Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3.50 toilet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

Not everyone lives within a stones throw of their house?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's clearly priced to deter the scumbags who leave public toilets all over the country in an absolutely shocking state. They're not going to part with 3.50 just so they can piss all over the floor or toilet seat. And while for the most part lads just stand at a urinal and are grand, from what my wife and others have told me you'd want to be really desparate to want to use some ladies toilets. I'd imagine the majority of takers for this will be women who would happily pay for the certainty that the toilet seats can actually be sat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I presume that the proprietor of this facility has done his research and that this is close to the end of a hike or trail of some sort - hence the likely demand for clean toilets and showers.

Three hundred and fifty pennies to spend a penny?! Inflation is out of control!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The term 'a fool and their money'... comes to mind.

• Advertisement

More deserved of the above post. If I could only figure out the new boards.... Or pay somebody to do it for me..

Broken hearted,

Broken hearted,

Paid 3.50,

And only farted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The jcdecaux toilet in my area is 30c. The shopping centre 2 minutes away is free. If there’s no crowd around you could piss up an alley. Free market and I think it’ll fail eventually. It’ll be attractive to women for sure, but once indoor dining resumes and this pandemic is over, nobody will use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Who do they hire for security? SEAL team 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

€13.50 was the starting rate according to the adverts.

Operator has said that he expects 99% of business to be from women.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

For that price, I expect to see the Loch Ness Monster, and I won't pay until I see the goddamn Loch Ness Monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

Don't worry about being forced to shell out three fiddy for a pish... Where this is located in Clifden is less than 30s away from two garage forecourts with perfect loos and almost directly opposite a public toilet block.

I think they are probably aiming at the camper van hordes who have descended on Connemara.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

If I was out with my kids and needed to use the facilities (them in nappies) would they have to pay 3.50 too?

I'd actually pay 3.50 if I cud bring the kids in with me.

If you need to go bad enough you’ll pay it. It’s a disgrace but it’ll work and there’s no law against it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'd pay something for those standards of facilities. The standard of public toilets in Ireland is awful. I know there would often be needles found in the ones on Grand Parade in Cork. Turds on the ground in others. I'd definitely pay to not have to put up with that. I saw on the news the place in Clifden had a card reader as well. Very handy as a lot of people don't carry cash any more. The ones in Merchant's Quay SC are €0.20 and I never have the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

I always thought It was mad that you had to pay to use toilets in Stephens Green Shopping Centre. Think it was 20c or 30c but they obviously had problems with people abusing them.

If there was a queue a Mile long at all other toliets and it was clean I'd happily pay €3.50 to use the toliet.

I absolutely hate public toilets and prefer to hold on then use them but it's worth it if they are lovely and clean.

I still come out in a sweat thinking about having to use Portaloos at music festival.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How often does that happen to you? It has happened to me twice in my 45 years and shopping centres sorted me out both times. I cannot see twice in a lifetime as a sustainable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

In Germany its 50c - €1 for to use the toilet in railway stations and while these are clean they are far from fancy. Also the footfall these toilets have is massive so €3.50 in a town in the west of Ireland that has a busy summer season and not much else is imo a bit risky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The sheriff's badge would want to be dazzling for that money!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why a disgrace? It's not as if they have a monopoly on going to the Jacks.

They are offering a service. It's up to you if you use it. I wouldn't pay it myself. But someone camping near there might

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah the lockdown where you could be 5km from home and no bars or restaurants were open and the council's have shut most public toilets over the last few decades so there are very few places to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The one I read scrawled on a bog wall over 50 years ago was

Here I sat lonely hearted

Paid a penny

And only farted

But at the time I thought the scrawl

Turds heavier than one tonne to be lowered by hand

was funnier.

I wonder do you have to bring your own writing implements to these new establishments or do they provide them free of charge?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Campsites have plenty facilities these days. If someone is wild camping then they would usually have a plan on hygiene that doesn't involve going into the middle of the city for a shower. If they are going to do that and pay €15 for a shower then they could just of easily bought a spot in an 'official' campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The standard of public toilets worldwide is bad as people simply abuse it and many simply don't seem to know how to use a toilet.

I had a cafe in a retail store once. You would need to see the mess some people would leave.

Very rare to find a public toilet in the USA - due again to abuse of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

All depends on the quality of whats on offer in my opinion. Most public toilets and indeed a lot of toilets in indoor dining facilities are often not well maintained. Business owners may not be willing to turn a blind eye to non paying customers using their toilets even after restrictions are completely lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

For someone who would like to sh*te in a clean, safe and well maintained environment, 3.50 sounds about right, it s "just a few coins", if it was a fiver people might have a bigger issue paying it.

The payment itself will reduce but not eliminate the chance of someone destroying the facilities, for whatever reason toilets show people up for being filthy animals. Also someone might relish getting one over on the toilet operator by paying their 3.50 and then top decking the cistern so hopefully the cisterns are tamper proof.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

As someone who worked as a porter in an upscale hotel, the title of "scumbag" isn't the determining factor on someone's ability to use the toilet properly. Plenty of suit wearers are happy to demand a spotlessly clean bathroom only to **** all over the place and leave it for someone else to clean up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Advertisement