Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Five a day ? Five slices of pizza :pac:

pfEnXNT.png

It's all confusing. Isn't the inner section of an apple the fruit and outer part excess? Trying to remember my undergraduate biology.

Five a day ? Five slices of pizza :pac:

]

She was involved with the New England Region school food initiative. Gave a speech in UL. Probably surprised a Paddy bring up old Ronnie policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

YFlyer wrote: »
    It's all confusing. Isn't the inner section of an apple the fruit and outer part excess? Trying to remember my undergraduate biology.
    It's very complicated, even more so when you bring drupes and pomes into the equation.

Alun wrote: »
    It's very complicated, even more so when you bring drupes and pomes into the equation.

Looks confusing indeed. The mesocrap is the fruit?

Not only Einstein not do fluid dynamics. He likely kept away from botany.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Is sugar as sweet as it was? I don’t think so.
    Two spoons in my coffee now.....before it was only one.
    They’re diluting sugar now father......

You're doing it wrong, rail a few lines of sugar and mainline the coffee. Let them mix somewhere inside you instead of in a cup/mug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A spoonful of it makes the medicine go down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Is sugar as sweet as it was? I don’t think so.
    Two spoons in my coffee now.....before it was only one.
    They’re diluting sugar now father......

Naw, the sugar hasn't changed. You have.
    Sugar is a highly addictive substance and just like any other addictive substance you've developed a tolerance to it. So you need more for the same response.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

I cut out sugar completely a few years ago. No processed sugar or natural sugar. Did it for a few months. A keto diet you could say.
    The cravings at the start were horrible. Withdrawal symptoms. But after a week or so they subsided. I was fairly overweight and the fat just started to melt away. I slept better and had a better mood.
    Need to do that again. Weight has crept up again. As someone pointed out earlier, sugar is poison. Delicious addictive poison.

There is a book called The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes. The Introduction is called Why Diabetes. It is frightening. In the past 100 years we have had a creeping silent epidemic that has caused far more mortality and morbidity than any of these flash fire pandemics that have everyone in a tizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

323 wrote: »
    Naw, the sugar hasn't changed. You have.
    Sugar is a highly addictive substance and just like any other addictive substance you've developed a tolerance to it. So you need more for the same response.

yep - said pretty much the same in my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Poison hahaha such hyperbole. Don't eat a tub of haribo and you'' be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    I cut out sugar completely a few years ago. No processed sugar or natural sugar. Did it for a few months. A keto diet you could say.
    The cravings at the start were horrible. Withdrawal symptoms. But after a week or so they subsided. I was fairly overweight and the fat just started to melt away. I slept better and had a better mood.
    Need to do that again. Weight has crept up again. As someone pointed out earlier, sugar is poison. Delicious addictive poison.

Did you cut out fruits etc?

I wish I had the will power to cut down on sugar (carb)... a day without some chocolate would be a foreign idea to me.. like, I don't eat too much of it but I know how bad it is for health (inflammation etc) so wish I wasn't so hooked on it.. and i eat tonnes of fruit (love bickies too) ....(i'm actually a bit underwt but i know I would feel better in general if I didn't consume it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

YFlyer wrote: »
    Had an argument with a US food scientist whether tomato was a fruit or veg. Reminded her that Reagan administration put tomato sauce as one of the five.

What has Reagan's policies to do with whether a Tomato is a fruit or a vegetable?

You really showed her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There is so much nonsense spouted about sugar. No it's not poison and no it's not addictive in it's own right. When was the last time you saw anyone eating spoonfuls of sugar straight out of the bowl???

Hyperpalatable processed foods and a lamentable lack of willpower from a large percentage of the population are the problem. There's a ratio of fat and sugar in combination that hits a sweet spot for people and that's what makes "treats" so tempting for many.

As people have pointed out, it's virtually impossible to cut out sugar completely, it's in practically every fruit and veg you can eat. But you don't need to cut it out completely because as I've said, it's not poison. Just cook everything from scratch and avoid the crap and you'll be fine.

sporina wrote: »
    yep - said pretty much the same in my post
    Indeed, sorry, hadn't got to there

isha wrote: »
    There is a book called The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes. The Introduction is called Why Diabetes. It is frightening. In the past 100 years we have had a creeping silent epidemic that has caused far more mortality and morbidity than any of these flash fire pandemics that have everyone in a tizzy.

Another sobering read, long before Taubes was "Pure, White and Deadly" (1972) by John Yudkin, in his time a prominent physiologist and professor of nutrition. Pretty much ended his career. Reprinted in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Diet, imo, isn't as important as the nutrition/fitness industry want us to believe. The problem we have in the anglosphere and the west generally(although less so in parts of Europe) is overeating and the idea that you always need to be munching on something all of the time. Foods high in sugar are bad for you in a way but more so in terms of quantity and the tendency for people to binge on them. In and of themselves there is nothing that bad about them. I've done all sorts of diets(I'm already lean, I just do it to experiment) and I can say I never felt better cutting out sugar and carbs. The best I ever felt was when I would order Dominos 3 times a week.

I've woken up and had organic vegetable smoothies and I can safely say I feel no better or worse after I have a McDonald's breakfast.

Another sobering read, long before Taubes was "Pure, White and Deadly" (1972) by John Yudkin, in his time a prominent physiologist and professor of nutrition. Pretty much ended his career. Reprinted in 2012.

Thanks. The career destroying attests to the power of the lobby.

Indeed, sorry, hadn't got to there

gee no need to apologise - good minds think alike :)

• Advertisement

Mimon wrote: »
    What has Reagan's policies to do with whether a Tomato is a fruit or a vegetable?

You really showed her :rolleyes:

I mentioned to her about Reagan administration using tomato sauce as their school diet 5 a day fruit requirement. She said it is a vegetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There is so much nonsense spouted about sugar. No it's not poison and no it's not addictive in it's own right. When was the last time you saw anyone eating spoonfuls of sugar straight out of the bowl???

Hyperpalatable processed foods and a lamentable lack of willpower from a large percentage of the population are the problem. There's a ratio of fat and sugar in combination that hits a sweet spot for people and that's what makes "treats" so tempting for many.

As people have pointed out, it's virtually impossible to cut out sugar completely, it's in practically every fruit and veg you can eat. But you don't need to cut it out completely because as I've said, it's not poison. Just cook everything from scratch and avoid the crap and you'll be fine.

A 15 year Harvard study would disagree with you, added sugar is most definitely poison.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/the-sweet-danger-of-sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A 15 year Harvard study would disagree with you, added sugar is most definitely poison.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/the-sweet-danger-of-sugar

Literally nowhere in that article is the word poison mentioned.

Plenty of substances are dangerous or even lethal in large quantities - ever heard of water intoxication? But nobody ever claims water is a poison. As I said, there's an *awful* lot of overblown nonsense spouted about sugar.

Of course large amounts of added sugar are bad for you - everyone knows that, I said myself in my post that people should cut out crap and cook from scratch. But scare-mongering and throwing clickbaity catchphrases around the place really isn't adding anything to the discussion.

Advertisement