Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exorcist Sequel (Blumhouse)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah, 20 whatsit is worth another look. Been meaning to sit down to it myself again.

As for Deckard/Replicant malarkey, the way Villeneuve made it, there's nothing explicit saying he is or isn't. So if someone wants to go with Scott's tacked on idea, they can. If you want to look at Deckard as a human being, you can go with that too.

Villeneuve's 'Dune' isn't necessarily a "reboot", it's more just a remake. But, then again, when is something a reboot and when is it a remake?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Trick question in Dune's case, as a fresh adaptation of the original book it's neither a remake nor reboot :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think a bad sequel would have looked something like the Total Recall reboot; all flash and noise without an ounce of artistry. But with Scott not available, the hiring of Villeneuve was a masterstroke to ensure the sequel would look utterly gorgeous. There's a low-key argument that the best mainstream filmmaker to conjure a beautiful image is Villeneuve yet he doesn't really feature in conversations that much for some reason.

So, uh, The Exorcist sequel? LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I read somewhere recently that Blatty considers The Ninth Configuration a sequel to The Exorcist. Apparently a character appears in both films.

Is this true or is it an urban myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Regarding a good/decent sequel to a really old franchise/movie that worked, Psycho 2 came out 23 after the original. I haven't seen it yet myself but I've heard good things about it. Obviously it doesn't come close to the quality of the original but it is still a fairly good movie. It's on my watchlist.

• Advertisement

Yep, 'Psycho II' is a genuinely great sequel to a classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm guessing the first trailer didnt land so well so they have ramped up the link to the original film in the latest trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's a bit weird how I'm actively preferring the effects in the original. It's just very hard to achieve that feeling of the original. This just looks similar to every Conjuring movie with IP Pazuzu.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews are coming out...generally..not good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Looks sh1t! The blaxorcist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Going by the picture, maybe it's so scary he couldn't look... 😋

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, the degree to which Kermode worships the original, supposedly greatest Friedkin film[*], even if the this sequel sucks balls it never stood a chance with the good Doctor.

([*] the correct answer remains Sorcerer)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I never expected much from this given it's David Gordon Green.

His first Halloween was OK, but I thought Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends were comically awful.

Yeah it does...but er why does the casts race matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Variety..

Trots Out the Same Old Tropes, Minus the Dread

It's pretty much getting universally panned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Has there been any semi decent Exorcist since number 3? There's certain franchises that need to be put to bed at this stage.

3 wasn't all that great either.

The problem with Exorcist sequels, or exorcist films in general, is that the best one has already been made.

I was more being kind in relation to the nurse jump scare. The best has most definitely been made 50 years ago. I'd give a little credit to the first Conjuring movie for doing an entertaining take on the concept. But overall, imho exorcisms only really work as a small concept in a bigger movie. I can't really think of many uses of them that don't feel like an homage to The Exorcist.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Probably the most breathless review I’ve ever heard, literally.

So as I thought: Kermode's obsession for the Exorcist meant the review was more CinemaSins nitpicking than an actual opinion on the movie itself. Even Simon had a bit of a "sigh, here we go; just let him get it out" air about him.

Perhaps. But he's probably not wrong.

Now, I haven't seen this thing yet and I'm in no rush to do so either. But Kermode's rant reminded me of how I felt when I was watching David Gordon Green's 'Halloween'. Very much that he saw the original, but hadn't a clue what made it great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That's exactly the sort of reaction I'd expect from Kermode to (yet another) dull Exorcist franchise resurrection attempt.

I haven't seen DGG's Halloween trilogy because tbh these days I can't be arsed with most Halloween films except Carpenter's original. But Kermode's comments make me think that Greene's approach to The Exorcist is akin to Zack Snyder's approach to Watchmen - all surface-level "oh, that's a cool visual" and no deeper understanding of how or why things have been put together in the specific way that they are in the original material.

Oh for sure. His opinion is no outlier, the film is getting thumped but Kermode was never gonna enjoy this. The Exorcist is the film for him; not even sure I'd have something that beloved.

I think with these films it's always simply the inescapable foundational reality that you can't take a formerly scrappy indie flick that made it big, and recreate the no-fúcks-given energy while a studio hovers over you - or a fanboy too quick to show thr audience he knows the lines. Exorcist, Halloween, Terminator, RoboCop, Aliens, Predator, the list goes on and on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As far as I can see it's the only wide release in America this weekend, so think if might make absolute megabucks despite the critical slamming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I enjoyed the full Kermode review on Youtube, I'm still torn though on whether I should see this myself.

My long-awaited 4K BR version of The Exorcist is due to arrive tomorrow. I pre-ordered this on amazon months ago for when it was due to be released in mid-Sept. They must have seriously underestimated the demand for this release as it's been weeks of delays and normally they're very good on stuff like that. Hopefully will get to watch that this week.

Advertisement