Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Look at the R numbers, specifically the timing of them coming down after the previous peaks.

The mid October 2020 drop coincides with the introduction of level 5 lockdown.

The early January 2021 drop coincides with the introduction of level 5 lockdown.

The late July 2021 drop coincides with....re-opening of international travel and indoor service in bars and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Oh I'm so terribly sorry. Help me out with your slang kind sir. What does " naff all protection" mean to you, because I took it to mean useless / not effective?

Also worth pointing out that number would be 7-8 without vaccines. For context at 7, 100 cases becomes 34,300 in 3 weeks

Probably not. We haven't had R=R0 since a brief moment in March 2020.

Alpha R0 was estimated at about 4 but we only hit around 2 at Christmas.

More likely we'd have had another level 5 lockdown before it got anywhere near that bad.

But the vaccines have allowed us to plough on regardless.

This looks interesting, although I haven't finished watching it yet so can't summarise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

ABC news reported today that in the US, 300 children are admitted to hospitals with Covid per day. That's before the new term begins.

Not really comparable to Ireland, because of the low overall vaccination rate in the US, and the Covid denial that is preventing mask usage in schools in some states.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's interesting to see the UK lag behind on this, it seems they will start doing so soon, is it supply issues? Are they planning on using AZ as boosters (and thus not applicable for young people)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

According to Sky News, they are delaying the 12-15 year olds to focus on boosters, I doubt that's down to capacity but rather supply.

They also need to focus on millions of second doses of Pfizer, so it could all be down to supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Interesting news from the UK.

"Of course these vaccines do work and would be beneficial to children in terms of preventing infection and disease, but the number of serious cases that we see of COVID in children this age are really very small," JCVI member Adam Finn told Reuters.

"There are uncertainties about the long-term implications of (myocarditis), and that makes the risk-benefit balance for these children really quite tight and much tighter than we would be comfortable to make the recommendation."

Risk benefit balance is being considered.. sounds familiar.

But let me guess.. according to certain experts in this thread, the UK Government's advisory panel are now "anti-vaxxers" and spreading "misinformation" 😂😂

How many under 18 years olds have died from Covid in Ireland?

I believe we have had seven under 25 year olds die from Covid. Do we know the percentage of these 7 that had underlying health conditions?

I believe in the UK fourteen under 18 years olds have died of Covid and 78% of these had underlying health conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭brickster69

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Can we all agree now that the vaccines are a load of shite for anything but reducing severe symptoms?

Or are the usuals still going to insist that 'it could be worse' so the vaccines must also be significantly slowing or preventing transmission, and thus vaccinating healthy children that aren't at risk at all will somehow save us from some variant at some point in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

There is no way I'll be getting my 5 year old vaccinated. The risk/benefit ratio is very clear here - the threat of Covid is almost negligible to his cohort, and added to that is what we now know about these vaccines ability to stop transmission, so it makes no sense from that angle either. I don't believe in giving my children medical intervention they don't need.

He is fully vaccinated with the mmr etc etc btw, so I am no anti vaxxer. But covid is no measles, and this vaccine will have barely any benefit that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Still undecided on that but I think we'd be better off getting boosters in adults and getting developing countries world vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Just like many more, that’s working out well, the same promises will be made for each subsequent booster but even the dogs on the street know that normal life will never be allowed return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think we're a bit too precious about children. At the end of the day, they're just small, snotty people who sponge off adults.

I say, don't vaccinate them. Let covid run rampant among them - we have 10 years of data on its long-term effects and we can confidently say that it's harmless for them. Keep the vaccines for the grownups. You can always birth more kids but you can't birth more adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

this viral disease

Where most infections are mild, asymptomatic

With a very low fatality rate

And a very large age gradient: kids are even lower risk than adults

And less than 1% of kids have any serious complications at all

Yup

Polio

And we vaccinate against it

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

The polio vaccine has achieved herd immunity and its eradication, something that these vaccines cannot achieve against COVID19. If there was the possibility of a complete eradication of the virus on foot of these vaccines being administered widely enough, I might reconsider. But as we can see from our current situation, they are not equipped for this task. They can simply mitigate symptoms and in my view are only useful in cohorts vulnerable to hospitalisation.

They mitigate symptoms, yes. Those symptoms include death.

Oh, and Long COVID. Fancy severe fatigue, brain fog, joint and muscular pain, and shortness of breath for a year to 18 months? And Long Covid is something you can get even if your symptoms weren't severe enough to be hospitalised with.

You're clearly an expert, though, having done all your own research, and clearly know more than the medical experts, researchers and clinicians, so you do you!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

No way, reasons.

1. Kids do not die from covid.
    2. Most are probably immune at this stage anyway, as covid is quite infections and they have been at school for much of the pandemic.
    3. mRNA is too new a technology to try out.
    4. It is unclear if mRNA is actually properly approved.
    5. The inventor of mRNA Dr Robert Malone says kids should not get these vaccines what so ever.
    6. Kids immune systems need to develop naturally.

1. They're a minority, but kids have died from COVID. Measles isn't usually fatal, but we still vaccinate?
    2. Mad speculation with no evidence.
    3. It's been used by a few billion people already, following testing, and is very well understood. Meanwhile, technology that is too new to try out on humans includes anti-worm medicine developed for horses, but I bet you've no problem with Ivermectin...
    4. Absolute bullshit anti-vaxxer propaganda! Seriously, how can you type those words and expect to be taken seriously?!
    5. Malone? Fantasist or grifter, you decide! One thing he isn't is "the inventor of mRNA".
    6. So you object to vaccinating for diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, Hib, polio, hepatitis B, pneumococcal and meningitis. Grand. Good to know. You're an anti-vaxxer, peddling anti-vax bullshit.

Ignoring the first 2 opinions:

1. mRNA is too new a technology to try out.

Over a decade old technology, how old should medical processes be before it gets used? Billions have had the vaccine.

1. It is unclear if mRNA is actually properly approved.

It is.

1. The inventor of mRNA Dr Robert Malone says kids should not get these vaccines what so ever.

Didn't really invent mRNA (he worked on some of the first papers in the area), hasn't worked on it for years, currently shilling Ivermectin as a cure-all for everything SARS-COV2 related. Good article on him here if you're so inclined:

Robert Malone: Vaccine Scientist, Vaccine Skeptic - The Atlantic

1. Kids immune systems need to develop naturally.

If you don't vaccinate your kids at all with any vaccines you're probably not going to get a SARS-COV2 jab, but you're also putting many other kids and people at risk.

I don't understand the problem at all. As a kid and all our kids are vaccinated with MMR DTP Hepatitis B PCV MenB Rota, whatever vaccin available under the sun. Only die hard anti-vaccers won't have their kids vaccinated. No other normal person ever batted an eyelid over vaccinations. But now Covid-19 vaccine is where we draw the line. Aaaalrighty then.

The problem is social media, the amount of conspiracy nonsense that is spouted and all these nutcases now have a platform. Every Joe on here believes what they read on social media, no filter, no research, no corroboration. Someone said Covid was spread by 5G masts and people start burning G5 masts. True story.

"Kids immune systems need to develop naturally."

Of course, by playing outside, getting their hands dirty, being with other kids in class, getting a cold, getting chickenpox, eating healthy food. Not by exposing them to deadly viral diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

‘getting a cold’ is exactly what covid is to the vast vast majority of children, get away with your deadly viral disease 😂

This is the main issue many parents have, that children don’t need this vaccine. Their may or may not be societal benefits, but their kids don’t need it.

• Advertisement

I would argue that if there was a vaccine for the common cold (mutagenic as it is) it would be part of the early childhood programme already.

Advertisement