Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Can you read get your facts right do not accuse somebody when they did not appoint him he stood down everybody knew that match against limerick he did not handle himself well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

I don't remember Limerick backs following opposition fowards into midfield and beyond.Thats not to say they won't follow mullen Sunday.Nash and co have a licence to get foward but generally we know the way they set up and what they do. If you look at Flanagan and particularly gillanes points the last day they're nearly all the same. Byrnes or whoever with a lovely weighted ball into space and a swivel and turn over the bar.its very hard to defend against this. If you take a chance and mark gillane from the front he's very good at slipping in behind the defender and snatching it at the last second.

Mullen to his credit put in some shift the last day and covered every inch of the pitch and was very hard to pin down. He's being very accurate from distance and will hopefully pose a few questions to this Limerick defence.

While we wouldn't score what byrnes would score from distance deegan got a few points in the leinster final and we got a plenty of long range scores the last day. Its when these long range ones go wide is the problem.We'll need a plan for byrnes and try get them running towards their own goals?we need to make the middle 3rd as chaotic as we can. I do agree with you that We'll need much much more from mossy and Billy Ryan.Mike casey got caught out with the long ball the last day,they're much more used to the ball being played through the lines. We need to be much more tuned into their puckouts because nickey quaid has brought it to another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭blackcard

Have any season ticket holders got their tickets yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Got mine last week season ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Let's put this 4 in a row nonsense to bed.

Limerick have been awesome in 2020 and 2021 no question.

But they lost 3 of their 6 matches in 2019 and only qualified out of Munster on a better scoring difference. You cannot possibly be talking about "should have won an All Ireland" with a team that were in fact beaten in the Championship three times the year in question.

And while they deserved their win in 2018, they were beaten twice in Munster and scraped out in 3rd place, could easily have been beaten in quarter, should have been beaten in semi and would have been beaten in final if it had gone on another minute. Almost everyone was delighted they had finally won so no one brought up the fact they (finally and deservedly) got big dollops of luck all the way. So let's stop the codsawllop about "should be going for 5"

If they were a bit unlucky with call that should have been a 65 in 2019, they were very lucky in 2018 with free not given on Donnelly in injury time in 2018, the Harnedy miss in semi and Canning's miss with last puck in final. Swings and roundabouts but on balance Limerick should be glad to have won three of the last four and not whinging it should have been all four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Good to hear yeve all learned from yer own drive for five drivel!

Dont be giving me the hard luck/line ball/ Quaid flick rubbish. Fact is limericks legitimacy against the great kk team will only be measured by beating tipp and/or kk in an all Ireland final. Kk beat em in 19 and they haven't met since in champo. This is the one they will want to set the record straight and to put beating the likes of Westmeath, laois and Dublin into perspective for ye.

And yes the u20 champo is tainted as the best players can't play for their under 20 teams. No kk fault... Just another fact.

Scorching weather of high 20s now likely for Sunday.

Might the really big units in Limerick struggle in that sort of heat? Or is that wishful Kilkenny thinking?

I can never recall an AI final played in 27/28 degree heat so no question it's going to be a big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Who do you actually support or did you just set up an account to specifically troll this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

yes, closing date was last friday, you haven't missed the email? :(

No. Never got an email, I was checking every day

• Advertisement

did you opt out of more than one game? wont qualify for ticket if so

email address is tickets@gaa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Whatever about the whole hurl /hurley debate..anyone that says champo should not be let into a gaa ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Rosita

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

Without having a go at Limerick or anything, it might also be worth pointing out that they won 2 all Irelands within 7-8 months of each other. Not their fault of course as COVID dictated this but it certainly made it a lot easier than the traditional 12 months apart.

Birchfield, get a life. We won the U20s fair and square. The players missing on all of those teams would not have made much difference anyway. All teams knew the rules(which I don't agree with btw) so they cannot complain.

I imagine that Kilkenny will line up as per the semifinal. If Conor Fogarty and John Donnelly are ruled out, Walter Walsh will be first sub in the forwards, followed by Alan Murphy and Richie Hogan. Richie Leahy will be the first sub in midfield whilst David Blanchfield and Conor Fogarty would be the order of substitutes in the backs. Not sure who would be added to the substitutes if John Donnelly is ruled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭KK36

Delaney at the back i assume he meant. Buckley and Maher aren't going too well, there's not a whole lot on the bench if Fogarty and Donnelly are out. I would hope the back lines are left as they were

I think bench use is now going to be massive with the weather likely to be very hot

I'd use Donnelly, Maher and Hogan.

If Limerick are tiring, shooting accuarcy will be vital to capitalise and all 3 of those are good shooters.

I think too much is being made of Limerick bench, no disrespect but if their bench is that good, why is Mulcahy conssitently starting, he's made very little impact in recent seasons?

On tickets, the vibe I'm getting is that there are plenty about and some will even go on open sale in next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Suppose teams won't be announced til Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Perhaps that recently registered poster didn't read previous posts re under 20s. Just a reminder, Kilkenny were missing 3 definite starters through injury.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭KK36

Quiet buildup to the AI final. Maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Butterbeans

I don't think it'll make a huge difference to how Limerick approach this with Cian Lynch having been out all Championship, bar 15 mins the last day, but he is a loss, serious hurler.

Great to have Fogarty back in the mix. Whether he starts or not, we'll need him

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Butterbeans

Definitely feels that way. Possibly many like myself who believe if we're on form on Sunday, we're in with a great chance. A quiet confidence but still staring at a huge task in front of the team.

And probably the lingerings of '16 and '19 in the background, where we were favoured more than we are this year.

I'll take a quiet buildup over none any year 🙂

True enough. There's hope but a bit of fear of what Limerick at full tilt could do.

It being mid July, the first year of the new format, could be some of it too.

When you think of growing up in the 80s and 90s, this was Leinster final week! I associate the evenings pulling in, blackberries, back to school with the hurling All ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,692 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You do understand how Kilkenny got out of Leinster this year I assume.

I believe Tipp were the best team that year and bad decisions from ref usually balance out so I've never been into the 4 in a row thing but it's still gas to use the round robin as a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Just one thing on the Limerick line ball that should have been a 65 in 2019. I remember clearly thinking at the time that the line ball should have been a Kilkenny ball as it clearly went out off a Limerick player, I wasnt the only one either, plenty of people said it was a kilkenny ball and that if limerick had gotten a draw from the 65 it would have been a bad call. I dont have the game to hand but if anyone could be bothered who has it taped maybe they could look it up. Also as a critic of Brian Cody here in the past I want to say that the way he had the team hurling for the semi final was a revelation and I just did not think he would listen to anyone on the modern style of playing hurling. Whatever happened between the wexford game and the semi final is fantastic and I would like to wish him and the team the very best on Sunday. We might sneak a close game and if we lose Im still delighted the way things are looking up on the variation in our hurling. They wont get hockeyed like Cork last year thats one thing you can be sure of with a Cody team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Advertisement