Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Exorcist Sequel (Blumhouse)

• 01-07-2021 3:02pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 27,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

This is news to me, and may have caused cold sweats in Mark Kermode (to name a fan) :D

Jason Blum & David Gordon Green are pairing up again to apparently take a stab at a "proper" Exorcist sequel. Like their Holloween films, this new film will apparently jettison and ignore the actual follow-ups to Exorcist - no great loss with II mind you.

Came up during an interview with Blum himself here below. I'll say one thing in Blum(house)'s favour; their reboots have been a cut above the rest and The Invisible Man was surprisingly excellent.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-exorcist-sequel-be-like-2018-halloween-reboot/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ mikhail

I haven't seen their Invisible Man, but DGG's Halloween was excellent. I'll keep an eye out for this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 27,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

mikhail wrote: »
    I haven't seen their Invisible Man, but DGG's Halloween was excellent. I'll keep an eye out for this.

I'm the opposite to yourself, and Invisible Man was excellent. It kinda went off the rails in the last act TBH - but up to that point? Hoo boy, the tension was fantastic and an easy nomination for best thriller of the last 10 years (it's debatable how many open scares it caused IMO, bar one fantastic one using a
    pot of paint
    ).

It was close cousin to something like It Follows; both protagonists constantly checking around their shoulder, never feeling safe. The way Leigh Whannell would just slowly pan the camera, just to get an otherwise innocuous, empty corner of a room in frame? Chef's kiss right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭ Skerries

Exorcist III was a great sequel and should remain canon

• Registered Users Posts: 56,363 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson

The TV series was great and they could do a lot worse than getting Ben Daniels from it to star in this and Blumhouse is a good production company to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,363 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson

Looks like a deal has been struck between Blumhouse and NBCUniversal/Peacock for $400m to make this a trilogy and original star Ellen Burstyn is to reprise her role from the original film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 27,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

$400 million? Yikes that's some money, even if it's spread over 3 movies (that in of itself is hugely presumptuous). It immediately makes me think this will be jump scares and 4 quadrant, franchise driven horror. My expectations just dropped a good bit

Advertisement