Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Side Effects - What side effects did you get from your vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Much the same 🙁 it comes and goes. I could just pick something up the pain would shoot up my arm with me ending dropping what is in my hand.

My bloods came back normal which is great but annoying as what is causing the problem. So getting an x Ray of my neck, arm and hand.

My doctor said the same thing again but why it started a week and half after the vaccine. I never go to the doctor so for me to go there must be something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

I had something very similar. For 8 weeks after 2nd pfzier jab I had complete loss of power and shooting pain in left arm...not able to lift a kettle/saucepan or reach for something in the fridge e.t.c eventually went to the doctor as was starting to get worried as it wasn't getting any better.

I had a pretty sore arm after the 2nd jab which caused me to hold my arm in a certain position and not move it much which in turn caused a frozen shoulder. This then also led to tennis elbow as I tired to manouver around the sore arm to lift things e.t.c. a cortisone injection into the arm and a tennis elbow physio strap and arm is back to normal after a week.

I was convinced I had nerve damage but thankfully it wasnt too serious and fully treatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

All side effects caused by the vaccines can (and indeed should) be reported to the HPRA in Ireland. It's a straightforward process.

Info and link to form here:

https://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicines/covid-19-updates/safety-monitoring-of-covid-19-vaccines

I had my first AZ six weeks ago. Woke up this morning with my back covered in hives. That's almost certain to be unrelated?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hives are more of an immediate allergic response. Practically impossible that it was caused by the vaccine, an allergic response would have kicked in almost immediately.

That said, being vaccinated could have your immune system on high alert and more likely to react to something.

Most likely you've been bitten by bed bugs or fleas or something. A small dose of steroids for a couple of days will ease the itching and bring the hives under control. (Obviously go see a doctor to confirm).

• Advertisement

Beyond that it's unlikely to be anything to do with the vaccine you really have no idea what's caused it or how severe it is so best keep the medical advice to yourself.

I took an anti-histamine and it isn't itchy. Hopefully it'll stay that way and then go away. Will be avoiding steroids or steroid cream for as long as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Delayed urticarial reactions have been reported after both Moderna and Pfizer. Not sure about AZ.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"Delayed" in the context of vaccinations means within approx 2 weeks of the injection. Not six weeks.

idk dude, you're the doctor. I just saw it online and noted it since I have a different form of urticaria.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

I've actually had problems with my skin for the last while. Thought I had insects in my couch or something with lots of what I thought were bites on my arms. Girlfriend remembers I've been talking about it for a while and we washed all the cushions and I did a big clean. It pretty much coincides with vaccination.

Does this stuff usually stay if it is from a vaccine? I'm not so enthused about my upcoming second jab when I look at my back in the mirror.

I've never had hives or allergies in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Going by latest update in EudraVigilance database, "Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders" category. Reported reactions in ASTRAZENECA (CHADOX1 NCOV-19) bit less than Pfizer (Tozinameran) but much higher than MODERNA (CX-024414).

On the bright side AZ does seem to have a much lower percentage of cases reported in that category leading to death than the others.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Best bet is to see your doc, but even they won't be able to tell you the likely scope of anything since no medicines like these ones have ever been administered to humans before.

Could just be an allergy that started around the time you got injected. You could try an elimination diet and changing your washing powder/soap etc.

Az dose one was like a 24 hour hangover for me so pretty unpleasant. But that was it. Dose two was smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

My willy shot off like a champagne cork.

I was saying I had a hives outbreak but it isn't. I've never had hives so I just assumed it was that. It's more like a discoid lupus rash that my ex used to get. (Not saying I have lupus) Main reaction seems to have stopped and has been replaced by a massive itchiness and it looks like my back will be like this for months with some parts potentially scarring forever.

I'll still get my second shot in a couple of weeks as it's basically a requirement where I live. But I massively regret having to get vaccinated and am not going to judge someone for not wanting to get one. After being very pro-vaxx, I now wouldn't get the second shot if I had a choice. I've since found out my girlfriend's mother has the same on her chest and it's been like that for two months.

If this has awoken an immune system disorder in me, after seeing what living with one is like with my ex, I'll be devastated. I already have other health issues to worry about and don't want to live in fear that I'll wake up to my face covered in a rash that will leave me disfigured for months or forever.

I can't even talk about this in real life or I'll be ostracised and called anti-vaxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had an itchy skin condition when I was pregnant and it was massively uncomfortable so I empathise about this. Have you visited the doctor about it? Charcoal ( or coal tar) soap relieved it for me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I have read your posts and is it true you are living in South East Asia or am I wrong in thinking that ? Apologies if so .

This could be a myriad of things from insect bites to an allergy to a vaccine reaction. ( even in Ireland !)

You will have no peace until you know and because of your girlfriend's autoimmune condition you are jumping to the worst case scenario.

Do the usual things . Get it checked by a doctor . Bathe it and put some basic emulsifying ointment or moisturiser on it .

It might just be a skin rash that will resolve and while I understand your stress , rising stress levels tend to make these things worse .

You may need steroid creams or antibiotics / antifungal.

I don't know what shot you got but if there is any question of an allergic reaction this should be notified to your vaccinator as soon as you know one way or the other as you may need a second shot of a different vaccine or some antihistamines/ steroids prescribed when getting it again .

Moderna has been linked to some particular skin reactions alright.

Hope all goes well for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

My partner had Pfizer and was fine after dose one. But after the second dose she got nausea which turned into vomiting after 3 hours of the vaccine and the vomiting went every hour for 16 hours.

Needless to say that boosters won't be gotten if offered and we regret getting the vaccine (I got Janssen and was laid flat for 24 hours with fever and chills, aches etc) as two people being of categorically minimal risk to serious covid effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Pfizer and developed chronic dermographism urticaria. Started not long after getting the vaccine and never did figure the vaccine in until recently. Was worst a night and as soon as I went to bed it got even worse. The little cotton balls on bed cloths can feel like someone has eaten toast in the the bed and sprinkled crumbs all over it. Heat and pressure and rubbing the skin triggers it and once an area is triggers then I could be scratching for the night, at it's worst I can end up with only an hours worth of sleep. One area will stop and another starts. Have some "hotspots", the inside of the arms especially the lower arms, the outer area of my lower legs, just above the tops of my knees, chest, side of my neck, under the breasts and ribs, and back. Can feel like pin pricks on the skin when triggered and area gets very hot.

I've ruled out food, washing powder etc and seeing others having same problems on medical sites. Now on 2 * 180mg antihistamines to get some relief and control. I shower in the morning and must be cool, might sound funny but I have to wear my bra on inside out because the seams cause problems. Room also must be kept cool. If anything else is having the same problem try the cools rooms, cool showers in the morning if night time is the worst and loose clothes, but see a doctor. Exercise is also a trigger.

2 lots of bloods do show I am having a reaction to something, scratch test is out of the question specifically if I can write rude words on my body and it comes up raised and red. Have been diagnosed with cutaneous lupus is the past. I'm getting pictures etc together and will report to medicines lot.

Post edited by spookwoman on

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear.

Might it be the lupus flaring after the vaccine?

Did your doctor suggest steroids or anything other than antihistamines?

I had this ( milder) after the flu dose I had in Feb/ early March, 2020, which my doctor thinks was Covid.

Got itchy sore skin followed by red itchy raised spots all over my body but especially my legs. It settled with steroid cream and antihistamines, but kept flaring, until I got my first vaccine!

Sounds like you need systemic treatment, again ask your doctor

Hope you get sorted soon.

Ps miss your posts on the Covid thread x

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Lupus rash was never like this. One doc said vacuum bed might be bed bugs and gave me Peritone Antihistamines, took bloods as well. Was given the advice of cool room etc. Got to see my own doc then a week later and gave me telfast and bloods showed immunoglobin raised. Took more bloods for foods etc. Still increased immunoglobin, was waiting on foods. Increased dosage to 2 a day. The rash can go away after an hour or it can hang around longer with no itchiness. No use taking a steroid cream for something that's transient. I've uploaded 2 images of the rash the arm one is the best one that shows the lines I get from just a scratch. Might help with someone looking for a match to theirs. After a shower I can look like I was in a fight with the red scratches all over my body. T

Oh wow. Nothing like mine. Or lupus, yeah.

So it moves position?

Mine was red spots that blistered and bled and were really itchy. First time he saw it he said scabies so I had to treat myself and the whole family and strip bedclothes and cushion covers throws etc and launder and repeat again and again all while I was feeling miserable and breathless. I was totally mortified!

When it just got worse he put me on steroids, very breathless at that stage and creams and was apologetic. Good doc, in fairness he had never seen this before and we do tend to pick up nasties from work sometimes 🙄

It settled but flared up every time I felt unwell or got hot after that as I said, but nothing since the first shot. So 10 months of it.

Sorry no help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

Lets not hope we have to pay out like the pandermix mess. With the amount of people taking the Covid vaccine and the states indemnity it will break the country approx in 6 years time if anything like the swineflu vaxx.

Think you are talking to the wrong person here. Mine was a side effect of an illness, cured by the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

Thats great. Take jabs as much as you want. Not much consolation to the people with life changing diseases being compensated by compo from taxpayers.

I will. Doubt if it will be but...

I really don't want to get into this antivaxx shxxe with you. Goodnight.

My back has almost completely cleared up and I had no reactions to the second vaccine which was AZ again. I was feeling extremely negative when I was posting here before but am ok about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I got the same thing after Pfizer, really nasty rash that was incredibly itchy and sore to the touch. Lasted a good while and left some scarring that’s going to be there forever. Was even slightly reluctant to get the second one because of it but it didn’t flare back up luckily. To be honest, because of the scarring I don’t really think taking the vaccine was worth it in the end considering I’m not in any way at risk from covid.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry. I've had urticaria and I know it really, really sucks.

I suffered with it for about 8 years, prescribed antihistamines with a shrug by my doctor, and started looking at online groups for people with urticaria out of sheer frustration, which is where I came across a lot of posts mentioning vitamin D. There are some studies showing significant correlation between low vitamin D levels and different types of idiopathic urticaria. I ordered a pin prick test online (with Cerascreen, but lots of companies do it now) and sure enough, my vitamin D was incredibly low (4ng/ml - deficiency starts at 20ng/ml 🤪). I started supplementing ~6000IU a day (BetterYou spray) and it took a year for me to get it to 45ng/ml but the urticaria is almost completely gone now. I haven't had a hive in months and the pressure welts are few and far between. I'm going to continue supplementing high dose until I get over 60ng/ml and then maintain that.

If you haven't had your vitamin D levels checked in a while it's definitely worth it, just in case it's a deficiency that just happens to have coincided with your vaccination.

Good luck. I hope it buggers off soon.

Advertisement