Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As I said in the main news thread:

OLED model looks lovely and a solid mid-gen update but can’t really justify an upgrade at that price, tempting though it is. Seems like it’d be 100% the way to go for a new owner though.

Interesting tidbit that Steam Deck 2 is on the way, but will likely be 2-3 years til launch:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Wish the lowest model has the new OLED screen. Might not be a bad time to jump on the older models for a discount until they are sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

For the amount I use mine I think forking out for the upgrade is justified. At least that's what I'm telling myself 😂.

I was tempted by some of the refurbished ones a while back just to get a second for tinkering around with.

I could stick windows full time on the old model then. Or the kid is getting into handhelds now so might be a good hand me down.

But hard to knock the battery boost and oled screen.

Should be open for orders on the 16th. That's the day my playstation portal is due.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Well that's me selling my 512GB first gen Deck and upgrading. OLED HDR...shut up and take my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Shame it's price locked behind the most expensive models, but hopefully the Steam Deck 2 is OLED as standard.

Apparently there's a good few improvements such as faster loading, better battery, improved Bluetooth and better cooling too?

Of course I just bought a standard Steam Deck...

They could have done more in terms of giving of a lead in time to those planning to buy. Just announcing it when it's for sale next week is bad form.

Yeah it's really strange. Most companies would announce months in advance.

I'm not too bothered though. It's really more of a traveling companion than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Very positive reviews for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Feeling a bit aggravated myself that there were no hints of this before my recent purchase. Ah well Im using it mostly for Switch emulation and rougelikes and its killing it on them, its paid for itself already, played more so far since I got it in the year beforehand. It'll do until SD2.

If they'd upgraded the horsepower Id be raging though.

I think you have 14 days to refund if you bought it.

I cant see stock being able to keep up with orders, I think I had to wait around 9 months on release, I dont expect shortages to be that bad, but if your plan is to sell your own and buy the new one, expect some delays.

I would have love to see a trade in service from Valve for the OLED, I'll definitely be upgrading, just don't think I'll be doing so on release.

also, for the poster above asking about Baldur's gate, from what I've read, act 1 is fine, act 2 is fairly playable but act 3 are still having issues, reddit is saying there is no major issues but I definitely seen a recent video somebody uploaded if I find it I'll post it here and he had cryoutilities installed and settings configured and still got major drops.

I think expectations for the latest AAA games need to be tempered especially at this price point, and one thing I dont see enough of is using the remote play option, I play ESO using this and it's real handy.

I believe there will be upgrades to the wifi card, the apu and the battery. Experts on Reddit are saying 20-30% increase, I can't confirm that tho.

In same boat as you, i'll probs save over xmas though and get it in the new year and game this forward to a family member. It's paid for itself twice over and my backlog is thanking me.

There are upgrades to the memory, the fan, the screen, and the battery. So you get a small performance boost, and a big battery increase, big boost in image quality and it's all a bit cooler, quieter and lighter.

Digital foundry video above shows a few examples. Where games run at 32-33 on the old deck now run at 38-39fps on the new one. 30 v 40 is noticeable. So it's not insignificant.

I've a reminder set anyway to order one when they go live.

It's strange that it was announced right before going on sale, as others have mentioned there's usually a few months between an announcement and launch as that gives people time to hold off. Worth noting the Lenovo Legion released not long ago, it's possible they didn't want to step on their toes and release back to back but still wanted to get in before Christmas? I don't think Valve are too pushed with competition, at the end of the day the more Ally or Legions sold results in more Steam game sales.

I guess we don't know the lead in time for orders either. Maybe the order we put in on Nov 16th won't arrive until after Christmas.

I'd be surprised since they already have manufacturing up and running and review decks are in hand.

The one thing that maybe makes it okay is they are not stopping to make the original. The oled is more of a premium offering.

I'd definitely chance asking for credit if I bought one and the next day it dropped price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭McFly85

Traded the 512 in to CEX while it was still a decent price so will look to pick up an upgrade tomorrow! The worst thing about the one I had was the backlight bleed so hoping that’s resolved on the newer ones.

Dunno what one to go for though, is the anti glare screen worth the extra money?

Anti glare is 50/50. Some people are saying OLED relies on the glossy surface to really shine, hence why TVs and phone screens are glossy.

At least with the LCD model, the glossy screen was slightly washed out colour wise and marginally less sharp but you'd probably only notice if side by side. I'd say it's personal preference really. Could always slap on a matte screen protector on the normal screen.

If my oled TV is anything to go by the anti glare might be worth it. My TV is like a mirror if the curtain is open.

In saying that, I did pick up a 20 euro screen cover for my existing deck and it had a great antiglare effect that didn't dull the screen at all.

Will be ordering one tomorrow too, but think I'll just go with the mid level again. I can justify just over 500 but not just under 700 on a second Deck.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I’ll go for the 512. Seeing some reviews and they do say that the anti glare screen slightly dulls the OLED colours, if it becomes a problem I’ll just get an anti glare screen protector.

How did you get on? Did they just test it or did they open it up?

Not exactly sure what tests they do but it’s pretty straightforward I think - turn it on, check the buttons work, WiFi etc. I left it in yesterday at 12 and they said the test would be finished by 3, but didn’t have a chance to return yesterday.

Got €400 for it but the price had changed overnight and when I went in today I was initially offered €270, the price had changed overnight. The guy was sound enough though and got my the original price because I brought it in before the price had updated.

Yeah I had the same idea as you did but I've the 256gb model and its down to 215 cash from 350, at that price i'd hold onto it. Just weary of having them open it, as you can make bits of the clips if not careful lol.

I'd keep it at that price. Stick windows on it and stick it in the dock. It's still a great mini pc with loads of connectivity options.

Not that it helps now but for future reference, use the online option on CeX to sell stuff. Price locked in for 10 days, free shipping to them insured up to €350. My 64GB price is locked in at €299, they're now offering €193 cash. I made a sell to CeX order last week, but checked again two days ago and redid the order to lock the price again. Just waiting to see if I can get an OLED tomorrow before packing it up.

I see people in the PS5 thread talking about selling different colour DualSense controllers, it would be handy for something like that when people want to swap stuff out and lock in a price before the team update them, just worth keeping in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thought the OLED was going to be available at 6pm, but see that it's only US and Canada. So just bought the LCD instead. Not overly fussed on the screen anyway, especially not for 150quid difference.

Won't get using until Xmas, but just decided to finally take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

The limited edition translucent version is restricted to US and Canada, the general OLED version is available otherwise. You won't be disappointed with the LCD version though, it's a fantastic device.

Just ordered the OLED model. Took about 5 minutes to get through with the demand. Listed as 3-5 working day delivery. Guess I'll put up my LCD model for sale in the next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Fair play, I made it to the paypal checkout screen by 6.01pm unable to process the transaction since.

Advertisement