Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Tokyo 2020 Olympics/Paralympics Thread in 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Yeah felt really sorry for the Taekwondo guy too. He did well and just lost it in the last couple of seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

This Omar lad representing Hungary is gettin fairly outclassed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anyone else finding the silence eerie? Watching the men’s gymnastics and there’s barely a clap, or the silence is broken by the announcements in the background 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not sure is it RTE or Olympic broadcasting bit there's background audio in the commentary. Very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think it's the refs mics. Handy when they are in English but Japanese sounds like we've got some interference from a phone call between teenage girls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kinda used to it after a year of little or no fans

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rhys McClenaghan qualified for the Pommel horse final. 2nd overall out of 76. Do they carry their scores into the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No, but only eight go through to the final, so he's in a strong position. One of his big medal rivals, from China, was knocked out.

The second half of next week looks very promising in terms of potential Irish medals - three decent chances in rowing and McClenaghan in gymnastics also, as well as a few longer shots like golf and rugby. The boxing quarter finals start around then as well, winning a boxing quarter final guarantees a medal - Kelly Harrington in particular the one to look out for there but some other possibilities also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did anyone else notice that RTEs former Head of Sport and well known rugby commentator Ryle Nugent is working for the BBC commentating the football, he was pretty good at it too. Wouldnt surprise me if he shows up commentating some of the lesser games on Match of the Day next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Brian017

I think he's working for OBS rather than the BBC specifically as he was on Eurosport's coverage too

• Advertisement

ah right, it must be a central feed. Must say I was surprised to hear him pop up commentating Olympic football but he was quite good. I like Nugent, he ran the sports department in RTE very well and it went completely downhill after he left due to differences of opinion with Dee Forbes. She seems to hate sport and she defunded his department.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

McClenaghan's prospects seem excellent. He reckons he can deliver an even better performance in the final. A lot can go wrong of course, but if he nails his routine, it will be hard to keep him off the podium.

The Womens Four in rowing look a really good bet to win a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

what is OBS ?

I heard Nugent commentating on soccer to BTW

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Olympic Broadcast service.

when RTÉ, BBC, Virgin or whoever buy a sporting event to broadcast (World Cup, Olympics, Euro’s etc…) they don’t just get the video feed, they also receive the events in house commentary feed in their preferred language… most would choose to use their own commentary for the events like football, but when there’s so many events to cover, like in an olympics, you’d have to use the official commentary feed the odd time.. when you simply can’t cover it yourself!!! (We’ve only so many George Hamilton’s)

case in point is when TV3 had the Rugby World Cup a few years ago… they used their own commentary team (Conor McNamara) for the Irish games (and perhaps England/Wales games), but then just used the event feed commentary for the lesser interesting games, so you had Aussies/Kiwi’s etc… commenting on certain games they showed… saving them a fortune to boot.

that’s why you always hear clips of Martin Tyler (of Sky Sports) commenting on games at World Cups/Euro’s….. despite Sky never broadcasting any of those tournaments… it’s because he’s there freelancing for the event broadcast.

I suspect Ryle is doing the same thing.

Anyone know what the story is with the water at the finish line in the rowing, is it dyed or something? The water is a much darker blue after the finish line than before it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't get why they had to show that fella doing all the crying on the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know, i wish they'd leave him in peace to get over his disappointment. The poor young fella 😢

Team GB were dire in the rowing so far. New teams, new coach?

Apparently he's doing okay though. One of RTE's pundits (a former Taekwondo guy I think) was in touch with Jack this evening and he says he's already feeling better and planning for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Watching a bit of the Olympics on the box the past couple of days. We seem to be doing very well in the rowing so far. 😊👍🤞

Since when was skateboarding made an Olympic Sport? Just saw some great moves there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

It's making it's debut - aside from the dexterity and imagination they know how to fall and get back up unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

Can't really take the swimming events seriously when you look at how sealions can swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Chase Kalisz of the USA has taken the 1st gold medal in Men's 400metres individual medley final in Swimming.

And well done to the Ireland ladies rowers going to Tuesday's semi final. They did well to get 3rd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,271 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought the O' Donovan brothers rowed together, is one injured?

No, he was simply replaced by McCarthy. I think it's Rowing Ireland themselves who decide who goes into the boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The older O'Donovan brother is the team reserve rower now, McCarthy is a stronger rower so he is now picked ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dyiz remember the Dutch female cyclist crashing at Rio 2016? (Van Vleuten)

https://youtu.be/-BuB32whcnM

I thought she was dead at the time.

Anyway, theres 40k to go and she has gone on a solo pursuit of less capable breakaway and is looking strong. Could be one of the stories of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

She got silver in the end today.

An Austrian who i out of contract and had no teammates in this race won gold after being in a breakaway from 0km and rode the last 40km alone

• Advertisement

Nugent can never be forgiven really tho for his fake over-dramatic commentary during the brief "Lunster" rugbyfan period

Advertisement