Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've never bought condoms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

theguzman wrote: »
    Crisp packets for the win

Tayto or King?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

bazza1 wrote: »
    Tayto or King?

Hula Hoop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oh .... and girl dumped me shortly after so didn't need them anyway.... ��
    If you still have them, give them to the OP - problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

gogo wrote: »
    This could of been me…. First year in college, working part time in a shop and a lad asked for johnnies, straight up from the country and thinking I was down with the lingo in Dublin, I got him 20 John Player Blue .. he rolled his eyes and said johnnies again, and I went back and got him 10 John player blue, him grumbling for ffs under his breath.. back and forth it went … until he roared at me that I was a f’in eejit.. ….. he was right to be fair

Well, he's the idiot who couldn't name what he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

If you still have them, give them to the OP - problem solved!

I bought them in 1992 when I lived in Wales ..... ill call my mum later and ask if she can locate the 3 and send them over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I bought them in 1992 when I lived in Wales ..... ill call my mum later and ask if she can locate the 3 and send them over.

they'd be well perished by now

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I don't mean to sound condescending but what's the big deal? They're just condoms. The person behind the checkout isn't going to give a damn. Having a sex life is hardly something unusual or embarrassing.

I throw condoms, lube and all sorts of stuff in with the weekly shopping. I really don't see the big deal.

You can't get decent lube in supermarkets though.

If you want to get reviews of condoms, check online.

It's not like a shop assistant is going to know much about them and depending on your physical specifications and several other aspects of your sex life, different brands and types may suit.

You can get a lot of larger sizes online, or even products like My Size which are graduated to fit different sizes.

It's shocking when you think how recently this stuff liberalised in Ireland though.

Contraception was illegal from 1935 until 1980 and only by prescription until 1985.
    Virgin Megastore got fined in court in Dublin for selling condoms in 1991!!!

It wasn't until 1993 that condoms could be sold in any shop in Ireland. 1993, not 1883..

Contraception was illegal from 1935 until 1980 and only by prescription until 1985.
    Virgin Megastore got fined in court in Dublin for selling condoms in 1991!!!

It wasn't until 1993 that condoms could be sold in any shop in Ireland. 1993, not 1883..
    It is sort of mind-boggling that there are people still alive, possibly even still working in professional jobs like the medical professions, who opposed the liberalisation of access to contraception.

They've obviously gone very quiet.

In 1993, which was also the height of another pandemic, the AIDS crisis, the then-Minister for Health (John O'Connell, died 2013) refused to consider permitting condoms to be sold in vending machines. He thought it would help society to "mature" if people had to go into a pharmacy and ask for a condom. This man was also a medical doctor during a pandemic. That is criminal.

In fairness to most of the current members of the Oireachtas whom I can think of, who were around back then (The President, the Taoiseach, Richard Bruton, Willie O'Dea, Charlie Flanagan etc), they were all pretty liberal on access to contraceptives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You can buy condoms in Dunnes and Tesco. Just get them there with your grocery shopping.

Lidl too. Dunno would I chance them though.

It is sort of mind-boggling that there are people still alive, possibly even still working in professional jobs like the medical professions, who opposed the liberalisation of access to contraception.

They've obviously gone very quiet.

In 1993, which was also the height of another pandemic, the AIDS crisis, the then-Minister for Health (John O'Connell, died 2013) refused to consider permitting condoms to be sold in vending machines. He thought it would help society to "mature" if people had to go into a pharmacy and ask for a condom. This man was also a medical doctor during a pandemic. That is criminal.

In fairness to most of the current members of the Oireachtas whom I can think of, who were around back then (The President, the Taoiseach, Richard Bruton, Willie O'Dea, Charlie Flanagan etc), they were all pretty liberal on access to contraceptives.

Maybe they should have to get them from a pharmacy or a shop. If people got used to buying them from real people maybe the embarrasment would die a death and threads like this would cease to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

One word. Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Is it really awkward or what? Do you ask the store assistants for advice on what condoms to buy or how does it work?

I wouldn't buy condoms. Steve Jobs bought loads of shares in latex companies and durex in the early 90s. Rumour has it he's alive in every single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Swaine wrote: »
    Buy them in Tesco and use self service checkout. No need to interact with anyone.

Enjoy your posh ****.

Buy them on Amazon. Durex are 30 cent a pop, instead of nearly a euro in a pharmacy.

Sex is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Buy them on Amazon. Durex are 30 cent a pop, instead of nearly a euro in a pharmacy.

Sex is expensive.

Having kids is more expensive. Exponentially so, worth the investment.

I used to be able to get them for free from collitch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Buy them in Tesco or Boots with the self checkout, bish bash!

I'd say OP wants to go beyond bashing the bish...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

jlm29 wrote: »
    Lidl too. Dunno would I chance them though.

It's probably the last thing you want to cheap out on....

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I always find Manix condoms an amusing brand. It sounds very much like a condom brand should in french, but in Ireland it just sounds like “Mannix’s Condoms”

Big brand in the rest of Europe, owned by same company that bought the Mates brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It always amuses me that the first place I saw johnnies on sale in Ireland was in Virgin Megastores near O'Connel bridge back in the day.

Beware the non-latex condoms for sensitive flesh, I find they break open extremely easily. Haven't handled one successfully yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Is it really awkward or what? Do you ask the store assistants for advice on what condoms to buy or how does it work?

Is this for "research"?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I throw condoms, lube and all sorts of stuff in with the weekly shopping.
    Aah shut up with your boasting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I haven't either

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

branie2 wrote: »
    I haven't either

And neither has Jack Nicholson, apparently, but it doesn't seem to have cramped his style
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/sex-secrets-of-jack-nicholson-99569/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Interesting facts there

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

Just tell them its your first time and they will go you sample pack to try in the fitting rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Dying here with the lols at some of the early replies

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well OP, if you do pluck up the courage to buy a pack of johnnies, be careful to avoid the approach of this nervous young lad. Lol :D

Anyone else remember this advert for Mates condoms? 30 years ago it first aired! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ask for croutons once and got lead to the toiletries aisle. I was confused for a minute until I saw the condoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

theguzman wrote: »
    Crisp packets for the win
    bazza1 wrote: »
    Tayto or King?
    Hula Hoop.
    It'd have to be Johnnie Onion Rings, surely?

411qC6-gguL._AC_.jpg

Advertisement