Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I would be interested in hearing the opinion of boards members who have direct experience of conflict (jmreire) - Is this military guy making sense, or is this just Russia propaganda ? I only just watched one of the videos, and I am not sure of the integrity of the channel..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6NVmhOqmCM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

One statistic now being circulated came courtesy of The New York Times, citing unnamed U.S. and European officials. In the first two weeks of Ukraine’s campaign, the newspaper reported, as much as 20% of the military hardware it deployed to the battlefield was damaged or destroyed. That percentage was given without providing a figure for the total amount of hardware committed; nor did it take into account how much of the damaged kit has since been repaired and redeployed.

It fell to another broadsheet to be more specific. The Washington Post reported that as of July 20 — or six weeks into the counteroffensive — “about a dozen” Bradleys have been destroyed, according to an anonymous U.S. defense official. Many more Bradleys have been damaged but repaired either locally or in Poland. Yet even this newspaper leaves out a crucial bit of context. Ukraine began this operation with 143 Bradleys and has since received or is about to receive 47 new ones, making a permanent loss of 12 amount to just 6% of its stock

That's seems the important part. It was flagged on here plenty of times that Ukraine only committed between 20% and 30% of the new western hardware (it's why we haven't seen any Challenger/Marders/Strykers/CV90's in action yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

No one here or the public in general will have any idea how this war really went until long after it's all over imho.

Too many ex general/colonels popping up to do interviews on youtube/msm over the past year and a half and they all have contradictory narratives. So again as I said, no one has a clue other than the decision makers at the highest levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Staromayorskoye, Volnovakha district, Donetsk People's Republic, Russia.

Very serious risks of surrendering the village.

If Staromayorskoye (held by the 5th Army) is surrendered, there is a serious risk of losing Urozhaynoye (held by the 36th Army - they will simply withdraw from it and say that they are occupying more favorable lines).

The enemy is trying to competently cut into the flanks of the positions of the 35th Army and take it into a cauldron. Everyone on the ground sees this, but they do not take countermeasures.

Commanders do not have enough competence to solve this problem. Now the issue is at the stage of shifting the blame on each other.

Ukrainian sources already say fighting is taking place in the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

More signs Ukraine's air defenses against putin's missile attacks are becoming more effective with over thirty of those launched today shot down:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's as much of a propaganda war as the physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Defence editor for the economist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The population was 4 as of 2018.[2] There are 2 streets😂😂

Still progress.

Why do these idiots broadcast this stuff for all to see??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

The real problem for Ukraine is that the Spring offensive, at current rates of success, would take 16 years to recapture it's territory. A lot is riding on the Spring offensive and I suspect some aircraft will give Ukraine an additional opportunity for another offensive, possibly later this year or maybe next Spring but by then, and without additional military equipment, we are unlikely to be in a situation where Russia or Ukraine will support a deal due to the cost of war, with both sides even further entrenched in combat.

The aim here should be winning the peace but winning the peace for Ukraine will not be some political deal with Russia where they don't join the EU and get non-Russian external security guarantees. South Korea is an example where an armistice can create an environment for progression and I think, at this point, Ukraine will be forced to surrender territory in order to move into the future. I suspect the NATO will back them until 2024 and then a deal will be on the table.

It's difficult to see peace for a long time, unfortunately. The only incentive I can see for a prolonged support for an Ukrainian offensive over the medium term is to deter both China and Russia, but I suspect the US is silently no longer worried about Russia in non-nuclear terms since the embarrassment of this war.

The other consideration to peace is Russia, they will want to go back to the status quo with Europe and the US which is impossible at this point, that may hold up any potential agreement between Russia and Ukraine.

It's difficult to see an end when the little master strategist in the Kremlin surrounds himself with lies. There are worse people around him. A war to deter NATO that brings NATO closer to your border... Genius.

Another Ukraine should give up some of its country for peace.

When will you lads learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Seems more fair for putin to give up some land to try make peace with Ukraine:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Polar101

You might want to check where your village is located.

"Amur district, Russia"

If Russia starts losing territory in the Amur, things are going pretty bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

If they don't make major gains and Russia hold on and Russia inflict heavy losses on the Ukrainians it will be very telling but if other way round could be huge for Ukraine. I say the Russian attacks to the north have forced Ukraine to attack with these reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Utter scutter. Seriously he's obviously paid by russia to produce that crap his other vids are worse. I recommend @serpentza on youtube to give you an excellent view on the contrast of China and it's blatant lies and propaganda as a whole comparded to our exposure. He lived, worked and vlogged there for years and is spilling the beans on the place the last year, he's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭rogber

All this will hopefully come to pass. All I said is there are no guarantees. Good doesn't always win, evil isn't always punished. Anyone who thinks differently is swapping reality for Hollywood movies

• Registered Users Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Can anyone really believe that? No one is going to publicly pre announce an offensive and the direction it will take place in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Well would you look at that. Those 2 houses are safe and Russia have retreated and are likely to retreat further.

These days you seem to be focusing a lot on what equates to country townlands in Ireland. Is that what Russia use to recognise and celebrate wins?

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Are you getting all your info from Russian mil bloggers on Telegram?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Speaking of Russian telegram some are now reporting Staromaiorske as lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Nice to see a little progress if that's true

Hopefully Russian offence in North has been stopped as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭rogber

That's all one possible scenario. Time will tell. It'll be a great day if he and his criminal band ever end up in the Hague, I'm just not very optimistic it'll happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Luhansk looks to have stabilised for now at least, with Russia pushed back a bit in a few locations. It also looks like it wasn't an intentional play by the Ukrainians to try and suck Russia into a pocket. They were caught off guard and even have been using areas on that front for training of new recruits. Very surprising, as mentioned previously, Russia haven't been known to simply accumulate large force concentrations unless they're going on the offensive.

Can someone explain to me why it's considered a bad thing to see that the Russian forces are only in the game because of minefields, which they had months to lay down?

If Ukrainian forces break through this layer of defense, anywhere, it really looks like Russia has little to keep them back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

While I've lived and worked for nearly 25 years in warzones all over the world, and can tell you pretty much what its like from a civilian point of view living in a city destroyed by war., I'm not military, so any discussion about tactics and weapons, I leave to the experts. Having watched the video, I'd say that he knows what he's talking about, but I think that what he's saying is just generalizing and not rocket science. Military wise. I'd imagine any other military analyst / commander would be thinking along the same lines. He mentions the first armored assault that got destroyed. That was always on the cards, which was why it was not a full scale attack. Ditto, he speaks about the imbalance, especially the air. He also mentions Russian soldiers having to buy their own protective gear to increase their survival chances, and the long duty cycle's Russians face V regular rotations of Ukrainian troops. He doesn't mention how many Family's can afford the better equipment, or what happens to this gear when they reach the front line, where Dedovschina is still alive and well, and they lose this expensive gear within a day or two after arrival. We will see 3 /4 mths down the road what he has to say, but maybe the most important thing he had to say was " You can train and equip men to the nth degree, but once the shooting starts, the outcome is never certain."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah seems to have been a mistake made by new recruits during a rotation of troops and miscommunication. Caught with pants down. It happens. It's war.

Situation stabilised and reversed in some cases.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Because, simply put, mines are gonna be a problem for the entire population living there after the war ends. Unless Russia has an exacting map of where the mines were placed, and hand it over to authorities when hostilities cease, you're talking about decades of potential death and maiming from mines yet to come. It's a sad, but repeated story across the world; even here in Europe unexploded WW2 bombs remain a thing.

For sure from a strategic point of view the mines & trenches of the Russias are a static line of defence that, if broken, could spell the end of Russia control in that area .. but mines are repugnant precisely because of the long term effect they'll have on those living in the cities, working the fields in future.

Advertisement