Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭sparky42

Air to Air… I thought they gave up using drogues? When was the last time they did this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Who's shooting air to air, and what are they shooting at/with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Ah lads come on, i put up as a joke i am sure its just a Typo in the article

Coveney speaking at the 1916 event yesterday:

The Defence Forces will be allocated thousands of extra staff and “significant” additional funding under plans due to be brought to Cabinet by the Minister for Defence Simon Coveney.

Speaking on Wednesday in the wake of another package of sanctions against Russia, Mr Coveney said the war in Ukraine had changed the context in terms of security.

“Next month, we’ll bring a memo to Government to significantly increase the resourcing of defence and security in Ireland. We have an evidence base to do that now, which is the Commission’s report on the Defence Forces. And, of course, we have an international context where every country in the European Union and beyond is looking at defence and security issues.

“As Minister for Foreign Affairs and Minister for Defence it’s my job to bring to Government a sensible, realistic memo

“But that is going to involve, in my view, and I hope I’ll get government agreement on it, a significant increase in resourcing for our Defence Forces.”

He said the Commission’s recommendation for thousands of extra staff would be a “starting point.”

In February the Commission put forward an intermediate proposal for funding , which would address urgent capability gaps and allow for some limited upgrades.

“I think the Commission’s report is a good piece of work. It sets out three levels of ambition and recommends that we move to level two of ambition which essentially is adding about 2000 extra people to the establishment of the Defence Forces and we’re 1,000 behind where we should be today so that means an extra three 3000 people and of course, it recommends investment in defence infrastructure to fill obvious capacity gaps that are there today,” Mr Coveney said.

“So that for me is the starting point and I’d be speaking to the party leaders and obviously to Minister Michael McGrath and Minister Paschal Donohoe in terms of planning for how we increase the financial resources to the defence sector significantly in the years ahead.

“But the commission, I think, is a good starting point, but don’t forget that the commission report was done before the war in Ukraine so I think the politics and the context within which we make this decision now is also different to when the work of the Commission began,” Mr Coveney said.

Mr Coveney was speaking to reporters after the annual State Ceremony at Arbour Hill to commemorate the Easter Rising, and the executed leaders of 1916 .

Speaking about the proposal by European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen for the 27-nation bloc to ban oil imports from Russia, Mr Coveney said it was a “big signal” to the Kremlin.

“First of all on the sanctions this is this is a welcome development. We have been pushing for some time now to have a sixth round of sanctions that has an oil embargo included in it. There was a difficulty getting that delivered and maintaining unity across the EU and they’ve now found a way of resolving that to allow Hungary and Slovakia effectively have an extended period of time because of their reliance on Russian oil,” he said.

“I think is a is a big signal, both to the Kremlin but also of the intentions of the EU to move away from any dependence at all on Russia and I think it further isolates Russia. It will increase the cost of course of the continuation of this war.”

“The whole point of sanctions is that is that they act as a deterrent,” he added.

Some 27,000 Ukrainians have come to Ireland to seek safety and Mr Coveney said “tens of thousands more potentially will come. We’re planning as a European Union for up to ten million refugees.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/defence-forces-will-get-thousands-of-extra-staff-under-plan-for-cabinet-coveney-says-1.4869556

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't disagree with Coveney's objectives here, but he's going to have to enable a serious reform of eligibility to allow for it.

We need to build a much more robust reserve, with professional and capability enhancing skills to offer the DF.

I'm a hugely experienced organiser and project manager and would very much like to be a reservist with something to offer to aspects like logistics and campaign planning. I'm 45, which currently rules me out for entry, yet I'm very physically fit, with perfect hearing and eyesight and so on and I know I could satisfy the basic military training element. This will become even more important for the area of cyber defence. Many people will have slaved in an early IT career, with no spare hours, yet now might be a bit older and wealthier of time and money and want to offer service now that they are able to. We have to make reserve service a backbone of the new DF, helping to put the DF at the heart of our communities again.

• Advertisement

If we are talking about adding 3000 just to get up to LoA2 levels let alone getting beyond that as you say something will have to give, I mean particular in areas such as Cyber, I don’t see how we get that expertise when you consider the competition from private industry. But there are plenty of examples of nations that we could replicate if there was the will to do so.

Interesting that our defence status is creating interest in such publications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Good to see him getting these ideas into the public domain instead of sweeping them under the carpet...

Seems to be a few reasons for that Jonny, he needs a personal win after a shaky few months earlier in the year. If he brings forward a hugely ambitious and historic plan to increase defence spending by 50% (at least) and it doesn't get through cabinet, he's in quite a bit of difficulty as a senior Minister.

He almost has to make the case become a fait accompli in its necessity as well as its ambition. And as much of that is outside the State, where EU and North American partners will be meeting other Irish politicians and saying 'I see you have some big plans to secure your own yard, we very much welcome that'

I’d say given how Martin has been talking up the ballpark figures that Coveney has FG/FF onside, it’s the Greens that might be a bit of a pain about things (not the first time), but yeah I’d imagine there’s plenty of international attention to the state of play here from both the rest of the EU nations and the likes of the US, hell apart from the Finns and Swedes joining NATO, seems even some in Switzerland are starting to talk about having a closer relationship with NATO.

Given our position and modern economy, I can’t see the old Status Quo being acceptable to our international partners.

• Advertisement

Indeed not. And if we can't guarantee protection for our energy and communications resources against malign intentions, I can't see it being acceptable to their investment communities either.

Because we no longer have the UK to help secure the massive EEZ we lay claim to on behalf of the EU, I would not be one bit surprised if the EU politely explained to us that without the means to protect it, we can give up any rights to it. And I'm not just talking about the fishing.

It's possible in theory, but as every bit of UK trade with its nearest and largest market, the European Union, is dependent, in perpetuity, on how it behaves vis-a-vis Ireland so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

That said, we still should have a constant air and sea presence in our EEZ, for many reasons besides covetous British eyes.

I would love to know how polls are so different only last week papers where quoting polls saying the people of this state were against a military type pact and now today its swung in favour according to a poll in the examiner

Because the voter is fickle, and polls are very subjective. The last few polls have come from a sample of just 1000, in a population of almost 4m.

Think also when was the last time you provided answers to a survey. Or rather, when did you tell them you were too busy to answer when they called.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I think Wallace, Daly, Murphy and Boyd Barrett only need to keep talking, and with mass graves being dug up and more harrowing stories of rape, torture and war crimes at the hands of Russian soldiers being published in this country, conditions for our getting serious about European defence and deterrence of aggression generally will change dramatically.

But maybe I'm being naive. I saw a comment online last year by an Irish person querying how it was possible that the CASA - repatriating Lithuanians on arrest warrants to Vilnius - was possible as being a neutral country prevents the Air Corps from touching down outside of the state, apparently.

From memory the polls results were against NATO involvement, more EU based defence cooperation has always polled higher than that of NATO.

Have they somehow missed the number of flights to and from the U.K. for example for medical transfers? Christ a huge chunk of Irish people have feck all clue about military/foreign affairs.

In some people mind neutrality is a magical fairy that removes all need for a military, absolves us of any overseas commitment, whether with the UN or others, and magically prevents all foreign militaries from setting foot on this fair green isle.

It's pretty remarkable how different the attitudes are to NATO versus some yet to be defined EU Common Defence Architecture.

But also, the polls really are inconsistent and its as much to do with context and how questions are framed. This poll being discussed today is centrally about attitudes to EU membership in Ireland, which has always been extremely high approval and positive disposal. If you follow up that with a question something like 'and would you be in favour of defending this institution of which you are so fond', you'd feel a bit of a hypocrite if you didn't answer in the affirmative.

As we head towards the inevitable Citizen's Assembly on Defence and Security of the State, its in everyone's interest to see far more consistent polling on the issue, set apart from any other issue, same questions each time, larger sample sizes and so on.

• Advertisement

Ok never mind Opition 3 from CoDF it looks like option No.10 msy be needed

only problem with his thinking is the english dont want the north at 1.5 Billion a month

You think that’s the only issue with the article? It’s nuts.

Paper never refuses ink, as they say, but the BelTel editor who decided to publish that needs his whole head deeply examined.

The most baseless, fanciful, fantasy Island article I've read in a so-called serious paper in a very long time.

The article has all the energy of a stoner arguement.

"who would win in a fight, Hulk 80s TV or Hulk MCU"

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mupper2

Tangential to fighters but... Interesting bit from COS Lt Gen Séan Clancy's piece in An Cosantóir he mentions work being done to acquire new helos. I can't post links, but pg6 of the new Air corps commemorative issue

Certainly is interesting alright.

But no doubt related to the VERY strong lobbying by the DF and the AC in particular to get back into SAR.

When Vice Admiral Mellett was Chief, naval investment was unprecedented, I guess we should expect no less for the first flyer as CoS. He is pushing something of an open door with the likely adoption of LoA 2.5 next month, but whether SAR will actually be part of the tasking of an expanded Air Corps remains to be seen.

The Commission were very strongly of the view that the Air 'Force" should be for military tasks, air defence, ground support, ISTAR and airlift. Arguably this being adopted makes an civil SAR return to the AC, less and not more likely.

Its wonder they dont order an extra EC135 and rotate the EC135s for the 112 role so they can free up the 139 fleet. It will be interesting with the upcoming HSE Munster based HEMS will the air corps pull the plug on Athlone and the HSE add a second contractor based out of the northmidlands

It is kind of ironic that we have one organisation using the A109, with great success in the HEMS role, and the EC135 is designed from the skids up to be a hems aircraft, yet we use the AW139 for that role. A heli that was bought for the intention of troop transport and other military utility purposes.

• Advertisement

Hulk smash Vs you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...

Advertisement