Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If she didn't buy that ticket maybe it would have been bought by a fan from Poland whose flight to London would emit more co2.

We know you'd prefer she cycled to Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe someone who hopes that the generation having a ball at Slane right now will have a habitable planet when they get to our age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We need to keep using up the oil, if we leave it under ground it is very likely it will ignite and cause an explosion, and blow up the entire world. Only people who will survive this explosion are those lucky to be high up in the sky flying in planes.

Let me know if you’re ready for an adult discussion anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Try keep the conversation about Slane and keep the climate shite for another thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

83.5k at the gig according to Slane Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Some **** weirdos the last few pages my god.

Dropped and waiting to collect 4 from the gig - green car park. Went golfing to pass time.

Traffic absolutely vile and have a drive to Clare when they make it back to the car. Painful, painful experience. Just hope they all sleep tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jonnreeks

Harry Styles

What time does Harry Styles take the stage in Slane Castle Estate tonight Saturday, 10th June 2023 on his Love On Tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

11am tomorrow morning after Sunday mass and a dirty breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Disastrous gig. Disastrous organisation. Disastrous day. And I was in the VIP area!

Also very surprised to see Annie Mac giving it large on the Slane stage today after pulling out of her headline London show last night on the grounds of "flu".

And what was that with two minutes sudden silence and a black screen in the middle of Harry's set?

Any cranks who poured scorn on this last year - you were right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭HBC08

I wasn't there,

You've little to be complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Fantastic gig, probably the least obnoxiously drunk crowd I've seen at slane

Fair play Harry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Xander10

If that was the case, I wouldn't have gone in the first instance.

Fine for 3Arena.

Completely wrong act for the magnitude of Slane.

And on the subject of age - an awful lot there in late 50s and 60s and no kids in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Xander10

Post edited by Xander10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭Fanirish

This whole sanctity of Slane is getting ridiculous.

it’s a field in Meath.

end of the day it’s a venue for acts that can sell 80,000, which he can do.

rock music is no longer the dominant music genre it once was and it’s not creating acts that do the business like Harry styles.

so naturally Slane is going to adapt to what is popular.

his fans seemed to enjoy it from what I heard.

None of that changes anything. It was a poor concert in the wrong venue.

His last album is excellent with a good concept behind it. I thought when I heard he was playing Slane, he'd have a show with the creativity and set design to match the size of the venue. That didnt happen. There was also some technical cock up midway when everything suddenly stopped for two minutes with no one on stage, nothing on the screens and no music with everyone firstly saying "WTF" then chanting Ole Ole. No explanation when the show started again. Acoustics and speaker placement were also poor.

Not Harry's fault but lots of women puking/crying and older professional types on free passes doing embarrassing dad dances.

I appreciate the rock acts are fading out but the thinner pop material doesn't have the aural firepower for Slane.

Despite the above it is whether you like or not a special venue. It can carry stadium shows larger than average and is a beautiful setting. Go to the Glastonbury thread and post your comment about it just being 'a field" and see what reaction you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Sounds like you didn't enjoy yourself and spent the night judging people. Not a good look. People had fun at Harry Styles, I wouldn't be a fan but no point begrudging anyone a good night.

Oh no, surely not dad dancing at a gig!! You ok, hun?

• Advertisement
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

You sound like fun to go to a concert with 😁.

You sound entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Lots of puking? So nothings changed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭No Bills

The pauses in the middle of the show were to allow help to be given to some fans who got into difficulty near the stage.

Getting out of the car park was a nightmare. Not home to Dublin until 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The important thing: Did most of the crowd enjoy the gig? Not everyone is. Not everyone is going to like the crowd or the venue. Open-air gigs in Ireland does tend to bring out the worst in us. People drink too much, get narky. We're our own worst enemy. Slane is a good venue but it's a total pain in the hole getting there and back.

It's a good venue but it's still just a concert venue. It's not hallowed ground. The same old sh*te is trotted out each year at Glastonbury: Remember when they said Jay-Z wasn't suitable for Glastonbury? "Oh, Glasto's a rock festival. He has no place". Pure and utter BS. They are gonna put on the act that they think will sell it out and they'd be right to.

If Zeppelin announced they were touring with Pearl Jam as support but only 40K would go to see them at Slane but 80K would go to see.... uh.... let's say, Lizzo, then they'd book Lizzo. It's a business.

So, did the core demographic enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I'm not a fan of Harry Styles but he is that kind of unthreatening musician who plays safe music that pulls in the masses. That's why his popularity is not a mystery. I don't know how anyone could go to a huge pop concert and then complain that it's a huge pop concert

Slane is actually smaller than Wembley where he played multiple nights and it was the same stage set up with the massive screens and walk way.

Slane is actually more restrictive for fancy bells and whistles than a stadium like Wembley or croke park.

not sure what you mean by creativity? His live show and his music is very MOR/Peter Gabriel influenced. He is hardly going to have dancers and come out on a tank like beyonce.

why does he need to explain a technical mess up? I think anyone could tell that something briefly messed up. He is hardly going to long rant about about a mixing desk mix up or whatever it was.

slane is a field with a stage built for people to show up to see 3 or 4 acts and then leave after a few hours on-site. Not saying it can’t be a memorable/enjoyable experience but this whole sanctity nonsense that goes on is just a bit overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

Calling it a field with a stage is a bit incongruous. There is something about the place it's like being in Croke Park on All Ireland Hurling final day when the sun is out.

I'd love it if Mount Charles did something brave like put on a show of contemporary Irish bands. Fontaines DC, Gilla Band, Pillow Queens with Pixies, Boygenius, The Cure. 30/40,000 attendance would help alleviate the traffic and other logistical problems.

The responses on here. Last year when I said on this forum I was going to this and looking forward, I got slammed for being the type of punter allowing concert standards to slip.

I mean more a sanctity about it being solely for “rock” music and that anything else being played there is affront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Slane built up a reputation for years as a rock venue but I'm afraid they lost that once they booked Madonna I think in 2006.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement