at an All Ireland final, and not some preseason competition and thus are focused on where the road ends.

A couple of years ago, pre COVID, i think there was major disruption to the FBD league calendar, and what games were played were played in terrible conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

It will be interesting to see this year with Horan. I am a fan of Horan for what he has done, but I think last September's defeat has damaged him a lot taken into account all the other final defeats. The newer players have now lost two all Ireland and this is not good as Tyrone were a team for the taking.... this was a really missed opportunity. He has some big calls this year as a couple of the same errors came back to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

A game played in atrocious conditions between Mayo and Galway in the FBD (it was either 2018 or 2019) also destroyed the Mchale Park potch to the point it hadn't recovered by that summer.

The Dome is amazing,there'll be one in every province in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mod Edit

Warning issued as poster is Threadbanned.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement

The poster you replied to is due their regular "don't post here again" warning soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why don’t they just build domes around the various gaa stadiums instead?? That way at least some people could go to the games. Who wants to play in front of a giant cumulus cloud??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hard luck today Green & Red. I'd say there's a bit of disappointment with the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Disappointing performance yesterday, 14 wides (some bad misses and some just poor shot selection) for us vs 2 for PP tells it all. I thought Darren Mc made a huge difference when he came on; if he'd been fit to start, it might have been a different story.

Overall PP deserved the win on the day though, Carey was excellent for them. Good luck to them in the SF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Thoughts on Aidan Orme? I thought he showed some really good forward play at time, along with some of the bad calls you'd associate with a typical Mayo forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

Stephen Coen looks like a good choice as Captain given his Uni experience where he was also Captain and experience Captaining Mayo to Minor \ U21 All Irelands. One can also throw in captaining his club to AI final. I hope he retains it when a new manager comes on board at the end of the year and will have a big clear out. There is more to being Captain than being a good player. He must have it given the number of different teams that have appointed him Captain.

The "Dome" looks like a good piece of business. I had not realised that pitch was full sized and crowd capacity was 2000. I saw a report somewhere that cost €3 million. If true this seems reasonable given the potential use for Schools, club games, training etc (mens & ladies). Expect another 10-12 to be buily in next decade.

In addition to Captain Mayo has also a new Chairman which is welcome. I know nothing about him but hope he raises standard of the Board and organises the appointment of a new manager at the end of the year in a professional manner.

Mayo club can’t even beat Roscommon now. 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

some just poor shot selection

seemed particularly haphazard when they were chasing the game in the dying minutes. Although if that lad had only been able to keep his shot down at the very end...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thought Knockmore were poor yesterday, Dempsey and Mc Loughlin never got into the game. Orme kept them in it at times. Carey was outstanding for Padraig Pearses. I have a feeling that Mt Bellew were the best team in Connacht this year, only that ref robbed them in last game.

I think he's very good, good enough to make the starting 6 for Mayo in the next year or two imo and he has the advantage of being able to play either inside or on the 40. Yesterday he won a good few breaks where he timed it very well running onto the breaking ball; even though things were going astray at times, he didn't drop the head and kept plugging away (his was the last shot that went just over).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

The only answer when you don't like what someone has to say but know at the back of your mind that their opinions hit the nail on the head and cannot come up with something more enlightening to say. Una duce Una Voce

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Twas almost a one-man forward show for Knockmore. Can't remember the other forwards doing anything. Even my 6 years son was commenting as to why number 14 is always getting the ball for the yellow, and why don't the others. Darren McHale got on a bit of ball when he came on, but was very wasteful.

I thought Darren improved things massively when he came on - we started moving the ball much quicker through the hands and looked much more dangerous than prior to that when we seemed to go over and back without much penetration

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Does anyone care about the FBD league though? No one goes to the games hence why it was played in a 2k capacity venue. It's essentially a 3rd/4th choice team that's played.

Playing indoors with no wind, no natural element of a wet ball etc on astro turf. It's not GAA. Won't take long for the first knee ligaments to be snapped either. You can barely even make out the posts as they're the same colour as the dome.

There won't be any matches anyone cares about being postponed being played in it.

Mayo have had crowds of up to 7k for FBD games before Covid,about half the counties in ireland (both football and hurling) don't get that for championship.

It's not taken too seriously but it's something to look forward to in the depressing week after the festive season.Im mot sure what your problem with it (are you even from Connacht?) or the dome in general is.

Anyway,your opinion on it doesn't matter too much either way,the Dome itself is class,I don't think people around the country realised it was there til they saw it on the rte news sports report. They'll be trying to build something similar in all provinces over the next year or two.

Even when Covid is finished I hope they play FBD there every year,it would be a sellout every time and would be a great atmosphere indoor.

• Advertisement

Why not build over the existing stadiums. I can imagine Hyde Park similar to the Minnesota Vikings stadium with an all glass exterior looking out onto the graveyard. And McHale Park could be like the new stadium in Las Vegas, Westport is the party capital of the west. Pearse stadium can just be chopped off and let float away in the Atlantic, biggest dump of a venue in Connacht. Go back to Tuam and build it like one of them new Qatar stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So you're saying 7k people went to FBD games?

Sure the capacity of this marquee is only 2k. It's not real football. It's like playing the world cup final on concrete...it's not the same game.

I'm telling you now, there'll be many injuries on that fake pitch. Lads wearing studs are going to get stuck and ligaments will snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Compo82

Experienced Wicklow forward joins last year's Mayo senior semi-finalists Westport (the42.ie)

I wonder would James Horan have a look at this fella if he's interested in playing for Mayo. Played sigerson for DCU as well so he's handy enough. Mayo could do with a big forward that can score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You're prob right. You'd obviously have more focus on the match, presumably being from Knockmore as you say "we". I don't mean it as a slight against Darren MacHale. Very good player. I just remember couple of occasions where he scoffed decent chances. I guess it stands out when its the county players that do it. Not fair to judge him solely on that if his overall contribution was positive.

Yes,you didn't know that? I could dig up a link if you want?

I don't know anything about ligament damage stats on astro v sh1te muddy pitches in January and I suspect you don't either.

The Dome

An indoor all weather sports facility that can also be used for lower profile inter county games in winter.

I, for one am outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Good news coming our way soon I think ……

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Now that would be a boost indeed.

Advertisement