Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think Ng On Yee is a nice tidy player, better than Reanne and i think "Mink" Wongharuthai who'll be on the main tour next season will be a step up on both of them. It'll almost certainly take a couple of generations for a real impact to be seen, but they've got to start somewhere.

Fergal out of European Masters with a 3-5 defeat to Wu Yize, probably just cost him a grand as he'd likely have run into Ronnie anyway, but it's enough to knock him out of the one year list qualifiers. Every £1,000 is critical from here on in!

Speaking of Ronnie, interesting the worlds No.1 and 2 are both on the baize at 2.30. Not sure selby gonna like it but no way ronnie don't get to be on match table, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Strange lack of crowd at Milton Keynes for the European Masters. Even the likes of Ronnie and Trump playing in front of a few dozen fans.

I know it was a switch of venue but they still had 2 months lead in time to generate interest, and MK has a population near 250K. Tickets were £10 for these sessions on the first 4 days so they haven't particularly over-priced them. Maybe it's just the sort of place that you wouldn't travel to from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

What channel is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭B2021M

Yeah and there have been so many tournaments there lately that everyone who wants to go has been there??

• Advertisement

Eurosport1 from 2.30 (afternoon session/matches) and the evening ones from 6.30pm

might be more coverage on the Eurosport app or "Discovery+" ..whatever that is..

Good reffing there from Andy Yates (sp?) ,,, didn't look like a freeball there,,, fair play tee Andy!

Ronne just shooting the breeze there with one of his mates I presume 😃

he deserved a clap for not fouling there, did WU. very awkward bridging there from amongst the reds with that touching ball a few shots back,, must be very very few people there at European Masters in MK,,, folk must be sick of venturing to Milton Keynes, as another poster mentioned,, it's almost like watching a match from the last 18 months or so, it's that quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s some shot by Wu,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This seems to be only the second tournament at MK this season. Can't remember how well attended the English Open was, and anything the previous season was behind closed doors. This one just seems to be bizarre, you'd think people would turn up for Ronnie anyway.

2021–22 snooker season - Wikipedia

Ronnie offering some good words of encouragement,, spent a while talking to Wu after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭B2021M

Sorry you're right...of course lots of them were behind closed doors. It is very odd yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

People may just need a break from the snooker this week. I've hardly had it on myself.

One week seems to blend into another for some of these tournaments. And want to be rested ahead of the Players Championship and Sheffield.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Snooker is banned until the final this week in my house. The missus has had enough. Working from home means I get to see the afternoon sessions though.

I need to prioritise watching the worlds.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Stunning result for Leone Crowley in the WSF championships, beating experienced former tour pro Billy Castle 3-0 to reach the last 32. Looks like he'll run into Michael White in the next round which is another tough ask, but it's been a great tournament for the 15 year old who hopefully has a good future ahead of him. Last of the Irish left standing.

Well, that ends Leone' s journey in the world amateurs amwyay, 0-3 to Michael White. Slow, nervy start and gave up third frame after his opponent needed snookers. Good lesson learned and good two weeks for him. Nice to have a talent like that to give us some more hope.

If you're going to draw Stephen Maguire, no better time to play than 10am on a Monday morning! But really clinical performance from Fergal, missed hardly anything and I'm confident would take Thepchaiya next round if he can reproduce that. Ken could really do with a win too, but will have it tougher against Mark Allen this pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Haha I will have to look at highlights of that. I see that Fergal is now ranked ahead of Ken.

Fergal 74 and Ken 77. Fergal is now Ireland's No1. Hill is at 99.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah, i think the rankings accurately reflect the current pecking order. Fergal just has that desire and ferocious will to compete that i think he'll be the one to retain his card for next season. I'd love to see all 3 do it, but realistically, my only confidence is in Fergal. I think Aaron's time will come, all a learning process for him, still a baby in snooker terms.

• Advertisement

Was actually thinking about Aaron during last night's final. He actually played pretty well against Fan Zhengyi last week and wasn't much between them, just a little lapse of concentration here and there. And i remember when he beat Zhao Xintong last autumn not long before Zhao went on to win the UK. So he knows he can compete with these guys, just a matter of finding the consistency and fluency when he's in on breaks.

Welsh Open on Eurosport and Quest atm. Jordan Brown playing Mitchell Mann in rnd 1. 3 apiece, and it's very early into decider, with Mitchell having a decent lead of 35-4.. Good pot on red and now JB has advantage here, with snooker behind brown,,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jimmy really turning it on here against Robbo. 2 breaks of 25 so far.

Chen goes 3-0 down…

deserves to be after playing an absolutely suicidal shot to the middle pocket at a speed that might have even broken the tip it was that ferocious… table not at his mercy but a great scoring chance…

After getting a frame back Chen under hits an easy positional shot…

Jeez and under hitting safeties now…Selby with a few poor shots but Chen not looking confident and misses another long but straight red.. his highest break 22….

Big puff of the cheeks from Fergal as he closes it out against Theppy. Nerves of steel. Thep should have closed it out in the last but gave Fergal the chance and took it with open arms. Thats a big win in terms of his tour place and not done yet with Jimmy Robertson up next for a place in the qfs. Well within his scope in this form i would say.

Edit: today is only R32 match, not 16. Maguire match was held over, of course, so got bit ahead of myself!

Post edited by Joe_ Public on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

There'll be no messing from Ronnie today he's got the business hairstyle

job's a gud un for Ron

speaking of haircuts, that one Liam Highfield has aint doin him no favours 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Gas man Ronnie I reckon he talks all that nonsense to take the pressure off

He'll be winning tournaments when he's 50 ,he'll never retire

• Advertisement

that was a very entertaining decider between Selby and Highfield,, a great clearance by Highfield, after winning safety exchanges, with some fabulous pots, ensures he gets the victory over the jester - that's 3 times he's beat Selby now,,

and Ron thinks Fergal O'Brien (ranked 64) deserves a wildcard like what Jimmy, Hendry etc have. fair play to Ron there.

Advertisement