Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

So Trump's win in Turkey gets him into the top 8 on the 1 year list and the Cazoo Tour Championship.

A good break ahead of a very busy time ahead with the Tour Championship, World Qualifiers, and the World Championship.

With the Gibraltar Open on Thursday 24th - Saturday 26th, you could, if you are so inclined, go from 24th March to Bank Holiday Monday 2nd May with only three days Snooker free. And the Last 32 draw for Sheffield is on one of those days.

So, getting the head down, ahead of a busy time ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Potential nice twist to this story - 2 weeks later in Gibraltar he is 3-0 up on Kyren Wilson (best of 7 final) to win his first ranking event at the age of 46. Eurosport 2.

Another different winner. It really is opening up for players to have their day in the sun. Literally in the case of Gibraltar.

Another hit for Kyren Wilson is that he misses out on the tour championship because he lost that final. Higgins holds 8th place and will play Zhou on Monday.

Higgins also took 150 grand for the Bet Victor series. Mark Allen just needed a grand more and he'd have it. He'd regret not winning a match or two more in the Shootout.

150 grand is a nice little tickle. And shows that all tournaments can matter in their own way. Players have to be a little bit careful now about skipping over too many matches and events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I am absolutely DELIGHTED for Robert Milkins, getting his first tour win at 46 years of age. When he's on his game he's very entertaining to watch, scores really heavily at break neck speed. Seems a really humble guy as well, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement

Tour Championship Finals on ITV4 this week. Just one game a day, but long format best of 19.

I think it's Xintong v Higgins today, Robertson v Allen tomorrow, Ronnie v Williams Wednesday, Trump v Brecel Thursday.

Semi's Friday and Saturday (Robertson/Allen v Ronnie/Williams is the bracket).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

That defeat will hurt Zhao. I have to say made so questionable shot choices over the course of the match though.

This format gives some prep for the Crucible for these top 8. Every match is like a final, two sessions, proper length matches.

A classic this Ronnie v Willo 9-9. No going to bed with this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I just went to bed. I’ll see the result tomorrow

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Genghis

Loved it, my two favourite players. This tournament is right up there with Masters and WC, three epic matches so far this week and no doubt four more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

They don't count his WC win. It's the Top 8 on tournaments since then (i.e. this season).

This was the list, he is down in 24th.

1 Year Ranking List - World Snooker (wst.tv)

So Ronnie is going to be world number 1 going into Sheffield?

It would seem so. Unless Trump wins it maybe.

Ronnie didn't qualify for this in 2020, which was played in June 2020 and was one of the first sporting events to open back up.

So when that money falls off the 2 year list we will see some upheaval.

Stephen Maguire won the 150 grand in 2020, I was wondering what kept him so high up the rankings. So he will drop like a stone when new rankings are out next week.

Just checked, Maguire is World number 16 today, but he will drop into the 40s on Monday it seems. He has to qualify for Sheffield anyway.

The winner of the ronnie and robertson match tomorrow surely goes on to lift the trophy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Trump very unreliable today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

So so poor from Brecel there, he threw that away...still 8-4 to him but you don't want to be giving players like Judd hope, he had Judd in all sorts of trouble there, 9-3 no way back for Judd but now...stranger things have happened in snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Trump shouldn't have taken that yellow on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Impressive by Brecel, some shocking misses from Judd. Decent early finish though tonight. Off to bed

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Who wins the remaining 3 matches?

I think it will be a Robertson and Higgins final, and the aussie to win

Although both semis should be very close. Was Brecel really good, or was trump just really bad

The stats were fairly even between Trump and Brecel at the end. Just ran away from Trump in the afternoon session and he couldn't catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Great start here. Ronnie looking very focused. Robertson hasn't done too much wrong for Ronnie to be sitting 3-1. Next session is crucial for Robbo...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

The balls bouncing off the pockets is an joke

O'Sullivan is focussed on the 8 titles now

He really is. Win or lose tonight he's in the zone.

Ronnie has turned it around. 1 away from the final now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In the good sense it is typical Ronnie. It makes think in Phil Yates type similaes …. Like a cornered tiger Ronnie senses danger and pounces on his prey 😝

And worse still I have only watched a half hour!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Jaysus Doherty and Yates are hard to listen to. Put a saddle on Ronnie and they'd be up on him.

Doherty even said YES when Neil missed blue into middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Phenomenal snooker on display today. You could tell that one hurt Ronnie after in his interview. He's playing at the absolute best of his ability. Will be a contender for the Worlds this year, no doubt.

Robertson showed his grit there with a classy, classy final frame. He's probably playing the best I've seen him.

Honestly the Worlds could be amazing this year.

Advertisement