Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Neil Francis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭ Larbre34

Fitzgerald's useless punditry should take him out of the game ordinarily, but as the old saying goes, 'a podcast never refuses bullshyt'.

it has made the bbc

Ugo Moyne weighs in the prick!

He should be more worried that tomorrow brings back memories when he single-handedly butchered the first test and effectively the 2009 series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭ ebbsy

I would know Neil well, the Mrs is asian and knows him also.

We both think he is not a racist.

Too many people at home during the virus with nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ Darc19

The Indo has been trying to get rid of some of their highly paid columnists.

Instead of paying a severance for curtailment of their contract, they just wait until the slightest controversial comments even if they are out of context

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭ Interested Observer

Francis doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt at this stage and I certainly won't miss him.

As for the tweet in the first post - WTF is that supposed to demonstrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭ Loafing Oaf

Maybe Franno and Eoghan Harris could team up with a podcast of their own as the Irish Richard Keys & Andy Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭ Ash.J.Williams

I didn’t know Filipinos were people of colour , every day is a learning day .

what about the Spanish?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭ Ash.J.Williams

every line of text he’s ever written is to stir ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭ ClanofLams

It’s a really poor reflection on the Indo. Luke Fitzgerald and two of their main rugby journalists sitting there listening to it and nobody had the cop on to say ah we better cut that.

I would think it was ignorance more than anything else from Francis but he’s been an ass**le for a long time so who cares.

I see it caused Ewan Mackenna, the simpleton, to have an absolute meltdown on twitter slating Paul Kimmage, Alan English, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭ Dav010

He wasn’t talking about his skin colour though, he was talking about his haircut and tan, the ignorance as I see it, is that some cannot see the difference between a racist comment and one about image, they do not have to be mutually exclusive. Is it wrong to comment on a sallow skinned person who laps up the sun to get a tan, just because it might be construed as a racist comment? No it should not be, so yes, PC shite gone amuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭ Clegg

I see the free speech warriors have made it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ RamonD3

Looks like a bit of a setup to me, would be shocked if he knew about Smith's heritage or indeed commented based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭ stephen_n

The Indo live in that territory, constantly on the edge or just over it clickbait. They are perfectly happy to publish or produce this stuff. They will sacrifice a contributor (wouldn’t call Francis a journalist), because they will hire someone similar to replace him. Why would they care what it comes out like, look how much interest they have gained in their sh1tty media now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭ expectationlost

a setup? all he had to do was not make comments on peoples look and concentrate on discussing sport.

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭ Loafing Oaf

So Fitzgerald must have been in on the plot, laying a trap for Franno by bringing up Smith in the confident expectation yer man would start on about Oompa Loompas?

The Indo have sacked him so probably won't be doing a u-turn on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭ Faugheen

Well except for the time he referred to the colour of a mixed race man as an ‘Oompa Loompa tan’.

If you’re going to slag off someone’s skin colour you better make sure you know what you’re talking about, otherwise you deserve everything you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭ Dav010

The ignorance of it. If he slagged David Beecham, or the permanent-tanned Ronaldo for their tan, would it be xenophobic/homophobic/racist? No it wouldn’t, it would just be slagging him for being so image conscious. It’s only the PC/woke brigade that are making an issue of this, unfortunately the Indo caved to this rubbish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement