Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

This shouldn't be the solution, I can't install this on my work PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Attempt to search and filter all my posts within one thread - not functional.

Filter at first indicate 63 posts and its hyperlink. One would think - great i can see all MY posts(have i posted 63 times? don't know, perhaps), but no. going into it just give list of all comments(950+). I can use "find" on the browser, but this is pain - you have to go "next" and refresh "find" on each page

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Are email notifications coming back? When can we get to change our passwords again? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

You have to re-adjust your options under notifications

profile options don't seam to be up yet(if ever be) but you can go to direct url once you know it

https://boards.ie/profile/picture

https://boards.ie/profile/password

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

can that dark reader be applied only to Boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How do I find my followed threads on the Mobile version?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Here's an odd annoyance - page numbers not at top of thread.

See for example

I wanted to read latest post on last page. But had to scroll down first post which is long to get to page numbers.

On mobile.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tap your avatar in the top right, 4 icons should come up: a bell, an envelope, a star and a person. The star should show you followed threads if you click on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

some more gripes from me...

1. cant go beyond one first page of threads?? what is that about? made all the more stupid by the fact the search function is way worse than the previous poor version
    2. threads that are locked are not indicated as such on the front page. in the attached pic the "log cabin" thread is locked.. but theres no way of telling that (edit: FFS the image didnt even link!)
    3. the pic doesnt insert when leaving a comment, so youve no idea how the post looks until you post it.

edit:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I look forward to today’s one update a day where they tell us they have decided to open an alpaca farm and ignore all the feedback they have gotten since the sham of a relaunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

I’m browsing on safari on an iPad. When I click groups at the top of the page it goes to an empty page, when I search for the group I want it tells me it doesn’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I follow lotsnof forums, or I did. Can't follow them now.and can't see the ones I had subbed to so it's sorta useless I guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The change password option isn't on the desktop site Worz, or wasn't when I tried yesterday. It is on the mobile site and I was able to change it there in the Edit Profile bit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Jaysus lads, did ya not think of testing this before going live with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Roll it back lads. For the life of me I can't see what problem this new layout is solving for?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

what a waste of time. and scrolling seems forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• The staff have constantly complained about the old site being harder and harder to maintain because of its age and the customisations they've made over the years
    • They only have 1 dev on staff. This will presumably make their lives easier
    • Plans to "improve the value offered by subscribing" (or words to that effect) was quoted by Odhran in his first post - translation: they plan to try and monetise the site more

From a USER perspective though, it's a massively retrograde step as the feedback and significantly reduced traffic on previously extremely busy threads illustrates .. but that doesn't matter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'll forgive you for the flag...... this once only, mind! 😁

I had the same problem when I logged on this morning - saw the notification that you'd posted mentioning me, clicked into the post and read it - but when I went back to read the rest of the posts in the thread, I was brought straight to the last post, as if I'd read all the other ones already.

I had to scroll back page by page until I found a post I recognised, then scroll forward to find the first one I hadn't read, and continued on to the end of the thread. But...... no sign of @thesandeman's post ??!!!

So I went back two pages again, repeated the exercise, and on the second read-through, there were posts that hadn't been there the first time.

This is just waaaayyy too much like hard work.

I'm hoping the owners/devs are reading this because it's Monday morning - I've honestly been torn between frustration at how ridiculously difficult it is to use the site, and realising that it's new, and teething problems, and you're fixing stuff, and it might be great in the end - but I honestly can't see it, and I'm losing faith rapidly.

I've briefly clicked into the new defectors' site - and while I've no idea if it'll take off or ever become anything, my goodness it's an absolute pleasure to read, even as a non-subscriber. It has ALL the functionality you could want, is sharp and fast as a whip, and this is on something that seems to have been dreamt up overnight??? Or certainly in the time since boards came back - is that even a week yet??

How can that be???

Sorry for the lengthy rant, I didn't set out to do that, but honestly the frustration is just growing by the day 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And just to add to my post above, there are now even more posts showing from @thesandeman that weren't there on my first two read-throughs of the thread.

I logged on at about 9.30am, his (very unPC I know, but you do have man in your name!) posts are from around 4 or 5am, so why are they appearing only piecemeal on repeated readings of the thread???

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A few items that I've noted...

Desktop site:

• time of last post on home page is an hour behind the time of the post
    • the My Forums tab lists off some of my subscribed threads but not sure what sort order is used
    • At the top of a thread discussion page, there are two icons to the right of the thread title - one I believe is to follow the thread and the other I'm guessing is to receive email notifications. It is not intuitive though. There used to be a follow button at the bottom of the thread page. Its return would be good.
    • Did likes not carry over?

Mobile site:

• Navigation is desperate. I figured out what a lot of the links are but again, it's not intuitive.
    • Not sure why but the speed is critically slow.
    • The home page provides two views via a drop down - view all or following. Not sure why but the "following" option always gives me nothing.
    • Not sure what the purpose of the Activity or Best Of options are
    • Beside many threads, I get a cog icon. Clicking on this allows me to choose "Dismiss", "Ideation" or "Q&A" - what are these for?
    • There also appear to be a few housekeeping tasks to be done. The last viewed doesn't work. Am I expected to open the last post of thousands of threads in order to remove these from the new posts list?

I know what it's like to work on IT projects that have end users screaming at you. I think I have an undertanding of what you are aiming for with the upgrade and accept that it is a work in progress on a live system. Anyhow, ignore any ranting and view all feedback as being constructive: don't let it get to you personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

At least one Forum that worked prior to cutover no longer allows posts or comments. It appears to be in some side-pocket called 'New Forums'

is there some way to report outages like this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I understand it was a big undertaking and I really feel for the developer who's had to deal with this mess, but the site has become so much less usuable, more, I don't particularly want to use it as much as before. I've posted a bit and browsed a bit since the site came back, but I'm nowhere near as pushed as I was. That pretty much sums it up for me sad to say.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It seems not all my posts carried over. I assume this issue has been reported.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes you can leave every site normal and select “only boards.ie” using dark reader on desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

That should be at least 10 whingers moving on. All the best! Bye bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If they give me a free alpaca, all will be forgiven!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement