Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,161 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

U2 the most likely to headline another Slane but depends on the type of show there touring at the time

Who knows about the likes of Metallica, GNR (the buzz has definitely fizzled out on the reunion at this point), RHCP and The Rolling Stones

Ed Sheeran must be high up the table if Harry Styles can do it. Garth Brooks maybe but he's more of a 'Stadium act'

The likes of Aerosmith playing Slane sounds better on paper than it might be business wise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The 1975 are a poor man's courteeners. Bands like the Courteeners, Hard Fi etc, packed it in and then reformed a few years later.

The 1975 had moderate success in the absence of any real bands post 2010 as most competitors packed it in, but when the likes of Kasabian and Blur reformed they were completely overshadowed

They're a nice band, but pale in comparison to the likes of Bloc Party, Razorlight, Keane, Libertines, Killers, Franz Ferdinand etc. And they all defer to Blur, Snow Patrol in Oxegen 09 literally made way for Blur to headline the festival. There's levels to this.

Blur overshadow everything, it's the most important gig of the summer, and it's a warm up gig for them.

Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Jefferson Airplane, The Clash, Joy Division, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Verve, Pulp, Supergrass, Travis, Stereophonics, Keane, Libertines, Franz Ferdinand etc. Blur were bigger in the UK market.

The only band left who can sell Slane is Blur, that's the bottom line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Your bottom line is wrong. We all get it though. You're a massive Blur fan.

Look, I like Blur and I love a good Slane gig (I've been five times)...but if Blur were announced, I'd be completely underwhelmed. It would take an amazing supporting line up to get me there.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Sheeran and brooks are aiken acts, Slane is an MCD operation. You’ll never see them at it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Blur wouldn’t sell 50% of Slane right now

the 1975 would outsell them easily,

in terms of booking decisions it’s not even a debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Some weather for Slane though !!

reminds me of the weather for PJ and Nel Young there in 93 .....

Ahhhh .... those were the days .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I reckon Coldplay would be very good at slane

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

We are agreed if the likes of KISS, Ozzy Osbourne, Eric Clapton, Deep Purple And a few other classic rock/metal acts were on the ticket, it would sell out Slane.

Maybe have the likes of the National concert orchestra as the warm up getting everyone in the mood earlier in the day.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭HBC08

They were in their holes!

They played Bittersweet Symphony twice,I've never heard of that at a gig before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t remember them playing it twice. And never heard anyone make that claim before. They would have played it at the very end. Were you getting that from??

I’ve been to Slane for REM, the verve, U2 and RHCP. All were fantastic concerts but if I had to rate them I’d put them in the order REM, U2, verve, RHCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Going back to the excellent point about no bands emerging and venues relying on the usual older bands.

I think another thing to consider is that as the fanbase of a band gets older, they will be less inclined to trek to Slane. Its a lot easier for people in the 40's, 50's and 60's to go to a gig in Dublin and stay over as opposed to camping for 2 nights in Slane or taking on driving or getting the bus.

People on this forum as gig fans and are not representative of the masses.

eveb Bruce Springsteen would have trouble convincing his audience to trek to Slane at this point

I'm getting that from being at the gig.

They played a 15 min outro of it at the end aswell as having it in their main set.

That was 98 and the Slane before that was 95 on a cracking day with REM and Oasis.Comparsions were obviously going to be made and there was a massive difference in those gigs,.I say this as a fan of the Verve,they were nowhere near big enough to headline the first Slane in 3 years and it showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I wonder would Beyonce attract the numbers for Slane. Her show is big enough visually and acoustically for that stage. I was surprised she didn't come to Dublin on the current tour.

No way would The 1975 sell out Slane. They hardly sold out St Annes Park earlier in the week let alone Slane.

I'm very old and decrepit but heading to this tomorrow. Taking the car though!

Beyonce would sell out multiple nights in Slane. Production wise she is only doing stadiums though not open fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭redhill

Anyone know how far up the Collon Rd the Blue car park is, is it far past the Garage at top of hill??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 louiser21

Anybody know how long the walk is to and from the roadstone bus park ? Its the red route tomorrow is my first time at slane

• Registered Users Posts: 16 louiser21

And for circle standing can you go in and out through a different route or do you have to constantly walk through general admission

If i remember correctly done it for Metallica a few years back. It's about 15-20 min walk and beware can be dark on the way back

you won't feel it walking with the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I see Annie Mac has pulled out of one of her own gigs tonite in the UK due to illness. I imagine it's unlikely now she'll be doing DJ support tomorrow as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Midlands2007

First time to Slane and bringing teens. Not expecting to get closeup but will we get any view of stage in crowd?

Yeah it’s a bowl, stage has massive screens as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why was todays date picked, just a week into the leaving cert where a lot of the audience will be part of. Lol too how the hot spell ends right before today!!

Safe and enjoyable day for all going

Don't envy ye

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weather forecast said it wouldn't drop below 14c overnight tonight, so I don't think the hot spell has ended. There's a chance of some heavy showers, but they could escape it entirely too.

It’s called logistics and routing a tour.

juggling 100 different factors in planning out a tour route to match venue availability across europe and ensuring that Slane was on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,640 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Because every outdoor show in Ireland has to be in the first 2 weeks of June it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭klose

Because Harry Styles isn't concerned with wether or not the leaving cert is on this weekend during his world Tour obviously. To get a big name to play a weekend slot in Ireland is a rarity, usually get the midweek scraps off big name artists.

Advertisement