Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exorcist Sequel (Blumhouse)

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

According to boxofficemojo, finally total was 27 million, 45 worldwide so estimate wasn't far off.

Worth reminding that while the budget was about 30 million, Blumhouse paid 400 million for the rights to this - so that's a pretty terrible start if the expectation was audiences would flock to this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The director David Gordon-Green, won't be back from the sequel due to "other commitments"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha sure David, "other commitments". GTFO and go back to making díck joke comedies would you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As always, an infinitely better watch than the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wish DGG would go back to making low-key, thoughtful little indie movies :(

Rarely has a director’s career gone so wildly off the rails.

• Advertisement

I always enjoy RLM's ability to make jokes out of cuts & edits; I hadn't realised that the whole "we need all the religions!" [cos marketing says it's more inclusive] was something already used as a joke in the exorcist parody Repossessed. When you're over-earnest creative decision was something lampooned elsewhere as inherently stupid? Then it's time to step away.

WAit, he was? Cos all I've known him for was one of those tedious stoner, díck joke movies that usually starred Danny McBride.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, his career started with lovely, critically acclaimed arthouse gems like George Washington, All The Pretty Girls and Undertow. Even in his stone comedy phase he’d return to the indie well occasionally with the likes of Prince Avalanche and Joe.

Jeez, you're not kidding. That CV's all over the place to the extent if you grouped them tonally I'd presume they were from different directors.

Out of curiosity, anyone seeking out the original cos with all the faffing about over this film, I realised it's decades(!) since I even watched the original.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The original is up on BBC iPlayer if you've got access to it. I reckon I'll stick it on at the weekend, after a nose through this month's Sight & Sound - it has a big feature about the original which I'm looking forward to getting stuck into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Will be released on streaming on Oct 24 already!

Hard to believe he original is 50 years old this year!

Is it the theatrical release or the new version? The theatrical release is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sweet Jesus, it sounds even worse than I thought.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't know - weirdly, their listed runtime (115 min) doesn't coincide with either of the runtimes listed on Wikipedia (122 min theatrical, 132 min for the Director's Cut/The Version You've Never Seen). It's not a PAL/NTSC thing either as the numbers don't match - although my guess would be theatrical with a shortened credits sequence.

I stuck it on tonight and I think it must be some odd TV cut rather than either a pure Theatrical or Director's Cut. The uncensored version of the church desecration is shown, but there was no spiderwalk. I don't remember all the differences between the theatrical and director's cut but from the main differences in the 3rd act it's closer to the Theatrical...

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Went to see this yesterday (Exorcist:Believer). Have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm a massive fan of the original and was fully prepared for this being a bowl of wa*k but it was much better than the reviews would have you believe. The makers have clearly made an attempt to do something different with the franchise. It does follow the same template as the original (and the countless sequels/makeovers/imitations since) - innocent girls play with something they shouldn't, then slowly start acting out, then go full on EVIL - but there are quite a few nice original touches to make it worth seeing. Bringing Ellen Busrtyn back as Chris McNeil worked well I thought and there's another nice twist at the end for fans of the original film.

Supposedly this is the first of three follow ups to the original. Based on this I'd be looking forward to the next two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I had been looking forward to this. I have never seen a horror that was actually scary - at most a few like THE CONJURING have give me the creeps and I thought this would too.

it is surprisingly not scary but it is a bloody great story with top notch performances. The girls do an excellent job.

It takes too long to get to the actual possession though and it I couldn’t shake the feeling that there is a lot of scenes cut out. Like the ending - the way the police found the house and it didn’t seem like there was any consequences to to a dead child and and a priest with his head back to front. That might not be true but couldn’t shake it.

However, the story and performances are just great and I loved the message/moral of it - that division is bullshit, we are not so different and we have to work together. They went for meaning and not cheap thrills.

Saw it in an IMC because the times in other cinemas were too awkward and it is the last time I go to an IMC - the audio is always lifeless.

Hope these folks get to do another. I would like to see where they take it nexts

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Just having a quick read about the film. Apparently David Gordon Green has doubt on his participation in the sequels - I wonder if the poor reception of BELIEVER has the studio wanting a story that is different to what he has envisioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Wow, I thought this film would be better than the critics would have you believe, but it truly is a turd. The first third is ok, after that it goes downhill so fast I nearly got whiplash. It's not scary or tense or gripping in the slightest. Kudos for leaning into the camp elements of the original Exorcist though. I mean, duelling vapours? Really?

And DGG really knows how to ruin legacy characters and waste great actors like Anne Dowd and Ellen Burstyn.

Post edited by Space Dog on

• Advertisement

My god that film was as bad as, if not worse, than Exorcist 2.

What a pile of steaming crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My local Cineworld is barren. Barren, I tells ya.

Yeah, I'll be passing on this as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The next one drops April 5th 2024

The First Omen will be a prequel to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Is it a prequel to The Omen too? Or did they just run out of names?

I don't even know where to start with moaning with this 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

David Gordon Green is out, a new director is to be found. It has also been removed from the Universal 2025 calendar,which is itself not a great sign.

Advertisement