Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SteM

Of course Bryan Adams' genre is 'rock'. He got his first real six string in the summer of '69 ffs. His fingers have never been the same since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m struggling to think of a band that would fill slane now. It’s all pop stars I think.

U2 still would of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Wyld Stallyns would rock Slane to its ruins. Party on totally bodacious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

Coldplay would also fill it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I was at Wembley for the Taylor Hawkins concert last year. I was up in the stands (Keane would hate me, was stuck up amongst the "Prawn Cocktails" section 😀) Sound was good there. Certanly better than other stadiums (Stadia?) I've been to.

Rammstein(with or without row 0), AC/DC, Metallica, foo fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

AC/DC is the act they need

• Advertisement

The muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Don't forget that there's a lot of people who'll go to Slane for the experience and the day out. Even if they know one or two songs only it doesn't matter, it's not just die hard fans who go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Metallica did a couple of years ago, 2019 it was. And they probably would fill it again, I know I’d go a second time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

AC/DC I think would fill it... and get some solid support acts too. (If I ever go again, it shouldn't be just for the headline act...)

I was looking there on Wikipedia on previous Slanes' and you see some of the headline acts were fantastic, but there was real quality and well known support acts too..

in 83 U2 were supported by Simple Minds & Eurythmics

in 84 Dylan was supported by Santana and UB40 (Santana FFS!!)

in 92 Guns n Roses were supported by Faith No More (who according to my brother and anyone else that was there absolutely blew GnR off the stage..)

in 93, Neil Young was supported by Pearl Jam, Van Morrison, Saw Doctors, James, 4 non Blondes... (what a line up)

in 95 REM supported by Oasis

in 98 (my 1st Slane) The Verve supported by the Manic Street Preachers, Finley \Quaye and Robbie Williams

in 03 the Chili's supported by Foo Fighters and QOTSA!!, and PJ Harvey/Feeder/Morcheeba (another epic line up)

in 07 (my 2nd and last Slane) the Stones supported by the Charlatans, and Tinariwen (who cruelly had the volume turned right down for their set)

09 Oasis supported by the Prodigy & Kasabian

11 Kings of Leon (not my cup of tea) supported by Elbow

15 Foo Fighters supported by Kaiser Chiefs, Ash, Hozier & The Strypes

You can't just trek all the way to Slane for a headline act... it needs to be a day long festival of top acts. If it's only a headline act you might as well seem them in Croke Park, Landsdowne Road, Marley/St.Annes Park, Malahide Castle etc... If ever I'll go to Slane again it needs to be really worth it, and for me worth it would be at least 3 acts I'd like to see.

Off the top of my head my 'dream' lineup for Slane would be;

Headline: AC/DC

Support Acts: Arcade Fire (though not not sure if too big to be support or not big enough to headline, and probably wouldn't fit with my headline & other support acts), Jack White, Royal Blood

and then maybe 1-2 more fairly well known bands

(my other dream line up would be Rage Against the Machine, supported by whoever the fcuk would have the balls to share the same stage with them)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭klose

People saying it can only be pop stars that can fill slane these days but I was at foo fighters/guns n roses & Metallica and it was pretty full those times, guns n roses and foos have played Ireland since but Metallica would definitely sell it again, they're literally playing two shows a couple days apart in European cities at the moment for example.

The obvious ones like AC/DC, an oasis reunion would sell it.

You could do a more big bill instead of a mega headliner that would do well I think. Soemthing like a Foo Fighters/QOTSA/faith no more kind of billing.

Maybe a Nu-Metal type billing, SOAD/Deftones/Korn could do well too I think, bill it as a one day festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Taylor Swift bigger than Coldplay, lol no she isn't.

Coldplay are by far the biggest draw in the World at the moment, 10 nights in Buenos Aires, 6 in Wembley, and they could have probably sold another 4 in each such is the clamour for them.

Seemingly Coldplays management were in Slane on Saturday and told a few people I know to keep an eye on next July for an Irish date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Much of a muchness as both Taylor and Coldplay setups aren’t open field/bowl friendly. Stadiums being used for those tours for a purpose

Yeah I sorta agree with u there. For some reason Taylor Swift isn’t as huge in Ireland as she is in America. I was at her Croke Park gig and it wasn’t even sold out. Coldplay would be a great headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Kilteragh

I was at 92 GnR. Faith no More were very disappointing and were imploring the crowd to get involved.

Speaking of groups who have recently had trouble interacting with crowds Royal Blood supported GnR in 2017. They were very good that day though.

KOL also had Thin Lizzy supporting and while it obviously wasn't the same without Phil it was great to have Scott Gorham on guitar and they rocked the place. Elbow were fairly run of the mill.

I agree with your point about the support groups. The Foo Fighters support were great. Almost made up for the torrential rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,993 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The support lineup for Metallica was grand but maybe would of been better if someone like 'Therapy' played instead of 'Stiff Little Fingers' (who were decent but was a bit of a lull)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ghost were phenomenal before metallica.

I was at Slane this past weekend, my 5th time there, 3rd time camping. it was my first time there as an old fart father, taking my 2 girls to see mr styles.

The camping was much quieter than previous years (slane farm hostel) , and while the weather played a part, it was a much more enjoyable experience, with the loos being kept well clean - also , no one peeing or pooping in the woods!, and no major queues if you want a bit of grub.

Its still one of my favorite venues ever, but that only applies if you're camping, otherwise its far too much of a bottleneck / too much walking to work properly.

Hopefully it'll skew to a more rock or metal focus next time, but the girls had a great experience , and thats the most important thing at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ah come on

the eras tour is the biggest tour on the planet, Coldplay are very good and will sell Slane out, but Swift would do it in minutes

I did think we might get a week before the “Coldplay are playing Slane” rumours though

coldplay have sold over 4.5m tickets for their current tour so far. Taylor has sold 2.4m for USA portion so far.

beyonce tour will only reach about 3m tickets sold when it ends

Hard to deny that Coldplay isn’t biggest tour out there right now

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did Coldplay not say they’d never play in Ireland again because someone threw something at one of them during their last run of gigs here?

Ill be honest and say I would not miss them because they are not my thing at all…

Nah never said. Guitarist got skulled with water bottle in 2017 at the show here.

realistically Coldplay europe tour this summer is June/July. There is no availability in croke park to host them with the new GAA schedule as matches every weekend or every other weekend throughout those months.

you can’t play here if no venue available

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Coldplay would have much broader appeal but but they're both amongst the biggest acts right now who can do stadium tours.

TS demographic is mostly young women but Coldplay are liked by all types.

I'm surprised Harry Styles is so big but I guess he has that Elvis type sex appeal.

harry styles is an absolute superstar. I don’t have much interest in that kind of music but I’d totally go see him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Receipts for Coldplay are understandably higher, given that - to date - they're slated to do more shows than Taylor Swift and Beyoncé combined.

Beyoncé has generated two thirds of the Coldplay takings with less than half their number of concerts.

I'm not suggesting she has the same universal appeal, but the box office ratio is better.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement