Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3.50 toilet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Public toilets are disgusting so if this means we can start having well maintained clean toilets to use then so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Again, I wouldn't use it. But some people I've camped with may go for it if the showers are fancy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Typical Ireland, shortage of housing-let's build units but only the quality can afford them.

Shortage of toilets-let's provide them, but charge a stupid price. I've no problem paying a small amount for the 'luxury' of taking a dump under a roof but 3.50 is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't like it, don't use it.

It's the only way force prices down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Doesn't matter. These toilets will be done and dusted in 5 years (or whatever)

Only a moron would glady pay to use a public toilet but as for all this talk about they will be clean? Boll*cks lol.

They could get cleaned at 12 midday and for some dirty bastard to **** all over the walls 5 minutes later. He won't care as he's leaving it for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

When you say spotlessly clean you obviously are jut referring to the surfaces.

Appears to be a windowless shitbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Very rare to find a public anything in the US as they have monetized almost everything. Not really a society we should be trying to emulate

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think they're great and hope they get the business and I think they will.

For me I'd gladly spend €3.50 if I was leaving work and going out for pints. Brush teeth, maybe a shave, a good freshen up in comfort, sort my drugs and things out. I'm a bloke but I can see women using them a lot more.

I don't think they've got people popping in for a slash in mind. I think people will find their use for them and a comfortable dump will be only part of the reason for going in.

Good idea and good luck to them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Plenty of supermarkets and malls in the US have free public toilets. Most I've used were maintained spotlessly.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lots of places such as service stations have closed their “ public toilets .”

if I badly needed to go, would pay the money , no problem. I think the charge would discourage many , so all the better .

The shower charge is probably aimed at the new “ camper van” crowd .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,689 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Aye I think that’s their target market really - people who would just use the facilities the odd time. While €3.50 might seem a bit steep, or even the €15 for a shower, there’s plenty of people will pay €20 for a taxi home after a few drinks, so they’ll probably be feeling a bit flush before going out after work too for a few drinks. It’s definitely going to capture a lot of tourists.

I’d probably use it in a pinch, purely because I’d know I wouldn’t be using it that often, but I’d want to be sure there’s some decent separation and ventilation between the stalls and the showers - I wouldn’t want to be caught short in the shower while someone else is flushing a dodgy kebab or curry out of their system only inches away from me! 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 85,280 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Do they give you a towel or have a body drier for the shower? Ten quid would seem much more reasonable while still expensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

€3.50 for a wee 😮

Anyone who pays that is crazy, and even a poo is not worth €3.50, unless you're touching cloth & about to part company with a giant log.

Post edited by Hamsterchops on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 A1Cork

It would be nice if they put plants or some bushery on top of the roofs of them, so people won't climb on them. Also inside a transparent bin a perpex type so you can see what is being disposed. They could be done well. Kept up to good standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭markw7

This calls for a dirty protest!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Exactly

The costs to keep these places clean and safe from the local junkies and toe rags is eye watering

If it gives one access to showers , it’s money well spent

Wonder will there be a “black in the jacks” on que to offer a nice array of nice aftershave ? I noted that trend came back a bit in recent times before Covid (hey they got to earn money , feel sorry for them , they things they witness )

back during the room , every decent size jacks in a pub / disco bar had them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

They are literally taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Excellent idea, and €3.50 isn't excessive either IMO.

Tonight some people will pay €55 for a hostel stay in Galway whilst others, who wouldn't dream of staying in a hostel, will pay €200 + for the extra comfort of a nice hotel.

No difference as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at the video (which I doubt a lot of the posters here did BTW ) it's literally worlds apart from your regular public jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It was a weird trend, maybe it would appeal to certain people who would like them "kept in their place".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

If I ever need to take a pi$$ or a pony and trap I go to a hotel an use their facilities. The public bogs in Wolfe Tone Square during lockdown were pretty well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

Has anyone done a 'dirty protest' in response to the EUR 3.50 cost? The obvious course of action for any protesters would be taking a dump on the doorstep. If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How is it gouging when you don't have to go in?

They're offering a different service to an average public toilet and they're still around if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not always true but I've been in plenty of countries that don't have public toilets at all. Try most of Europe or the US.

So there's no need to run down Ireland which is not unique with problems with vandalism or drug users.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Gouging as in Tourists who think this absurd idea is normal in Ireland, I'd hope there's no idiotic Irish person out there that would permit them to have the P*** taken out of them, Literally

I can predict the kind of reviews on TripAdvisor

Just back from Ireland, beautiful scenery, The Lakes, mountains spectacular, the food to die for, accommodation elegant and delightful and the Guinness, wow.

But....... €3.50 to take a P***, WTF 🙄

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

You’d be expecting 4-ply arts degrees, piped music, and an Armitage Shanks pull chain for that price.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

People are always complaining that the justice system in Ireland is useless and lets criminals off too easily. What if we combined free public toilets and the justice system?

Hear me out. If little Billy is on his third (minor) offence and seems like there is not much chance of him straightening out, put him on bog duty for a few weeks. Not only will he have to clean up the crud of society, he'll be far less likely to deface or decorate any of these public jacks after his tenure as fecal technician. Word will get about pretty quick and most of the scrotes will treat the bogs better. Even if they don't, there will be a steady stream of mischievous folk caught by the system and made to keep them clean.

2 birds stoned at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Fecal Technician has to one of the best Jobs discriptions I've ever heard😂

That said, thankfully we're not living in the 1800"s 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 A1Cork

I think the price is a fair price, I'm talking toilet facilities, look at the price of parking in the City or the price of a parking space at day time or evening.

It is a deterrent but not for the reasons stated it's an all across the bord deterrent. They want to turn Cork City into an outdoor City the public toilets of course would be needed. A Coca Cola bike system card system is needed. Sign up pay up top up. If I had to go to town 5 days a week I'd prefer to pay then be stranded.

Also a system would need to be installed so people don't try to go in two at a time, so my solution would be a time limit for the price you pay, or a system where the door won't close when two enter, or depending on what type of card or pass you buy, that allows for two people.

I would also stress that the top of them be decorated with some plants or bushes that would absorb carbon, and in a way that they don't get flattened when the parade comes to town. A bit of common sense.

Advertisement