Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

It’s a bit pricey for a 64GB deck in my opinion, as you’d need to fork out for a memory or extra storage. A 256GB deck is only going for 225 from CEX or 275 on adverts and everyone is trying to get rid for the OLED.

If you don’t like the handheld I wouldn’t get it over a console or a pc with a controller. I have the dock, and while it’s definitely useful I barely use it as I find it’s laggy the first time I boot into the deck with the dock on and it’s only 720p but it’ll upscale to match the tele.

I just play it handheld and didn’t find any games awkward at all, so maybe it might not just be for you.

Just for comparison if you want a steam machine you could build an optiplex with a low profile card and install steamOS on it and it’ll be the exact same as a steam deck docked and you can play games 1080P med-high with a controller also for about 300 quid all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That's the thing. My bulky Steam Machine is an old optiplex which happily runs the games in my library. The only issue I have is that it's big and space in the living room is tight, so I think I might look into building a small machine.

After a second night with the deck and having tried more games, I've concluded what I knew anyway. That it's just not for me. It's a great piece of kit but I think I'm the sort who likes looking at a big monitor/television.

Thanks to you all for opinions and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you just want to play the odd game on the TV downstairs you could look at the Steam Link app. Stick it on a Google Chromecast with Google TV, they are regularly on sale for €30. Just make sure you get the 4k one.

Or even try Adverts for the old steam link hardware. Then just beam it from the big machine upstairs.

That was a great kit. Usb sockets for the keyboard and mouse. Ethernet port for wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I still have one in the cupboard behind me, it was never used 🤣

It was never really a runner in this house as the PC is located in a bedroom and my partner can hear a fly fart at 50 paces, so it'd just be turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,312 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I bought a Switch earlier in the year but had only played it docked on the TV. Trying to get used to playing handheld now by playing Mario Odyssey, to help prepare for the Steam Deck.

It's fine. I do like having something on the TV in the background, just need to find a comfortable position on the couch to play in. Obviously it's different holding a controller as you don't need to stare at the controller and hold your arms relatively still. I don't think I'll be using the Steam Deck for anything too immersive or anything, and might look into the dock station thing to use every now and again. PS5 will obviously still be my main gaming machine though.

Bought a few games that I think will be great on the Steam Deck, like Blasphamous 2, Hi-Fi Rush, Vampire Survivors and Hades (even though I beat it on PS5, it would be a great game to have on Steam Deck). I'd be tempted to pick up Marvel Midnight Suns and the DLC if it dropped in price. Already played the base game on PS5 but again, I think it'd be a great SteamDeck game to play the odd quick game of or while having something on the TV in the background.

The main draw of the steam deck for me is the steam part, the games are cheap you can budget and load up on a sale. Otherwise I’d just be console all the way I think.

has anyone received their email for the OLED?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Steam isn’t a Steam Deck only thing, though - it’s been the de facto central pillar of PC gaming for well over a decade before the Steam Deck came along. There’s little a Steam Deck can do that a decent PC can’t do better. In terms of technology, versatility, upgradability etc… a desktop PC is miles ahead of a Steam Deck.

What the Steam Deck does have is a super enticing price point (especially given the pretty high cost of entry to PC gaming these days), usability and portability. For many, the compromises to the traditional PC experience will be more than worth it for those reasons - or if you’re using it as accompaniment to a traditional console / PC. But if you’re primarily a TV / monitor user, I think there are much more effective solutions for accessing Steam than a Deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Shipped last night, but be doing well to see it this week going on the last few Deck shipments. Arse about the Netherlands for a while before disappearing and reappearing a week later knowing GLS.

Got my shipped email this morning and then my "we have been asked to pick up you parcel" from the courier this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Badyback

Have you seen the new Playstation deck?

What's going to be the go to game for the OLED screen to really show it off?

Ori has to be up there. Anything else come recommended.

I’m gonna do FFXIII

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

My sd card has suddenly become unreadable and unmountable after latest update. Anyone else had this happen and did they solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

^^ I had this a couple of times, Had to reformat the SD card on my desktop. not a big deal with my steam library. But more an issue with the roms on the card, kept a backup on my desktop after the second time. Used the below reader

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Anybody else order last Thursday and still stuck on "packaged items"? The distribution centre in the Netherlands must be overwhelmed with orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I ordered Friday and haven't gotten a single update yet, although when I ordered it said 6-10 days.

Does anyone else remember having to input all of the info about your order onto the google sheet to calculate when your order was arriving for the 1st edition decks lol?

Anything less than 6 months and I'll be delighted. Altho I feel naked without mine!!

Are they still using GLS? September 2022 my 1st edition was out for delivery and the guy just left it on the doorstep. Didn't ring the bell or knock or make any attempt to let me know it was there. Luckily I was waiting around inside for it and checked. Otherwise my €600 device could quite easily have been noticed and taken. I was shocked.

I ordered Sunday and it's status moved from "Processed payment" to "Packaged items" yesterday.

Mine just got updates. It's been picked up by GLS and has left the parcel centre at 7pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

after trawling the net for ages turns out it’s an issue some are having with update 3.5.5. There a # missing from a line of code in a root file called “etc” that is preventing some users from mounting sd cards. Weird one. Only effecting some. Sorted anyway without needing to reformat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Video comparison between the normal OLED and the etched OLED which might be of interest to some

Goes through some nonsense angles, but there's a couple real world situations addressed in the video.

Long story short.......short of a direct comparison against the other supplier, BOE, the Samsung panels hold up really well for both glass types. Low light levels are handled really well, no major colour reproduction issues in nearly all light levels, reflections are still an issue etc, but doesn't take away from the quality of the new screen. All in all, everyone will be happy with both.

Ordered at 8pm on the 17th. Seeing some people who ordered in the UK/EU over the weekend getting dispatch emails but I've heard nothing, that's annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Can anyone recommend any guides to getting xcloud to work on the deck. I've looked up some but they seem to be variations on each other and not really sure which to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mine has left the Netherlands apparently, so hopefully will have it on Monday or Tuesday. Not sure what to do with my 256gb LCD one now, might just bring it down to CEX, can’t be arsed with all the hassle of adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

What's the lead time for delivery on a Steam Deck?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am not interested in the new deck as the dispaly size is no bigger than the last as makes a difference. I have used mine almost exclusively docked to a large TV. I am now trying to decide whether I should build a 7900XTX based Steam Machine or just get a Khun and hope my eyes can cope with a 10" screen.

You'll get 275 handy on adverts, or 215 in cex 2 days later. watch for scams or accs with no feedback.

• Advertisement

Website says 3-5 days but people who ordered the Thursday/Friday at launch are still waiting. I got a 6-10 day lead time for my Friday 8pm order, it only got picked up from the Netherlands warehouse yesterday.

Advertisement