Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2021/22

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking about Robertson and the WC. But if I remember he does not like the venue at all in Sheffield. Plus he said at the two table set up he finds the venue cramped and he cannot approach the table in the same way he likes to.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I like Hendry's throw away phrases. Doubles are 'penalty kick' stuff for Higgins. Great way of putting it I thought. Looks like Higgins has Brecel broken already? Higgins just waiting for Brecel to make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Higgins starting to run away with things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

This tournament deserved its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bit of a comeback on now though

• Advertisement

Worried for Higgins, looks rattled. Lost a lot of finals lately and he’s really struggling now. Got a large slice of luck after that missed red.

It'd be a kick in the unmentionables for Higgins if he can't close this out.

He has lost a lot of finals this past year or so.

Wheels are coming off for Higgins, never ceases to amaze how drastically things can turn in snooker, 9-4 Higgins, totally dominating and now heading to 9-8 with Higgins looking totally lost.

8-9, Robertson slight favourite now I’d say.

Here we go, here we go, here we go....

Don't care who wins it

• Advertisement

what bottle to play that opening red

Crazy plant attempt from Robertson, oh but Higgins misses a sitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

How many finals from been way up do ya lose. Retirement might be on the cards.

Dear oh dear, 4-9 to 10-9, say the last thing Higgins wants to do is talk to Rob Walker.

Neil Folds is being very forgiving, which I can understand, but lets be honest John lost that more than Neill won it, when it went 9-4 John's game just plummeted, a totally different player missing pots and not getting safety's.

Hendry being more honest and saying it as it is.

I think it is a mental fatigue thing for Higgins. Happens too often to be a coincidence. He throws so much at a game mentally he just gets worn out. Then if he lets up a bit - standard wise he finds it hard to switch back 'on' again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So Jimmy only has another 2 years left now to win the Worlds! Lost 6-2 to Andrew Pagett. Ranked #109 in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Novel complaint by Stephen Maguire - "the table was upside down".

Stephen Maguire Calls For Sackings In ‘Upside Down Tables’ Rant | Snooker (thesportsman.com)

Seems they switched the aspect so that the crowd was at the black spot end of the table rather than at the baulk end as usual. Actually seems a fine idea to me and a 'why isnt it always like this?' thing. Presumably the standard method originated back when the cameras were about 5 foot wide and would block the crowd.

The one name I have not heard all week, compared to this time last year - Is Stephen Hendry.

He does not seem to be in Sheffield at all from what I can see - blaming lack of practice. Is that it for him now, and he'll probably just play a bit on the Seniors tour.

'Still fire in the belly' – Stephen Hendry vows to continue despite World Championship snooker absence - Eurosport

Judgement Day One today with the first eight final qualifiers taking place.

Scott Donaldson the first man home with a 10-1 win over Allan Taylor. Lyu Haoitian should be next home, 8-1 on Dominic Dale.

Old regulars like Stephen Maguire & Ding Jinhui are involved in 5-4 matches after the first session.

Seniors champ David Lilley is 5-4 on Ding, and another 'amateur' Michael White also 5-4 up on Jordan Brown.

• Advertisement

First 8 through are Scott Donaldson, Lyu Haoitian, Stephen Maguire, Michael White, Thepchaiya, Jamie Jones, Ding and Ashley Hugill.

4 of them are ranked outside the T50, but of the bigger names Ding will be awkward for any of the seeds and Maguire could get through against some of those ranked 7-16.

Tomorrow the bigger contenders are HossVaf (18) and Dave Gilbert (19) and there's a battle of beaten finalists with Ali Carter against Matthew Stevens.

And the final 8 qualifiers are HossVaf (current rank 18), Dave Gilbert (19), Liam Highfield (43), Noppon Sangkham (38), Matthew Stevens (55), Chris Wakelin (62), Jamie Clarke (66), Jackson Page (90).

So quite a lot of debutants and players from the lower end of the rankings, which must have caused some players in the 60s to lose their cards when they thought they were safe. Also I think we could see a lot of one sided matches depending on how tomorrows draw goes. Though obviously Gilbert is one most players will want to avoid, and Vafaei is arguably one of the most in-form players since Christmas.

UK Championship format is being tweaked again.

Flat 128 draw is gone - instead it will mirror the World Championship with Top 16 getting directly through to the last 32 whilst all other tour card holders and amateurs going through a series of qualifying rounds for the 16 other places.

With just 32 players in the TV stage, there'll only be two tables in play at the Barbican this year (I think it was four or even six last year).

Best of 11 is staying.

And in Irish news, Ken has got another 2 year card.

Steve Dawson Announcements - World Snooker (wst.tv)

Post edited by ArmaniJeanss on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Enjoyed the Ken documentary on Virgin last night. Great seeing footage of Jasons. Would make a man weep.

I never knew Eamon Dunphy was so involved in his early career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

What Virgin Media station was it on? I completely forgot about it, and it doesn’t seem to be on the Virgin Media player 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

It's on the player alright but you have to search for it by name. I had the same issue today but found it and watched it.

Didnt show up anywhere before searching it for some reason

I wouldn't worry too much, it'll be repeated ad naseum for the next year (their Niall Quinn doc has been aired about 100 times).

It's definitely on next Saturday night at 22:50 on station 103, and obviously an hour later on their Plus1 station. But probably will have plenty of other airings as well.

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Strange. I've searched for it by name and still can't find it.

• Advertisement

I couldn’t find it either when I searched by name. But I’ve set the sky box to record it on Saturday nights thanks to the above poster

Advertisement