Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Thanks for this, got it all working. I also got 'better xcloud' from GitHub which gives you a full 1080p on xcloud and also allows for local Xbox remote play through the edge browser including 360 games which isn't possible through the app as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Forgive my ignorance but when was it launched? Have one on a Christmas list so its passed me by till I seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The OLED launched last Thursday, the original LCD model has been available since late 2022/early 2023. You'd definitely have it for Christmas, I'd say delivery is around 2 weeks at the moment due to the increased orders for the new OLED model.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

OLED dropped in the door this morning. Valve still advertising it's a Deck on the box, which was a real source of ire especially in the US courier system. GLS of course over here tend to do a drop and ring the bell, so not ideal either but depends on the individual driver. Really need to get back to the signed delivery for valuable items that's all but disappeared since Covid, but that's a separate discussion.

Not had a chance to turn it on yet, but some end-user observations around some questionable build quality had me inspecting it fairly close. I know some have pointed out issues with the D-Pad, and triggers, compared to the original Decks, but looks OK here. Can't tell the difference, at least physically. Will probably end up leaving the drive the way it is despite upgrading others to 2TB. Little point installing some AAA big hitters for the sake of it when they just don't give a good experience.

Edit: Gave it a quick run. Screen looks great. Still a fairly low-res effort of course, but it's bright, has excellent clarity and its a massive step-up from the LCD, which is what we want. Even the dropping into desktop mode shows a massive increase in clarity. Too early to tell with the games of course, but I'd expect the reviews highlighting the extended battery life will be bang on. Main face buttons are a little different to the original. Somewhat 'looser' and don't feel as solid, probably midway between what a Deck and ROG Ally feels like. Trackpads have more feedback to them and probably feel a little rougher under touch. Fan about the same, but haven't really heard it under load - didn't think the original was bad anyway, so if they have improved it there should be no issues.

Post edited by McDermotX on

I think an awful lot of the issues were noted only on the LE decks. But be interested to see, hopefully mine arrives this week!

• Advertisement

Aye. I heard a lot of the dead pixel concerns were related to the LE models, but this early it's probably far too small a sample size to pin down any possible concerns. Could be some out there have BOE panels as opposed to Samsung, but there seems to be a mix of them across the three OLED models.

1TB model above is Samsung FWIW - 800x1280 @90.003892 (Samsung, OLED)

I must be in the minority I done zero customisation or emulation on mine, literally just plug and play. Didn’t do any of the ram fixes or cryoutilities and I had virtually no issues running games at all. Even unsupported games seem to run okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still waiting for mine here. Last update was that it left the Netherlands four days ago, starting to get a bit concerned.

In terms of the build quality, the Limited Edition BOE made panels are the ones with stuck pixels which won't effect us, then some complaints of the B button in particular sticking.

I got my LCD model in January and even then there was "regular" complaints of issue and this was a year after launch, I had no issues fortunately, just being an active Reddit user I saw daily posts with people having issues which are obviously a minority.

@[Deleted User] I never bothered with CryoUtilities or anything, I see people limiting TDP to 10w too as there's little performance gains over that but even then I don't fiddle with it. Just cap at 40fps for sweet spot of performance and battery. Apparently the 3.5 update brought some driver improvements to help performance so CryoUtilities is now redundant.@Zaph

Edit: apologies to whoever Zaph is, I tagged you by mistake and can't remove you for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Last time was the same, they left Netherlands and entered some kind of information black hole and there was nothing for 7 days, then one day they just arrived in Ireland and delivered to the house the next day.

• Advertisement

That's GLS for you. Think mine was shipped on the 20th/21st. Stuck on waiting for parcel until the 23rd and arrived in Ireland on the Friday (24th)

That last step was certainly quicker than before, but still had to wait until today to have it delivered.

They certainly have a habit of not updating their publicly viewable tracking, but to be fair to them, I've not had to chase after them in the past unlike some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Gls website not showing/loading tracking details since this morning lol. Hopefully comes today.been in the black hole for 5 days now.

I’m in the same boat. Left the Netherlands five days ago and nothing. Some good deals in the last few hours of the Steam Black Friday sale, picked up Doom for €4.

Playing amid evil currently with rtx on steamdeck at 60fps. Looks incredible.

Highly recommend for anyone that likes old school fps shooters.

We escaped the event horizon 😀

28/11/2023 22:02

The parcel has reached the parcel center.

Ireland

My last update was 3 days ago saying it’s shipped on steam but none of the links are now working. It’s on the void somewhere.

Mine landed just before 11. Dropped on the door step and drove off. Not so much as a ding ding. Luckily the camera pinged me and I could text the missus to bring it in.

Won't get to open it up till tomorrow now.

Can anyone share the tracking steps so I can get an idea? Last update is below, which is the Den Bosch NL warehouse. Does it go from there to Ireland or any stops in between?

The parcel has left the parcel center.

27 November, 3:44 PM

It won't change for 6-7 days. My last left the Netherlands centre update was on the 23rd, and I didn't get any update until 10pm last night when it landed in Ireland and then I had it this morning.

Mine’s been ‘out for delivery’ all day. Will probably be tomorrow now

• Advertisement

Mine did update to delivery once it arrived but I remember the time before it was just left out in the dark. Only reason I saw it was I was putting out the bins and found it behind the pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mine left the parcel centre in NL on Sat 25th and arrived into Dublin this evening, so 4 days to move through the network.

Surprisingly mine also arrived into Dublin, I guess they're shipping on certain days. Makes sense why delivery times are all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Just dropped my OG deck down the stairs, had to fix one of the analogue sticks but all in seems ok, Nearly had to make the OLED jump because of my own sheer stupidity.

Very impressed with how well built the device is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Sorry to detail the OLED talk but has anyone had issues with Heroic Games Launcher. It installed fine, downloaded some games from epic store and they start no problems but as soon as I try change any graphical setting the game crashes to black screen and I need to shut down the launcher to get going again.

Has anyone come across this or any ideas how to stop it happening?

I've never had luck with any of the launchers. I've found they work fine the first time but come back a week later and some update has caused it to break.

Just received my oled and the abxy buttons on the right side are very loose and rattle alot. Feels like a cheap controller.

Seems on Reddit others have the same issue. My 256 LCD does not have any issues so gonna have to rma it.

It does feel alot lighter in the hand for sure which is surprising considering it is only 20g or so .

Logged ticket with steam and will rma it .it's not good enough.

Will try again .

Thats fairly disappointing. Would you say it’s not playable with? It’s taking so long for mine to arrive I’m not sure I’d be happy to do an RMA as well. Still waiting here parcel left the centre 5 days ago. Ordered 11 working days ago. I’m hoping the OLEDs are better QC than the LE ones, the headphone hum for example wouldn’t bother me as I use wireless headphones or just the speakers. The buttons getting stuck would do my head in though, I’d probably just open it up and have a look before RMAing.

it might fix your issue if your happy to open it up and have a look, I’d certainly try it before RMAing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,837 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Have you opened many things before returning them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ugh, still no sign of mine. It had left the parcel center on the 25th, but that seems to have been updated to say it actually left the parcel center yesterday.

Hopefully it’s true this time and I can get it next week!

Advertisement