Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

While I do agree with you as the community here cares about the future of this site. Best of luck getting the community to stump up the funds needed to keep the lights on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Their was a time.

I could never understand what use to go on in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I wonder what's going to happen when the ⌚ changes 🤔.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This isn't worthy of its own thread, but as a matter of interest has anyone "reverse engineered" what's causing so many new posters to choose Feedback for their first, non-feedback related queries?

Is Google sending them here? There seems to be loads every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'd hazard a guess that anyone who signs up uses the "Talk to Boards" link and just goes from their. The categories and sub categories are not exactly foolproof and a bit cumbersome for some. Easier to post it in the help section.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I queried that ages ago - until they've verified their email address (which a lot seem strangely reluctant to do), that's one of the only forums they have access to to post in. Or it's one of the first ones that appears on their home page. Or something along those lines.

Basically until they have verified themselves they have very restricted posting rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That makes sense.

How do the spam bots bypass this though. I've seen multiple posts with random gibberish of people selling their wares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

When you click the New Discussion button on mobile, the Talk To forums are first in the list. I’d imagine that this contributes to it, especially for new users who never used a forum before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

search is still crap!

why aren't the wrong posts to feedback forum cleared out? you instituted the post requirement rule, clear out the off topic posts then...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@Shield does the vast majority of the housekeeping in the Feedback forum - a thankless job.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's a combination of two things.

The first and most central one is that the mobile new thread dialogue is fundamentally flawed. It presents the Talk To stuff with Help & Feedback at the top, and the reset of the categories can't be seen. Last time I checked there wasn't even a visible scroll bar to imply that there was more below. This simply funnels all the new mobile users into dumping random stuff in Help & Feedback. I've complained about this multiple times, but nothing has been done.

And this is combined with the fact a lot of them simply can't read or think about what they're doing. You can see how many have failed to also read the welcome email, or the popup about confirming their email address, or the forum title, forum charter, other thread titles etc. The announcement in Feedback about not posting random crap there literally takes up half the screen on mobile, and still doesn't get read.

The end result is the continual flood of junk that we're seeing.

The indirect result of new users not getting a response to the misplaced threads, is that they don't stick around and become regular users, something the site really can't afford to have happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

One of your category mods called me a retard in a thread days ago. I was given 30 day ban for responding and now cannot even start a thread about this in feedback. How can I be banned from highlighting this type of abuse becaause of their actions.

@unkel

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi there,

The best way to resolve this is to post here: https://www.boards.ie/categories/dispute-resolution, or alternatively contact a site admin. Feel free to PM to discuss further.

Mike,

Had the page format on mobile gone rogue for anyone else?

I'm not sure if it's the site or my phone - but my money would be on the site as nothing else seems to have changed on the phone. The page doesn't adjust to the screen properly

It's a bit too big for the screen, and when I try to shrink it, this happens....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Damien360

Are you using chrome on android ? Had the same but it's the zoom function in chrome for me. Click 3 dots on top right and about half way down is zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Quoting myself here - I praised only one mod.

I should also have credited @Spear for that work.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Why close threads and reward the trolls/self-indulgents flooding them? Wouldn't it be better to facilitating the people who want to post in a reasonable way and deleting the posts and thread banning of the trolls/self-indulgent?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The sudden scrolling upwards on mobile after 15-30 seconds of reading a thread is still happening.

Am I the only one being absolutely driven mad by this???

I must have reported it about 20 times now, there's the occasional "oh it's with Vanilla and being investigated" reply, and yet it's still happening.

If I prepare a template and post every time it happens to me, and clog this thread up completely, would that prompt some actual action on it?

Feedback has been pointless for at least 8 years at this stage.

Hi there,

I can understand your frustrations and I appreciate that it greatly affects your user experience on mobile. I have re-opened this ticket with Vanilla as I have had some additional information that may help them to resolve the issue.

Thank you for your patience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No biggie, but the notification symbol is not being cleared after I click on Mark All Read.

(Laptop, Windows)

Sudden scrolling isn’t only a Boards issue. I use iOS phone so don’t know behaviour on Android, but iOS has a built in very irritating auto-scrolling parameter on other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Where? i have not come across, not on desk anyway

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The notifications system on mobile, at least, is now not working at all. Old notifications fail to clear, and new ones not happening.

• Advertisement

Hey there,

This issue has been flagged and is being worked on.

Thanks for highlighting.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement